blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  biggest sports star in the world?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: biggest sports star in the world?  (Read 7731 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »

The older I get, the better I was.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »

Titus Bramble
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »

I believe Manny Pacquio is not far off that amount earned, and he is GOD in the Philippines.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »

Erm.....surely Jordan???

Created a dynasty in his sport in the years he played in his prime, is considered the greatest player in the history of his sport, quite possibly the pioneer of ridiculously big sponsorships, merchandising and commercials in all of sport, couldve made much more money with the bulls but took a pay cut every year so they could afford to bring in other stars and make the team better.  He also performed on a much more regular basis than golfers/boxers and players from most other sports.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

Yeah I was reading current as well.

In 2008

Tiger Woods made an estimated 127.9 million, the 2nd on that list made 62.3million, be interesting to see if people could guess who was 2nd?

A non googled effort at Beckham?

I bet Mickelson is not far off either, seems to be a lot of money in Golf at the mo...

Yeah Mickelson is 2nd, the advantages of golf being a rich mans sport, so you get a tonne from branding deals etc. Beckham was 3rd I believe.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »

bigdaddy

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »

Erm.....surely Jordan???

Created a dynasty in his sport in the years he played in his prime, is considered the greatest player in the history of his sport, quite possibly the pioneer of ridiculously big sponsorships, merchandising and commercials in all of sport, couldve made much more money with the bulls but took a pay cut every year so they could afford to bring in other stars and make the team better.  He also performed on a much more regular basis than golfers/boxers and players from most other sports.

Can't argue with that. He's certainly got to be up there.

Problem with sportsmen in team sports is you've got to consider the team. George Weah was arguably the best striker in the game at one time, but he didn't get to a major final with his national team (yes Longy I know, he'd have been as well being Scottish).

Problem with sportsmen in individual sports is they then need a top opponent to be regarded as 'the best', Ali had big competition, Jack Nicklaus had big competiton, Tiger & Phil Taylor? Are they SO good that they make the rest look inferior or is the competition not as good?

It's all about opinions. I'd pick Borg in tennis (but Federer's running him close), Ali in boxing, Pele in football, Jordan in basketball, Bristow in darts (and that one hurts as I really didn't like him), Nicklaus in golf (again Tiger's running him close).

Overall though I can't decide who's the biggest in the world, if pushed it's Pele for me, because football's my favorite sport.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »

bigdaddy

Giant Haystacks was bigger than him though.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »

bigdaddy

i reraise andre the giant

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

Another side argument does have to involve the popularity of the sport. Yes Jordan is deffo up there as one of the most iconic figures in their chosen field, but basketball is not particularly big outside of the states. Boxing, footy, golf, tennis, F1 etc all have a much broader appeal across the world and the stars are not just icons in their homeland but across the globe (Regrettably boxing isnt as popular as it was).

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

Another side argument does have to involve the popularity of the sport. Yes Jordan is deffo up there as one of the most iconic figures in their chosen field, but basketball is not particularly big outside of the states. Boxing, footy, golf, tennis, F1 etc all have a much broader appeal across the world and the stars are not just icons in their homeland but across the globe (Regrettably boxing isnt as popular as it was).

Basketball is bigger than you give it credit for, it is big in China (the Yao Ming factor) and in a lot of European countries.
DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »

the comps taylor is crushing are a lot harder than the ones bristow won  the averages and stats show that
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »

bigdaddy

i reraise andre the giant

re-reraise the Big Show (but as Andre was in the Princess Bride he's my favourite).

DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

the op is biggest sports stars the wwe isnt a sport
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »

Basketball is bigger than you give it credit for, it is big in China (the Yao Ming factor) and in a lot of European countries.

Fair enough. I think its just my natural haste to discount any American sports as 'not proper sports'

Another little aside, who would everyone say was the most dominant snooker player? To me, if you can forget the last 10-15 years, Steve Davis was one of the most dominant players in any sport. Not Ronnie though, he is a dousche

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: