blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read  (Read 28428 times)
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »

REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read
The What, Why, Who, When & How

What?!
The title sets out the reasoning. I'm looking to raise money from blonde members, in the form of sponsorship for completing a 130 mile run/walk from Liverpool to Leeds. All fund raised will go directly to Reece and his family to go towards a holiday for him, and them.  The 4 day run/walk will follow the route of the Leeds Liverpool canal, which takes me right from Liverpool (including the newly build section in front of the Liver building etc, right through to where I live, in, er, Leeds - clever naming conventions back then see.

Why?
I really struggle to put into words what I mean when I say this, I hope that it makes sense to you. Basically I kind of feel inspired by the lad. Sometimes I get down about my life, which I have no problems in, and then I read one of Maureens updates about how Reece and his character are battling through all he has to deal with, and with a smile and a sense of humour to boot. That alone makes me slap myself round the face and sets me straight.

Also, after seeing first hand how difficult for families who care for dependants (which can be children of parents/grandparents) I understand far more of the emotional stress that it causes. Then there is the financial side as well.

Who?
Me. Go by the Blonde name of Rooky9 and have done since 2005 (i think, someone might be able to confirm?!), after being introduced by a mate. These days I tend to keep myself to the sports board, moaning about the fortunes (or lack of) of following my football team, but I do try to get out of there occasionally and view most boards. Reece's update thread being one of the first that I look out for.  As far as I know, apart from the odd little spat, I haven't upset too many people!

I'm doing this alone. To be honest, other than the fact that its going to be shear hell I think, I think it'll be easier on my own because I can go at my own pace. I'm doing 38 miles on day 1 so I will be free to do a couple of hours running, some walking, some more walking then some running then a climb up the Wigan flight before bed!

When?
This is all scheduled in for the first weekend in May, train booked etc, though if it looks like ridiculous weather then I reserve the right to gamble and delay it one week! I'm hoping May is not going to have a big freeze so I cant see a reason for it not being on the four days of may 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th.

How?
How can you help? Well you can help by donating any amount of money that you can spare for this great 'cause'. I don't want to offend by referring to Reece as a cause but raising funds towards a holiday to give him a lift can only be a good thing. I think many blonde's read the Reece updates and get the same feeling as me, and I'm hoping that this will provide people with a focus to be able to show their generosity and well wishes to Reece and the family.

The how you can transfer/send sponsorship is not quite finalised. Basically I'm not going to turn down any method that people are willing to donate by, be that bank transfers directly to Reece or poker site transfers. Everything will be done transparently and honestly, I'll go to extreme lengths to ensure that.

Well that's the proposal. Any questions then please fire away, other than that, I hope you are able to support the idea and we can make a small difference to someone very special.

Thanks

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »

I can confirm that the Mods have "cleared" this.

Please support it - perhaps at "x" pence per mile.

You do not have to name the amount you wish to sponsor for, if you prefer, you can do that discretely, via PM.

It's a terrific gesture by Chris, aka "Rooky9", a long-term blonde.

I will set the ball rolling, with a donation, & I hope some of you will follow suit.

Reece is a very special lad, & the support you have always shown foir him means a grreat deal.

Thanks.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »

Nice one Mr Rooky9 Sir! 

Put me down for 20p/mile.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »

fair play and well done,,,...,i will sponsor when your all sorted with bank transfer.,.,.,.wdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdwdd beats my swim around cyprus...,.,
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:59:35 AM by sofa----king » Logged

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:09 AM »

VWP...40p a mile from me if you finish within 4 days..20p a mile if you don't .....there's some motivation for ya Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

Well done Mr Rooky sir. You are an absolute star and it will be my privelidge to support you.

Will PM you later today.

The older I get, the better I was.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »

Well done Rooky, count me in.    Will PM you. PS are you doing it in fancy dress? 

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

VWP...40p a mile from me if you finish within 4 days..20p a mile if you don't .....there's some motivation for ya Smiley

ill have some of this as well
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:33 AM »

What can you say don't come much better than us geordies   Cheesy

Seriously tho great stuff rooky will defo sponser you will send you pm when i'm less intoxicated,nice one
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

Crazy challenge, good on you dude...

PM on its way Wink

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »

Thank you to those who have sponsored/donated so far. Much appreiated.

I'll keep this post updated with amounts so that there is full transparency over the funds. Some people have been in touch via pm, and I have replied to those people with a reference number. this will allow me to show them that their pledge is accounted for in the total whilst also allowing them to remain anon.

Nearer the time I will contact all those who have pledged money to let them know of the payment options so that they can select which is the most convenieant for them.

summary (I can't get a pound sign on my computer!)

Sponsor             Potential Donation                Conditions
technolog              26 pounds                           20p/mile
PM ref 1                50
PM ref 2                65                                      50p/mile
Boldie                    52                                      40p/mile if in 4 days (20p if more)
Cia260895              52                                     40p/mile if in 4 days (20p if more)
PM ref 3                20
PM ref 4                20                                      10 if I fall short of the chaalenge set out.
PM ref 5                65                                       50p for each mile completed.
PM ref 6                13                                       £1/ 10 miles
PM ref 7                15                                       £5 for first mile, £5 for getting half way, £5 for finishing
PM ref 8                20                                        Linked to potential winnings
PM ref 9                25
PM ref 10               52
PM ref 11               20
Additional 1             50
Additional 2             33
Additional 3             13
Additonal 4             20

Total                     611
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:02:43 PM by Rooky9 » Logged

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

Hold down the 'Alt' key and type '0163' on the numeric keypad.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

Hold down the 'Alt' key and type '0163' on the numeric keypad.

£

OMG. Legend!!!!

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:52:02 PM »

[ ] You're not wrong!

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »

Well I gave up my ticket for the Newcastle game (pre Shearer appointment) as I had the first real specific training session for this challenge scheduled in for today. 

I packed the backpack that I will be using on the challenge, two bottles of lucozade sport, a bag of haribo, my credit card, phone and a pair of tracksuit bottoms. Off I set for the short walk to Leeds station, a bargain £2.95 for a ticket to Bingley. The train took just 18 minutes. I didnt.

I've never been to Bingley before, and I didnt see too much of it on this trip. I found the canal from the station, well it is next to it, and made my way 'upstream' so I could have a gander at the 3 and 5 rise locks. The Leeds liverpool as a larger than normal amount of double treble and in this case a quintuple (okay I made that word up!) lock series. Unlike somewhere like Caen Hill locks, which is a flight of separate locks, these are all interconnected so are very steep.

I had started the forerunner when I got to the canal so I had clocked half a mile getting to the top lock of the 5 rise. I decided to round that to an even mile before starting any running, as a bit of a warm up. I had my running shorts, a long sleeve technical top and a running jacket. I only realised later on in the session that the jackets collar was preventing the shoulder strap from rubbing on my neck, but initially running with the bag was very strange. It wasnt particularly heavy but it was very different. 

I started running at the end of mile one, just at a pace I felt was comfortable, I kept checking the watch and this comfortable pace was around the 9 minute mile mark. I'd be more than happy with being able to run 26 9 minute miles (to given me a  sub 4 hour marathon in October) so for this challenge, for the running that I'll be doing I will be happy with anything between 9 and 10 minute miles for the running.

It was great running weather for the first hour or so. I ran from the end of mile one to mile 9 in 1h15m. This was fine, very comfortable with that distance, and at that pace, even with the bag I felt good. I had already thought to myself that I really want to test out the running and then walking and then running and then walking thing, so I had already made my mind up to stop after 8 miles of running.  The weather was getting a little warmer and so I was glad to take the chance to unzip the jacket and slow the pace. I can walk fairly comfortably at 13 to 14 minute miles, or at least I can for 45 minutes. I need to test out how I feel by doing a few hours walking next weekend. While walking I took the opportunity to have a bottle of drink and a decent chunk of Haribo. Haribo is my ultimate nemesis. I will never have a toned body because of my weakness for haribo! Anyway, that all settled well and I was into the 12th mile.

I took to making sure that the little white posts that mark out pretty much each and every mile and half mile along the canal were the correct distance apart. they were, or at least they agreed to my gps! They have a count on the mile ones showing distance to Leeds and Liverpool. I will look forward to seeing the Leeds number descend from 127 to 1.

I ran again for a couple of miles but by now I was feeling a little something in the muscles and it was getting warmer. I ran on. I could feel a blister developing in my blister spot on my right foot. I always get the there. I need to reinvest in some socks that will be up to this challenge and protect my foot. the last thing I want is to blister early on this as I find the sensation of running on blistered feet nauseating. Its like running on flesh rather than skin. yuck. Anyway I probably should have stopped and walked, because I dont really feel it when I walk. I ran through to the 14.5 mile mark, so a further 3 miles. i walked for a mile and then ran for the last two which takes me through Leeds back to my flat.

I didnt feel good. But 17.5 miles in 3hrs and a couple of minutes is very good pace. Probably too good. I'm looking to use between 8 and ten hours a day each day to get the required miles in. Basically I need to go a lot slower. I think the best way to do it will be to lower the running and increase the walking, perhaps even talking the opportunity to stroll for a mile or so. The canals are such interesting places, there is loads going on, even if there are no people around. I take my hat off to the engineers who built them, those who maintain them and I'm glad that these huge influences of the status of our country have been restored and can be enjoyed and used in a completely different way to how they were initially intended.

I have had a bit of a stretch, sat and saw the expected watching Jeff Stelling on SSN, and I am now going to replenish those 2,700 calories burnt. A takeaway pizza. Nice.

Thanks again to those that have sponsored. A few people sent me Pm's or have noted on the thread that they would like to sponsor. If you could get you drop me a note or post on the thread when you wish to make your pledge I'll keep the table a couple of posts up up to date.

So my feelings now. Well this is going to be very tough, tougher than I initially expected. I suppose I didnt really look past it all just being written down on paper! I'm looking forward to it though!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:23:06 PM by Rooky9 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: