blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:00:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272613 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  biggest sports star in the world?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: biggest sports star in the world?  (Read 7730 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

the op is biggest sports stars the wwe isnt a sport

ban please
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »

the comps taylor is crushing are a lot harder than the ones bristow won  the averages and stats show that

But as I see it, it's not that the average score etc is getting better - that's evolution of people & the equipment, it's conquring the opposition when there really is a competition.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »

ban please

and reraise the great khali (he is shit, but I think he might be bigger than the big show)
DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »

khali taller big show heavier imo
DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 04:03:42 PM »

Another side argument does have to involve the popularity of the sport. Yes Jordan is deffo up there as one of the most iconic figures in their chosen field, but basketball is not particularly big outside of the states. Boxing, footy, golf, tennis, F1 etc all have a much broader appeal across the world and the stars are not just icons in their homeland but across the globe (Regrettably boxing isnt as popular as it was).

Basketball is bigger than you give it credit for, it is big in China (the Yao Ming factor) and in a lot of European countries.

Fair enough. I think its just my natural haste to discount any American sports as 'not proper sports'

Another little aside, who would everyone say was the most dominant snooker player? To me, if you can forget the last 10-15 years, Steve Davis was one of the most dominant players in any sport. Not Ronnie though, he is a dousche

stephen hendry imo
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »

ban please

and reraise the great khali (he is shit, but I think he might be bigger than the big show)

I thought you were a wrestling fan?

Giant Gonzalez obv taller...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »

ban please

I ddin't think he was, but this list gives him as bigger... but this is the billed height. Having seen the Big Show in person, I don't want to meet anyone bigger tbh.

Top 10 tallest men in WWE (billed)
1. Paul Bunyan - 8ft 2in
2. Giant Gonzalez - 8ft
3. Andre The Giant - 7ft 4in
4. The Great Khali - 7ft 3in
5. The Big Show - 7ft 2in
6. Kane - 7ft
7. Kevin Nash - 6ft 11in
8. The Undertaker - 6ft 10.5in
9. Big John Studd - 6ft 10in
10. Big Daddy V - 6ft 9.5in

DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »

ban please

I thought you were a wrestling fan?

Giant Gonzalez obv taller...
he was shite so bad having to watch undertaker lose to him
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »

Another side argument does have to involve the popularity of the sport. Yes Jordan is deffo up there as one of the most iconic figures in their chosen field, but basketball is not particularly big outside of the states. Boxing, footy, golf, tennis, F1 etc all have a much broader appeal across the world and the stars are not just icons in their homeland but across the globe (Regrettably boxing isnt as popular as it was).

Basketball is bigger than you give it credit for, it is big in China (the Yao Ming factor) and in a lot of European countries.

Fair enough. I think its just my natural haste to discount any American sports as 'not proper sports'

Another little aside, who would everyone say was the most dominant snooker player? To me, if you can forget the last 10-15 years, Steve Davis was one of the most dominant players in any sport. Not Ronnie though, he is a dousche

Joe Davis obv.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

Nicklaus >>> Woods

More majors, against more competition (Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson to name four). oldest winner of a major at Augusta in '87, and a likeable personality.

Not necessarily the greatest sportsman ever, but for me he's the greatest golfer.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

Nicklaus >>> Woods

More majors, against more competition (Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson to name four). oldest winner of a major at Augusta in '87, and a likeable personality.

Not necessarily the greatest sportsman ever, but for me he's the greatest golfer.

Disagree the depth of fields back when Nicklaus played is nothing compared to the modern era, the reason there were so many "greats" in that era is that everyone else was relatively rubbish.

Woods >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*10000000000000> Nicklaus.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

Nicklaus >>> Woods

Disagree the depth of fields back when Nicklaus played is nothing compared to the modern era, the reason there were so many "greats" in that era is that everyone else was relatively rubbish.

Woods >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*10000000000000> Nicklaus.

Is that not a contradiction though??? The other 4 David named were great golfers, doubt that the competition was less back then (in fact I think it was more).

Longy
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

Nicklaus >>> Woods

Is that not a contradiction though??? The other 4 David named were great golfers, doubt that the competition was less back then (in fact I think it was more).

Greats was put in inverted commas for a reason, they considered great because of what they won relative to other eras. It just simply wasn't as hard to win majors in that era imo.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »

Nicklaus >>> Woods

Woods >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*10000000000000> Nicklaus.

Greats was put in inverted commas for a reason, they considered great because of what they won relative to other eras. It just simply wasn't as hard to win majors in that era imo.

Ah, I get you, I don't agree, but I get you. This gets down to the competition argument though, is a great someone who outclasses a lesser feild, or someone who wins most in a time of fierce competition? For instance I think Steve Davis, then Stephen Hendry took snooker to new levels, hence dominated for a while. I'm just not sure that Woods has taken his sport to a new level... and as far as I'm concerned, Trevino &  Watson were greats.

editted cause I missed a bit - d'oh!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:33:43 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »

Loads of the players say Tiger completely changed the standard that was necessary to be competitive. If he plays for as long as Nicklaus did it is highly likely that he will win >30 majors. He has to be the leading golfer in this competition.

I've got a lot of time for Seve as well, he genuinely was a star.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: