blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16731 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Genealogy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 20770 times)
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »

Yes, that's what I looked for when I said it'd be hard to get the church records - because Foleshill area covered a number of parishes.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/foleshill.html
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

I've only ever ordered from the local register office where I knew the events were registered.

I think you can't order at one for an event at another - but haven't tried it so not certain.

no you cant , has to be same district , they have problems with marriages as well because lot of them us parish records to check through ,

the GRO are pretty quick though , about 7 days + they do search to save you cash if certificate is wrong one , we tend to use them for all cert's now

Thanks mate i'll probably order through the website anyway

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »

Mass confusion reigns again this morning i'll try my best to explain without confusing folk!

This morning i visited Bulkington cemetary to view the grave of my great grandparents. The grave was duly found and all dates tie in etc with records i have for birth and death of both of them.

I'm having trouble though with my great grandmother,because i'm not convinced of a few facts.

She was born in 1892 as Ann Argyle and died in 1962 at 70. All this ties up with birth records and death records and the death date on the headstone ( there is no birth date on the headstone ).

Now the problems sort of begin, In 1916 my Great grandfather ( whose details are not in despute ) John W Webb married an 'Annie' Argyle ( my mum has always referred to her as Grandma Annie ) according to the marriage registry. I'm fairly convinced these are one and the same person.

The area that is making me doubt my details is the 1901 census because i cannot accurately find Ann or Annie Argyle at least not to the birth date. Also in Bulkington cemetary are 2 more argyle which my mum tells me are her great grandparents ( parents of Ann Argyle ) but this is also confusing because according to the 1901 census they did indeed have a daughter but her name was mary ann argyle and it has her birth date as about 1896 a full 4 years after my great grandmother was born.

Whats the best way of solving this little issue?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »

Have you looked for them on the 1911 census to see what details that gives?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »

Have you looked for them on the 1911 census to see what details that gives?

Yeah just checked and thats a bit mental too.

Typed in Ann Argyle got 5 matches none exact for birth year ( 1892 ) the Mary Ann Argyle comes up again and again with 1896 as birth year ( same as 1901 )

There was another one ( and its deffo same girl ) in the 1901 census she is listed as Anne Argyle with a birth year of 1894 she is living with her grandfather her grandmother and their children and her father ( Daniel Butlin ) still with me?

In the 1911 census this girl is now Ann Argyle birth date 1893! but again living with Daniel Butlin but this time with Daniel's sister and brother in law( her father i'm assuming because he is listed as BIL to the head and Ann as the niece )

It is definately between these 2 because they are the only 2 Bulkington ones and i would be leaning toward the second girl if it were not for the fact that mary ann1' parents are buried not 50 feet away from my great grandparents.

it gets odderer and odderer.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »

This comes back to the 20th Century being the hardest part, there is the least amount of information to go on.

This is one where the parish records might be handy, but might involve looking through 6 or 7 years worth of records for all the possible parishes and cross referencing them with the census and GRO records to see where the inconsistent recording came in.

i.e. you might want to leave this line for a while and come back to it later Cheesy

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »

This comes back to the 20th Century being the hardest part, there is the least amount of information to go on.

This is one where the parish records might be handy, but might involve looking through 6 or 7 years worth of records for all the possible parishes and cross referencing them with the census and GRO records to see where the inconsistent recording came in.

i.e. you might want to leave this line for a while and come back to it later Cheesy

Lol yeah i think i might have to.

Would getting the marriage certificate Between John William Webb and Annie Argyle not clear some of this up?

If it had her parents names on then i'd be a step closer wouldn't i?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »

oh yeah - an oversight I didn't think of that.

It's possible it might contain something else as well - like her name might be listed as Mary Ann Argyle, or the age might tie up more closely with one of the other records.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »

Would getting the marriage certificate Between John William Webb and Annie Argyle not clear some of this up?

just quick look on marriages in 1916 & found this
Marriages Jun 1916
Argyle Annie married  Webb John W in    Nuneaton    6 d   1322   
before sending for any certificates think about what informantion you will get from it , ie fathers first name ,

if you know area , will check register for 1962 , district will help as there is about 30 deaths to check through ,
if you got ancestry.co.uk yourself hover over search and click births/marriages & death & then  England & Wales, BMD Index  - Updated!

it will give age at death but not date of birth until 1970

as for census use soundex on search , it is easy to go wrong but the name is not that common , my mothers surname on some searches we have to about 30 spellings variants and some online searches are better than others and after people could spell then it becomes a lot easier & surnames stay the same

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:52:34 PM by curnow » Logged
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »

oh yeah - an oversight I didn't think of that.

It's possible it might contain something else as well - like her name might be listed as Mary Ann Argyle, or the age might tie up more closely with one of the other records.

I think i'll order the certificate tomorrow as i've exhausted all other avenues i think and none of my living relatives can remember anything further.

Ok this is probably the most stupid question ever asked on Blonde but here goes!.

Where will i find parish records,either live or online?

And i'm assuming you can't just wander into a church and ask to see records,you'd have to make appointments first?

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

I think i'll order the certificate tomorrow as i've exhausted all other avenues i think and none of my living relatives can remember anything further.

Ok this is probably the most stupid question ever asked on Blonde but here goes!.

And i'm assuming you can't just wander into a church and ask to see records,you'd have to make appointments first?

ancestry has some + as does familysearch.org but you cant totaly trust the information on there

county record office for the distict should have most of them on microfilm + there is some online , check genuki and should give you list of information & where to find it
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »

just quick look on marriages in 1916 & found this
Marriages Jun 1916
Argyle Annie married  Webb John W in    Nuneaton    6 d   1322   
before sending for any certificates think about what informantion you will get from it , ie fathers first name ,

Yeah this is the info i've got, How likely is this to be the wrong couple though? pretty slim i'd have thought

if you know area , will check register for 1962 , district will help as there is about 30 deaths to check through ,
if you got ancestry.co.uk yourself hover over search and click births/marriages & death & then  England & Wales, BMD Index  - Updated!

All i know is she is buried in bulkington cemetary ( so therefore there must be records at St James chuch,Bulkington ) and according to my mum she died at home in Bulkington and her headstone,birth and death indexes all state she was Ann Argyle but wedding index says Annie Argyle even though its very unlikely to be a different person. I'm confused about the updated bit in red don't see anything like that on my page.

it will give age at death but not date of birth until 1970

as for census use soundex on search , it is easy to go wrong but the name is not that common , my mothers surname on some searches we have to about 30 spellings variants and some online searches are better than others and after people could spell then it becomes a lot easier & surnames stay the same

Whats soundex? sorry for being thick don't get this bit!

pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »

ancestry has some + as does familysearch.org but you cant totaly trust the information on there

county record office for the distict should have most of them on microfilm + there is some online , check genuki and should give you list of information & where to find it

Genuki? Whats this?

Please be patient with me i'll understand it soon lol

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »

Genuki? Whats this?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WAR/

there is on the register ANN WEBB age 70 Nuneaton ref 9 c 883 in 1962

there is a birth in 1892 which looks right and marriage in sept qtr1888 of Joseph Argyle to Elizabeth Butlin in Nuneaton & looks like your family , you can find this on freebmd.co.uk
not done this but check earlier census for the Butlin , hope this helps
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »

Genuki? Whats this?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WAR/

there is on the register ANN WEBB age 70 Nuneaton ref 9 c 883 in 1962

there is a birth in 1892 which looks right and marriage in sept qtr1888 of Joseph Argyle to Elizabeth Butlin in Nuneaton & looks like your family , you can find this on freebmd.co.uk
not done this but check earlier census for the Butlin , hope this helps

Thanks mate i'll take a look at those sites. The thing thats confusing me though is i've checked the census for Joseph and Elizabeth Argyle and they did indeed have a daughter but her name is listed as Mary Ann Argyle with a birth year of abt 1896 ( which is also listed in . But with the info above its now leaning me heavily to the other Ann Argyle reason being is in the 1911 census Ann is living with what i think is her father Daniel Butlin and Daniels sister Mary Ann Smith nee Butlin.

Also if you do a search of Ann Argyle in the 1911 census with birth year of 1892 it yeilds no searches.

Oh god just realised if Ann Argyle is Daniel Butlin's daughter why is her name not Butlin?

I'm so confused i don't know what my name is or where i live!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:09:11 AM by pokefast » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: