blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:57:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  3 handed, how does uber-shortie affect the move?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 handed, how does uber-shortie affect the move?  (Read 2101 times)
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

$27 18-man tournament. 4 paid. 3 left.

Payout:
1st: $180
2nd: $135
3rd: $90
4th: $45

What's our move here on the button. We have only 9bbs but the shortie changes things a lot here right?

***** Hand History for Game 32285762959 ***** (Poker Stars)
Tourney Hand NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, August 31, 10:03:46 ET 2009
Table 191649094 1 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Seat 2: neil_rick ( $18258.00 USD )
Seat 4: nassauer3 ( $1405.00 USD )
Seat 7: epitomised ( $7337.00 USD )
neil_rick posts ante of [$50.00 USD].
nassauer3 posts ante of [$50.00 USD].
epitomised posts ante of [$50.00 USD].
neil_rick posts small blind [$400.00 USD].
nassauer3 posts big blind [$800.00 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to epitomised [   ]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:55:34 PM by MC » Logged

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »

Meh pretty sucky spot as I don't really like any of our options. I think I probably just fold readless.

Reads on how wide the bb will call here are vital.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

easy fold - sb will jam for you

or if you know he will play ball (ONLY IF YOU KNOW), you can call,  he calls - shorty should jam you both just call - if he doesnt jam you check it down

you gotta know he is going to help you bust the shorty

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
salfi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:01 AM »

if u min raise sb shud ship if u fold sb wil fold also  as he can pwn u on the mini bubble.  top regs pwn u and  bad regs let u get your own way and try get the bb all in. its total read dependent here as all three options pre are exploitable by thinking players.....  shoving least exploitable but obviously the riskier of the three options. ude have to add a lot more information to do a mathamatical calculation of the best play long term.ibest i can come up with is
http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/icmcalculator.html?action=calculate&bb=800&sb=400&ante=50&structure=0.66%2C0.33&s1=18258&s2=1405&s3=7337&s4=&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=&s9=
 but i dont always shove k9 here even though the math suggests i shud . i shove more the likely and get spite called and finish 3rd more then likely but mhhh happens. interesting thing in this spot is u shud get spite called here by the chip leader so often its painfull. but math suggests its as break even a spot as u wil get but its deffo beter to push then fold it seams.
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »

i shove

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »

I probs fold

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

Interesting that you have some maths to say shove Salfi. I put this in on SNG wiz and thought I was way-off when it said something like 88+ and AJ+!

I actually shoved and obv got jammed by the sb and bust 3rd, and it felt like I'd donked it.

I guess all options do suck here. I actually think outrageous's suggestion might have worked best.

salfi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »

if u know for sure he sb shoves u can pass and hope. but if he decent and knows u are a thinking player he can/wil know he can pwn u. he wil fold sb and just pwn u so he attempt to get either of u hu with a super short stack. thing is i find in these games tryin to pwn dont work(so he prob wont and most people arnt good enough to pwn correctly)  cause people jizz on there screen when they sea an ace and spite there own equity for the chance to have the best hand. i fold quite often in these spots now cause of spiters but it shud be a shove from a math point of view i guess. just one of them spots where u destined to get beat up. long term though when it suggests the edge is 0.000000gayness then all three options shudnt make to much difference. folding is probly best to try get second but u do give up to much equity of 1st place by folding it suggests.   these spots are more important to study in steps when the equity of been spited really costs u a lot of equity. steps are my fav game for spots like this cause pwning is a must to maximize return esp against decent regs who are playin 215buy ins plus who understand icm spite calling and pwning, donks in 18mans dont knwo much about anything apart from i have ace hi wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lets get it all in the middle and dance the funky chicken
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »

donks in 18mans dont knwo much about anything apart from i have ace hi wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lets get it all in the middle and dance the funky chicken

lol

yeah I know what you're saying man. I'm obv uber aggressive on the bubble if I have the chip lead, and it's shocking how many ppl get it in with K5s and stuff.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »

I actually shoved and obv got jammed by the sb and bust 3rd, and it felt like I'd donked it.

I guess all options do suck here. I actually think outrageous's suggestion might have worked best.

you did and thanks

at the end of the day you dont wanna bust here with such a shorty - if he doubles thru then the game keeps going - if he doesnt he doesnt

you can easily get spite called here - even regs do it periodically

by the same token - if you both co-operate to take him out - you have achieved your goal (guaranteeing 2nd). Even the CL will know that HU he is only 2 hands from loosing in a sng - and if he is a multi tabling reg - he would sooner lock up 2nd place and just jam it out for 1st

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
salfi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »

been results orientated?. me still think math is king
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:53 AM »

Interesting that you have some maths to say shove Salfi. I put this in on SNG wiz and thought I was way-off when it said something like 88+ and AJ+!

serious?! thats truly enlightening. Maybe i shoulda listened harder to David Tighe...
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »

Competant SB = fold
Other = minraise

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »

Yeah I think SB was competant.

Don't think I'm being results orientated on this one Salfi, it's just bb is so short and K9 is so marginal. It's good to know my shove wasn't terrible like I thought it might have been at the time, but I think there are better options out there.

Lol yeah Alex, ICM is a funny thing like that. Sometimes it's going too far though. Like KQ and AT aren't shippable in this spot.

keilan303

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »

Limp or minraise, SB gets out the way without a hand, smashes it in with a hand... then watch the SB and BB race, rooting for the SB! 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: