blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read  (Read 28426 times)
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

WOW am glad yr doing it not me,I saw some sox somewhere that are diesigned for running,i think to help with blisters,will try to remeber where i saw them..

keep it up

something like these http://www.sportsaver.co.uk/acatalog/Compression_Socks.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:41:13 PM by cia260895 » Logged
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »

WOW am glad yr doing it not me,I saw some sox somewhere that are diesigned for running,i think to help with blisters,will try to remeber where i saw them..

keep it up

something like these http://www.sportsaver.co.uk/acatalog/Compression_Socks.html

I have gone for some '1000 mile fusion socks'. They do feel amazing! I'm going to try and let the blister I have fully heal before doing too much heavy stuff on it. I can still do squats and core work over the next week which should be fine. This will test my muscle strength rather than cardio so not doing usual runs shouldnt matter too much.

I plan to have a big training session a week on Saturday, then virtually two full weeks of rest before the challenge in the first weekend of May!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:02 AM »

Good Luck with this Rooky. It's a wonderful thing you are doing for young Reece.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »

Good Luck with this Rooky. It's a wonderful thing you are doing for young Reece.

hope the socks work,if they don't then don't blame me thumbs up
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »

The socks seem to do the trick. I did some diy chiropody on the last blister and it seems to be healing well. Just did a ten mile route yesterday, I want to make sure the foot is 100% ahead of next weekends full length practice session. I think I'm going to get the train up to Skipton and walk back down the canal to Leeds. Doing that will mean that By the time of the last day of the challenge it will be the third time I have done the Bingley to Leeds bit, but I cant see a better option for getting the mileage age on a suitable surface and with such good point to point attributes.

I saw a freiend in the pub last night who did a charity walk from Billingham to Sunderland a year or so ago, its about 36 miles so similar distances to my daily volume. Took them 11 hours and although the hip flexer prevented them being able to get up kerbs forward apparently the burning sensation only keeps you up for spells during the night!

I'm still confident. I'll know more about how confident I should be next sunday. After the 30 odd mile practice during saturday I'm supposed to be attending a stag do on the ottley run on the night! Should be interesting. I'll be taxi'ing between the pubs I reckon.

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 06:25:13 AM »

bump

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

When I get out this bath, in about two hours, I will attempt to explain my distress at discovering another reason that being 6ft 4 is crap.

30.5miles in the tank. I'm not in a good way at the mo!

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

When I get out this bath, in about two hours, I will attempt to explain my distress at discovering another reason that being 6ft 4 is crap.

lol...can't wait to hear this Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »

Sorry to disappoint, its not even that interesting, was just in a bad place at the time! I do need to work on expectation management.

Basically I'm not happy that bath's seem to come in a standard size that isnt big enough for me to be able to cover all of my body up to my neck. I either have to choose to have the legs all in, in which case I'm in a sitting position with most my upper body out of the water, or have my legs bent at the knees to get my upper body in. Crazy. I really needed an all over soak to ease my pain. I'm going back for another one after I have ruined this domino's pizza.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »

Sorry to disappoint, its not even that interesting, was just in a bad place at the time! I do need to work on expectation management.

Basically I'm not happy that bath's seem to come in a standard size that isnt big enough for me to be able to cover all of my body up to my neck. I either have to choose to have the legs all in, in which case I'm in a sitting position with most my upper body out of the water, or have my legs bent at the knees to get my upper body in. Crazy. I really needed an all over soak to ease my pain. I'm going back for another one after I have ruined this domino's pizza.

True bath sizes, or bed sizes for that matter, are a bit of a bastard when you're normal sized (6" and over.anything less is freakishly short for a man IMO)...We had to get a super kingsize just so I could fit in a bed FFS!

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
barhell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »

True bath sizes, or bed sizes for that matter, are a bit of a bastard when you're normal sized (6" and over.anything less is freakishly short for a man IMO)...We had to get a super kingsize just so I could fit in a bed FFS!

Super kingsize with a tempur memory foam matress for FTW

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:38 PM »

Might have to try sleeping tablets on the challenge. I know they aren't a good form of sleep but must be better than being kept awake by throbbing muscles (my leg muscles) and aching joints (knees and ankles).

Low point.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:32 AM »

So yesterday was the first (and last) full training 'run'. I planned to get the 8.19 train to Skipton but when I got up the F1 qualifying was on so I ended up on the 8.56. I was a bit upset to find that while it costs 2.95 to get to Bingley it costs 7.50 to get to Skipton, which is clear diseconomies of scale! Anyway, got up to skipton at about 9.45 and set off on the route back to Leeds.

I havent done the Skipton to Bingley section before, so a combination of having new stuff to look at and being relatively fresh meant that the first two hours flew by. I did 8 miles in the first two hours before taking a 5 minute break for a banana and a drink. Actually I had mistimed the drinking before I started as I had to go to the toilet twice within the first couple of miles - luckily this stretch was very quiet!

Just under two hours later I made it to Bingley 5 rise, which has a cafe. I stopped for about 20 minutes to woof down a nice tuna sandwich and salad then set back off down the stretch I have done before. A bag of Haribo fangtastic probably wasnt needed straight after the sandwich, but was consumed anyway!

It was a conscious decision to walk as much as possible on this session, I really wanted to see how much I could do, so I know what I can fall back on during the challenge. As it turns out after another couple of hours I was really tired of walking, mainly in the ankles, and a little bit in the knees. At 22.5  miles I could take no more of walking, so I had a 30 second stretch and set off for a bit of running. After 3 miles running, at about 8.5 min miles my left big toe really started hurting, felt like it was swelling and about to burst. I needed another toilet stop anyway so I decided to stop, do that, and see how the toe felt. It wasnt hurting so I set off again walking for a bit. It was a pretty hot day yesterday so the running had induced a bit of sweat!

with two miles left to go I decided I'd run that bit, though to be fair that was mainly because I wanted to make the kick off of the FA cup game. I did, and I was absolutely knackered. If at any time I have been under the impression that I could complete this challenge by just putting the hours in and walking it all, rather than running and walking, then this has put me in my place. Yesterday I averaged 4 miles an hour from start to finish, so I'm really pleased with that given the breaks for lunch etc. The down side is that this session was only longer than one of my planned four for the challenge.

This morning my ankles are sore and my hamstrings feekl very very tight. I'm going to go for a bit of a trot later to loosen and stretch them. I'm trying not to think about the fact that during the challenge I would be doing another 30+ miles on them today!

Challenges are not supposed to be easy I guess, and the difficulty of this is certainly not lost on me now!

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

impressive IMO..you're a sick man.

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »

Gr8 going rooky

sounds painful though

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: