blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: REECE FUNDRAISER - Please Read  (Read 28436 times)
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »

bendigedig

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

So, how do I go about trying to write some sort of report on that?! A lot of it is a bit of a blur, it would have to be, about 40 hours all in and at times you really have to concentrate on just making one foot go in front of the other, then at other times you just have to completely block out what you are doing, let the legs work themselves and think or do something else just to stop you going mad!

The basic journal log would be something like this…

Day 1
I woke up at 6.10am on the Saturday morning. I hate early starts, but it wasn’t too bad, a lot easier with it being bright and sunny and my blackout blind not actually covering the whole of the window!

I did a final check of my back pack, got showered, did all the things that runners do, before getting dressed. The station is less than a mile away from where I live in Leeds, I didn’t appreciate at the time what the last mile would feel like compared to this.  Into the station, to W H Smiths to be ripped off for some bits and pieces for the trip and on the 7.08 train to Liverpool.

It had been recommended to me from a scouse workmate to get a taxi from Lime street to the Liver building thing. I decided to walk instead. I found it easy enough, probably just over a mile I guess. Again, I didn’t really appreciate that this additional mileage would catch up on me.

So I started the watch after a brief stretch and followed this new stretch of canal into the various connected docks. I then had to make my way alongside a road rather than a canal to pick up the start of the actually Leeds Liverpool canal about 1.6 miles away.

The first 10 miles or so were uneventful. I didn’t pass a single boat and only a handful of people. The sun was out, I had noticed that. I hadn’t brought suncream and I do tend to burn. Oh dear.

I had three or four toilet stops in the first 90 minutes. I’m not sure a girl could do this challenge, purely for the need to find somewhere suitable to lose the excess liquid that is taken in!

The plan was to get a few hours solid walking in before having a run before lunch. As it was I made decent time just walking so decided not to bother pushing it.

The plan had also been to carry all the stuff that I would need/couldn’t buy easily in the back pack for the first two days. I had a hold all packed off with my boss who I was staying with on the second night so could do a change over for the last two days. In this respect the plan changed. My parents had initially said they would come meet me for lunch and tea on the first day, then it developed to them staying over the night in Wigan and seeing me on my way to Burnley. In the end they saw me from just outside Liverpool through to Skipton. They drove to various points on the root and I’d have 5 minutes in the car, getting water etc. At various points one would walk a couple of miles with me.

Anyway I digress. I didn’t do the running as planned, as there wasn’t need to and I arrived in Maghull in time to see my mum and dad had walked half a mile down canal to meet me and show me where the pub lunch was. Just as they did so I felt my left knee twinge. I don’t think I landed awkwardly or anything but it was really hurting every time it moved. In fact it got worse with every single step towards the pub. Not a good sign with 116 miles to go. I sat and ate my lunch. I was pretty worried about my knee.  I had some of the bandage support tubing stuff in my medical kit (!) so I cut that in half and put one on my left knee. It didn’t really feel any better, but what could I do.

From the outset of this challenge not completing it has never been an option. I’d have been dragged off in a bag before I quit, but I have to admit that this knee pain had me thinking the whole what if I cant go on, what if I fail type stuff. Not a nice thought. A lot of people knew about the thing I was doing, and the thought of having to admit that I hadn’t/couldn’t do it was as big a motivator as the thought of the two people who I was doing it for, and who would be let down (I can’t work out what that says about me and whether it’s good or bad!). Anyway, once there isn’t an option of failing then the choices along the way are pretty simple, you just keep going.

The knee did ease off a bit after the next few miles and soon enough I was 20 odd miles in. Passing half way was always nice, but seeing 5+ hours down and another 5+ hours to go was hard to take.

The knee had ruled out any running and I just didn’t see the point in risking it. Actually I did run for about two minutes, just to confirm that it wasn’t the thing to do!

I had another meeting with the ‘support team’ (!) before they headed off to find the hotel and get a taxi back out to Appley Bridge to do the last 5 miles with me. I’m glad they did. The last 10 miles on day one were pretty tough. One or two areas began to blister a little, but I stopped and applied the recommended compeed tape asap. My legs were tired, the pace had been good but it had been a really long day and I was just plain tired.

The original plan had been to get to Wigan top lock, which would have been a total of 38.5 miles in day one, however without having been able to run it was getting late ish. We decided to stop about halfway through the Wigan locks where a fairly main road came and we were able to get a taxi back to the hotel. 37.74 miles in the bag.

The hotel had a Taybarns restaurant attached to it. I’d never heard of the brand before, I’m not sure if it is a chain or not, I presume so, it had that look. Anyway it was an ‘all you can eat’ place. Brilliant, just what I need. It did all kinds of food you can think of, but I stuck to the pasta and pizza. I didn’t eat as much as I thought I would. Probably because I was sick of hobbling to the counters on my now stiff knee.

I headed off for a bath before heading to bed at about 10pm.

I didn’t sleep well.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »

Day 2

I got up at 6.45am. All through the night I had been waking up. On the hour for a drink as my mouth was bone dry. Twenty past the hour as my knee was hurting and my legs were throbbing. Twenty to the hour as I needed the toilet. That pattern went on most the night.

I had an extra mile to do so I started a touch earlier. I remember a bit less about this day.

My knee was really hurting, the first couple of hours were real energy killers. Every single step felt like ten. I was walking slightly funny to try to help my knee but that was hurting my foot! There was no way I could carry that pattern on. I called the support team. They had been aware that I was struggling with my knee, even though I hadn’t said anything. The bandage thing wasn’t doing enough so I asked them if they could find a proper knee support to see if that helped.

The sun was now out as it neared lunchtime. The knee support had be procured and delivered at an ideal time. I managed to get it on, and in the process realised I had burnt calves (or is it carf’s?!). The support was tight and had been agony as it stretched over the top of the worst burnt bit.

Having got the support on it was only 4 miles to the pub picked for lunch. The knee support was brilliant, did the job and the four miles to that lunch were pretty comfortable.

With it being Sunday the pub was reasonably busy and the prospect of Sunday lunch was tempting, instead I went for a posh burger and chips, not ideal energy but it was all that they had that seemed to take my fancy on the reduced Sunday menu choice.

After lunch it was on to Blackburn. Maureen had asked to meet up and I had said 2pm in Blackburn. I didn’t realise that Blackburn was so big. Stretched along the canal. Anyway I made my way in and met Maureen and Darren at the end of the Blackburn embankment. It was good to see smiling faces and we all chatted and walked along through Blackburn.

The pace was going well and it was nice to have the company, though quite an element of the challenge needed to be my ability to get through this myself. To some degree I actually class having the support team as cheating. There is also the fact that I don’t like people seeing me struggle and I don’t want to be short with people, and there was a real risk of both those things at points where I got really tired.

Maureen walked a bit further with me whilst Darren went for the car. We must have covered 4 miles or so together I think, which was really nice.

I had another meet with my parents mid afternoon. I was making decent time and on for meeting my boss just short of Burnley at the planned time. The last stretch was 10 miles and I was going alone.

These ten were probably the hardest of the whole thing. Up there with the last stretch on day one and the mornings of two and three. I had absolutely nothing left. It was hot again as it had been all day 1 and two. There were a few twists on the canal that meant you just didn’t seem to be going anywhere. The towpath was changing sides regularly which meant steep climbs up to bridges and painful steps down the slope on the other side. Downhill was worse than uphill.

I passed half way on this section, both of the canal and of my challenge (which were out by about a mile). As with the daily half ways it was both delightful and destroying at the same time. I still had the same again to go?! I’m absolutely knackered!

I dug in. The ipod was really handy for time like this. I played with my phone a bit too. Anything to take my mind of the last few miles and the general tiredness and knee pain I had.

Half a mile from the end I had the smiling faces of my parents and boss and all three helped me through the last section. I fell into my bosses car. He drove us the 20 mins or so to his house, my parent headed to their hotel. I had a shower and changed, which made me feel a bit better. We ate homemade lasagne followed by homemade Xmas pudding and custard! Ideal and delicious.

I avoided the alcohol offered and stuck to water.

I still didn’t sleep well.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »

Fantastic Rooky, not just the run/walk itself but the reasons why you did it. I don't even know you but I think you are one in a million. It is so heart warming to see such giving from one human being to another. Marvelous and bloody well done.

Please PM me for payment, it will be doubled after reading the punishment you went through. Swan pics required though.  Grin

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

Today out of the blue Reece said " I remember Rooky, I remember his name don't I Grandma, he is sending me to Dinosaur land will I see him again. You must have made a big impression. Not too sure if you recall but a brief thing you yesterday referred to the way Reece may remember you. I can not exactly recall your exact words as at the time all I was thinking was I hope he doesn't think we are going to hold him from getting home...I just wanted you to go home and relax as best you could.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »

Day 3
The start of day 3 will have been the most painful I think. My knee was really sore, I hadn’t slept well for the second night running and I still had 58 miles to go. The first three miles took a full hour as I made my way through Burnley, passing Turf Moor in the process. Again I had to have about three toilet stops in the first 90 minutes, which is more difficult in the urban areas!

Once I got through Burnley the knee pain began to wear off. The pace didn’t really pick up too much, it was just a case of getting through the day rather than speed.

The original plan was to have day 3 as a short day, just 24 miles, so that I could get the to B&B in Gargrave at a reasonable hour and get a decent amount of rest in. This would have left about 36 for the last day, which I thought would be fine with the last day energy kicking in. As it turned out I decided that I should try and make it to Skipton, a further 5 miles on, then get a lift back to the B&B and a taxi back to the start for day 4.

Day three was largely rural and involved making my way round the two tunnels on this canal. The first was in the first mile or so in Burnley and I had a bit of a nightmare finding my way round the streets about the tunnel (there aren’t any towpaths in most tunnels). As I was struggling with the knee each wrong turn was like a nail being hammered into my knee. Still I hooked back up with the canal at the other end and was off on my way.

I don’t remember an awful lot of Day three, it really was just head down and plough through. By this point I knew there was no doubt that I would be finishing it, and with a good shout of being on time, but you always have to keep telling yourself its still another 14,13, 12, 11, 10 hours of moving left to go. Each mile that ticked by I would look at the pace, look at the days total then try to mentally calculate how many miles that meant I had left. I think I may have mentioned before but I really did lose the ability to think properly at times, especially with maths (worrying for an accountant) – I was just really tired.

I had lunch just past the second tunnel which had involved a longer walk than the first, though it was more direct. This stretch was on the top pound so I knew the next lock I came to would be a ‘down lock’ rather than an up one. That was mentally quite a boost, even though going down hill hurt my legs more than going up.

My sister came over in the afternoon to add to the support from my parents. They decided to walk from Gargrave to Skipton with me, which would increase the mileage today but reduce tomorrows. Just before Gargrave there is a very picturesque but sole destroying few miles. The canal hugs the slide of the hills and you meander round for about three miles. At one point you can seen that where you were an hour ago is actually only a few hundred metres from where you are now, looking back at the apex’s of the previous two hairpin bends.

It was poor weather on day three, rained all day though to be fair never that hard. I had still managed to get pretty soaked so I added a dry layer when I meet my family in Gargrave and we set of for Skipton.

I was tired at a far earlier mileage on day three than any other and I would have been happy to stop at 24 miles, however it really seemed to make sense to keep going while I had the support and most importantly reduce the final day mileage from being the second furthest of the challenge.

As we approached Skipton I could see that there was a swan about three or four hundred metres in front of us – nothing too strange there I had passed a load of birds on the trek so far. However, this one was huge, you could see that from where I was. It had its wings clipped back making it look even more aggressive. It clocked us and started to make a very deliberate waddle towards us. Its strides almost so big that its body was rotating 180 degrees with each stride. It had its neck fairly extended but its heas tucked against it, like a boxer keeping his chin on his torso. It didn’t look like a good situation.

Regardless, tired and stubbornly I decided that this thing would move. I have as much right as it to be on this bloody towpath and I pose no harm to it. I continued towards it. It didn’t move. We were now at about 15m range and the support team advised we think again. My point was where the hell can we go. I’m not walking the 3 miles back to civilisation, I physically couldn’t. The swan kept advancing.

We decided that we should retreat a few metres to see what happened. The swan kept coming. We decided to retreat a little further, where instead on there being a 20m embankment to the side of the towpath there was a 5ft dry stone wall.

It became apparent we would need to climb on to the dry stonewall and see if the swan just walked past. We (my parents being in the mid 50’s and my sister being 5’2’’) climbed up, I was the last to drag my self up. We stood there and the swan stopped right by us. There was then a stand off. We had haribo and the egg ones in star mix look a bit like bread so we attempted a decoy by throwing it into the canal for the swan to fetch (to be fair I nearly went for them, waste of good haribo!). It didn’t take the bate.

The stand off lasted a couple of minutes and I said that there was no way we could just stand there. I decided we would jump off the wall into the farmers field. There was 3 lines of barb wire in addition to the wall height, and the wire was probably there for humans as much as horses, but this was an exceptional circumstance.

I made my sister go first. She is the smallest and by far the lightest and so less chance of breakage! My Dad then followed. We had to talk my mum through it, and she got it wrong in her scared state, getting caught up on the barb wire. She was okay though. Now for me! The bag went first then I just had to decide how to land. Too much on the left leg and I was finished, all on my right side (the good side) and I’d probably hurt that too. I jumped, a 6.0 on the landing, and we all made our way through the field adjacent to the canal.

There was a culvert not too far down the field so I knew there would be a route back on to the canal because a length inspector would use it to come and look a the culvert once a month. There was and we climbed up the small ladder to see the stupid (but massive) swan still stood 50m up the canal where we jumped off the wall.

We continued down to Skipton.

A pub meal (bit of a running theme there) and off to my B&B as I said goodbye to my valuable support team.

I didn’t sleep well

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

Day 4

I woke up at 6.15am, slept a little better than the previous two nights, but not great. I had a taxi booked to take me to Skipton at 7.25am, and the second B of the B&B was ordered for 7am. In the 45 minutes I had to get all my clothes together, which had been spread round the room to dry, do the daily preparation on the feet etc shower and change.

I had the full English option for breakfast. Well, when in Rome! It was nice, but naughty. Very naughty.

I wasn’t feeling too bad. I had put the knee support on straight after the shower, so it had been on for an hour before I started. I’m not sure if it was that or the fact it was the last day, but it wasn’t giving me as much noticeable pain as before. The start pace wasn’t too bad, and I knew it would get me into Leeds for 5pm.

Only a couple of miles in and I had another Swan encounter. I had seen a swan nesting here last time, but hadn’t had any issues. This time the dad was prowling and although not quite as big or angry as the one the day before I decided to take a slight detour along the adjacent road as a precaution. I think I now have a fear of swans!

A few miles later and I could feel that all of my leg joints were really tired, but the prospect of being in my own bed on the night really took anything away from it.

It seemed to drag, again this could either have been because it was the last day or because I had done this section before. I knew each step was getting me closer though and it was just a case of head down, keep going, and sooner or later I’ll be finished.

I kept hydrated with water and lucozade sport, and energised by a bag of haribo in the afternoon.

By mid afternoon I really was in the final stretch. The count from 4.25 seemed to take forever, but eventually I could see the Leeds skyline. I made my way from the end of the canal through town, along the river.

Waiting for me at the top of the bank was Maureen, Darren, Reece and 12barblues. It was good to see Reece looking so well, though as Maureen says it’s still no where near ideal with him looking so good because he is back on the TPN most nights.

I got a thank you and a hug for helping to send him to Dinosaur land. I asked which his favourite was and what they did. It’s the T-Rex and we got an impression of their roar. You can tell he’s a clever little lad, and he was weighing me up!

Actually it’s a really important point, its not just me who is helping send him to dinosaur land. A massive thank you to all sponsors. It is all massively appreciated.

I didn’t feel too bad at the end. I didn’t feel any particular sense of achievement, I just felt tired. I was in that unable to think stage that came on after about 8 hours each day. I knew that I had hurt my knee, and that I would suffer with it, but on the whole I think I was in better shape than I thought I would be. Not having any blisters of note was a huge benefit.

I headed off home, via work to show my face to the sponsors I gained for cancer research from there. I was going to have a long bath, but apparently warm baths aren’t great. Instead I had a shower and headed to Morrison’s to select some tea treats.

I did have time to weigh myself after the shower. I had managed to put on 1lb in weight from before I left for Liverpool. Decent effort that considering I burnt best part of 14,000 calories doing it. I’m pretty sure I can’t have eaten that much!

I watched the first half of the football and went to bed. I lay there, glad that I had done it, but never again!

I didn’t sleep well

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

I feel quite inadequate for only taking it up the arse for the cause !!

Rooky you are a hero mate.

We each stuck to our specialist subjects?! I really fancy the benefits of a colonic, but like giving blood, I just cant work up the courage to do it.

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

I don't quite know what to say here. I honestly felt for you every day, what you put yourself through is beyond words that I can ever express. I know one fella that won't ever forget what you have done for him, including all those of you that donated to this and other Reece fund raising events thus hopefully making his dream of going to Dinosaur land possible.. A VERY BIG THANK YOU ROOKY, KEV AND ALL.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »

Why take on this challenge? Well to be honest the idea came to me when I was trying to think how I could raise enough money to get a London marathon place through a charity. Until mid June I work for the organisation that looks after the Leeds Liverpool canal and I thought by doing something canal related I could tap into the 1700 employees to get to the target figure. As it happens I didnt get a charity place so the dea kind of fell away.

At the start of this year we found out my Grandad had cancer, and he became unwell really quickly. A few weeks later he was gone. He was a great bloke, so funny. Like many of their generation he started with nothing and worked hard his whole life to support his family. That allowed my Dad to get qualifications and a good job. That then alllowed my parents to support me through university and get to where I am now, to which i will probably never be able to tell tham how thankful I am.

I got my results to tell me i had passed all my ACCA exams in February, and can now call myself a qualified accountant (not that you'd ever really want to do that!). I did the course through weekend college so lost quite alot of free time. Passing the exams opened that time back up.

I have been a member of the blonde forum for nearly 4 years now (though only ever made BB1 with college) and Reece's story captured me. I know everyone has problems, but I love the way this little lad seems to have so much fight and such a positive outlook. I wanted to try and help give him another reason to smile.

So the combination of those things gave me the idea, motivation and opportunity to take it on.

Thank you so much to all the sponsors. I will be in touch with all those who confirmed, and those who expressed an interest, to sort payment details.

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »

WOW not only can you walk and run you can write superbly as well ,

TOP MAN...

how's the knee now?
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

I think I have sent PMs to all the confirmed sponsors, with the exception of the PM reference 5 sponsor, I cant find who that is from my outbox! If you are PM reference 5 can you let me know!! I have just exceeded my allowed PMs, but I will work through those that showed an interest too in due course.

Hopefully I'll get through all the responses reasonably quickly.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2009, 08:28:36 PM »

WOW not only can you walk and run you can write superbly as well ,

TOP MAN...

how's the knee now?

I'm not sure about that, certainly for quality, but thank you.

My knee is still hurting, pretty much all the time. It does seem to be getting better slowly. I have had it looked at and advised to follow the RICE technique! Leeds 10k in 6 weeks so it better heal quickly!

suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:42 AM »

£s sent earlier this evening and after reading your excellent trip report I have decided to double it.

Well done Chris and  thumbs up to your family and all who supported you along the way 
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »

£s sent earlier this evening and after reading your excellent trip report I have decided to double it.

Well done Chris and  thumbs up to your family and all who supported you along the way 

Thank you, very generous too.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: