blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273058 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  KQ in the WSOPE £1000
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KQ in the WSOPE £1000  (Read 1961 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:53 PM »

Ok, this one is slightly different to the last one. This was a bluff gone wrong. I'm just looking for opinions on whether people think my play was ok or not.

As most of you know this competition starts you off with 3,000 chips and a 60 minute clock. The blinds start at 25/25 so there is a reasonable amount of play to start. But we also have to be wary that once the blinds move up a few levels then 3,000 chips is not many. I was therefore following a strategy of playing quite tight, but not as tight as i usually would, with the view to looking to exploit any situations I could, even when I might not have the hand I'm representing.

So...

It's the 25/25 level. We're about 45 minutes in. Table has been quite tight and cagey so far.

I have  UTG and raise to 75. I normally wouldn't open KQs here, but decided that seeing as i've been quite inactive so far this raise might get some respect. Also, if we do get to showdown then people won't think that i'm only playing QQ+ from here.

Everyone folds around to the BB. Not really seen him play a pot yet, literally. I was in seat 1 and he was in seat 9 and the dealer was big lol. Villian makes the call.

Flop comes down   

Villian checks and I bet 125. Villian now raises to 350 which was a bit of an annoyance. With position, an OESD, decent odds, and the knowledge that i've still raised from UTG I decide to call. I could 3bet here but decide not to as I'd rather not get myself comitted to this if possible.

Turn was the 

And villian checks again. At this point I decided maybe he's on the draw himself, KQ, Q9 maybe. Or maybe just a J. I bet 500 and he calls.

River was the 

So i've missed. Bah. But wait, villian has checked again. His hand really can't be all that strong here? And if he has a T then surely he bets it as he has to figure that's a scare card for me? Hoping to get him off the hand I bet 800. He tanks, and eventually calls. I'm sick to my stomach as I've just bluffed half my stack away, and have to say "you're good" in a £1,000 comp lol. He tables QJ.

Any thoughts on my play here? I'm obv trying to sell the story of overpair. Was my story believable? Unlucky for it not to work? Or was the whole thing spew?

Blue text
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »

Check the turn dude...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »

I actually think your line is ok until river- what are you repping exactly??? I think you're checking a lot here with hands that showdown except for f/h's etc.

If you are trying to control pot size but flatting flop then betting turn makes no sense.

Either 4 bet flop or check check turn imo.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

Anybody check the river?

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »

4-bet flop

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »

4-bet flop

What do you do when he puts an Alaskan in your eye?

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

snap and get there

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »

4-bet flop

He would need to 3 bet himself first to 4 bet but .....

I'd check back the turn. And wouldn't fire the river.
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »

snap and get there

Sure would of got there!

BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »

Check the turn dude...

yup this
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

Yeah makes no sense flatting the flop then semi bluffing an absolute blank on the turn. As played hero shove the river might just be the only bet he can't call.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

Anybody check the river?

yer i check the turn and check the river. ESP the turn because i hate life so much if he jams.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

3 bet the flop  - he folds AJ - like you say your starting to look committed - and he isnt going bust with QJ - he makes the classic 'information bet' - hes def folding

as played check the turn and catch up

give up on the river

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »

3 bet the flop  - he folds AJ - like you say your starting to look committed - and he isnt going bust with QJ - he makes the classic 'information bet' - hes def folding

as played check the turn and catch up

give up on the river

THIS

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »

The problem with this hand is the pot ends up with more chips in it than your starting stack based purely on guesswork. It's good that you're looking to sell a story but how can this be the right time to do that when you haven't seen the guy play a hand? You really don't know how he's going to value the hand he's playing or the story you're telling. Don't forget you're representing a big pair which is a pretty thin range and you're hoping villain can pick that out in the betting...and also believe you. Checking the turn and betting villain missed a draw on the river creates a better potter size considering the situation. Also you don't get c-jammed off your draw.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: