blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Alan Turing - an overdue apology?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan Turing - an overdue apology?  (Read 10895 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

If yes do you think he is the most deserving person who doesn't have one? Can you name others you'd put in front?

I don't think that proves anything - that's just to do with the selection process in general.

Kin, if he was straight and lived a normal life following his work would you know about him today?

The few places in print and film where his achievements are recognised rarely talk about his homosexuality - so that's a moot point on some levels.

Many people wouldn't have known about him, many people don't know about his work - doesn't mean they shouldn't though.

As a computer science graduate I obv know all about his work and what it means for the field of computing. I didn't know about his homosexuality or death though..

Blue text
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »

Kin, if he was straight and lived a normal life following his work would you know about him today?

Of course I bloody would!!  One of the greatest minds Britain's ever produced.  I refer to my OP.

If yes, would you still think he should have a Knighthood?

Erm, I think I've covered this already - yes, definitely.

If yes do you think he is the most deserving person who doesn't have one? Can you name others you'd put in front?

I've said that I don't care much for the honours system, but I think he's one of the most important British people of the last few hundred years that many people know nothing or very little about.  I'll have a think of others who also lack the recognition they deserve...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2009, 02:10:15 PM »

Crick, Watson and Wilkins probably don't get a huge amount of recognition from the general public - although as Nobel Prize winners it's not quite right to say that they haven't been recognised.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »

I know this was addressed to Kin, but even so I've got give my view on it.

If you get a chance read Simon Singh's "The Code Book - The Secret History of Codes and Code Breaking". Turing provided the quantum leap in code breaking and by breaking some of the Enigma machines (as I remember they never managed to break the German Navy's network). Considering at one point we were back across the channel & looked like losing the war, even with good inside information on German troop movement & plans from Turing & the rest at Bletchley Park, I think it's a safe conclusion to draw that we could have lost the war before Pearl Harbour bought the Yanks in without their efforts.

The Knighthood would be nothing to do with his sexuality, his work more than earned the honour.

I'm not a fan of the honours system really, but I can't off hand think of many more deserving whose contribution has been left unpraised by the establishment.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »

Of course I bloody would!!  One of the greatest minds Britain's ever produced.  I refer to my OP.

I've said that I don't care much for the honours system, but I think he's one of the most important British people of the last few hundred years that many people know nothing or very little about.  I'll have a think of others who also lack the recognition they deserve...

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »

Who do you reckon Tom?

Wink

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

If you get a chance read Simon Singh's "The Code Book - The Secret History of Codes and Code Breaking". Turing provided the quantum leap in code breaking and by breaking some of the Enigma machines (as I remember they never managed to break the German Navy's network). Considering at one point we were back across the channel & looked like losing the war, even with good inside information on German troop movement & plans from Turing & the rest at Bletchley Park, I think it's a safe conclusion to draw that we could have lost the war before Pearl Harbour bought the Yanks in without their efforts.

The Knighthood would be nothing to do with his sexuality, his work more than earned the honour.

I'm not a fan of the honours system really, but I can't off hand think of many more deserving whose contribution has been left unpraised by the establishment.

Thanks hun, pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly there.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

No, you fool - Rod is a Celtic fan.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

No, you fool - Rod is a Celtic fan.

Oh, I know that - as does Rod.  'Thanks Fenian *******' doesn't have the same ring to it..

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »

I think Tikay should be knighted

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »

For services to?

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »

For services to?

Longevity?

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »

For services to?

Television?

Poker?

Michelle Orpe?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »

what are the rules on being knighted if you're not british? I know they're quite strict and not many non brits make the cut. just wondering if jebus would be allowed to be a sir

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

For services to?

Television?

Poker?

Michelle Orpe?

Nope ... Hair dye Wink

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one