blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 11:28:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272977 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Scotland's Greatest Team?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scotland's Greatest Team?  (Read 5542 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »

Durie?

Not even close to inclusion IMO, his first touch often hit the ball further than some players could kick it!

Gough should be in though, better than Miller and McLiesh, probably the best centre half Scotland has ever had. Gough and McLeish would be a good pairing though but maybe a touch too much ginger in the team.

Will have a think about it and post my XI later. As god awful as we have been at times we really have had some great players through the years. I always remember my Dad telling me how shit the squad was at the 1982 world cup, most of them would stroll into the current team no problems, and it included genuine world class players like Souness and Dalglish.
Sorry, Gough isn't fit to lace Willie's boots, and he's not as good as McLeish either. Willie was world class, Gough wasn't.

I have to disagree with that. Miller was class but McLeish wasn't - he benefitted from a great understanding with a better player. Hansen, Gough & Aitken were all better footballers and as hard. He got in my team for the partnership - much as he did with Scotland - Hansen was the better player, and he's been a bitter man over it since.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 05:11:46 AM »

can we put eck in the middle(did anyone see bb3) and put the mole in goal got to be better than anything england has at present

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
ForthThistle

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »

Canny believe that Davie Cooper never got a mention..

Guy was a legend... 

Best days at Firpark.

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »

Goram

Boyd
Calderwood
Hendry
Dailly

Burley
Collins
Lambert
Gallacher

McCoist
McFadden

Can barely remember 1996 and only just 1998 so copy paste team v Brazil with a couple of changes and that'll do. Although can't say I remember much about a couple of names in that team.

Please can Scotland get to another tournament before I die. One simple wish.
seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »

Simpson     
Craig   
McNeill
Clark
Gemmell
Johnstone
Murdoch
Auld
Lennox
Chalmers
Wallace
fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »

Team is in:

Goram

Jardine Miller McLeish McGrain

Johnstone Souness Bremner Cooper

Law Dalglish

Manager - Jock Stein

No real arguments, except Cooper. He's way too over-rated seemingly because he died in his 30s imo. He's Rangers version of Eion Jess or Paul McStay, you knew the talent was there, but rarely did it come out. Sympathy vote imo.

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »

Team is in:

Goram

Law Dalglish

Manager - Jock Stein

No real arguments, except Cooper. He's way too over-rated seemingly because he died in his 30s imo. He's Rangers version of Eion Jess or Paul McStay, you knew the talent was there, but rarely did it come out. Sympathy vote imo.

interesting that they still shift mcgrain over to left back to accomodate the lessor jardine.

mcgrain was good enough to play in both positions, but surely in terms of a 'greatest' team you need to have your best players, playing their strongest positions.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »

Team is in:

Goram

Law Dalglish

Manager - Jock Stein

I was a bit surprised Davie Cooper made the XI at the expense of Jim Baxter but your comments about him are complete joke and an insult to his memory IMO. The guy is a legend but he was a legend in his lifetime for a whole generation of Rangers fans in particular. For a number of years he was the only player worth watching in a shit Rangers team and the only Rangers player to make a Scotland squad for a spell in the 80s. His talent was never in doubt but was more consistently displayed when he had more quality players around him. I may be a bit biased as he was one of my biggest boyhood idols, not just mine, almost every guy at my school.
Sympathy vote, NO WAY, the guy was a real quality player. Walter Smith and Craig Levein would do almost anything to have a Davie Cooper in their line ups today.

fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »

Sympathy vote, NO WAY, the guy was a real quality player. Walter Smith and Craig Levein would do almost anything to have a Davie Cooper in their line ups today.
Shame he only got 22 caps then eh? For such a great player, helluva poor haul, yet good enough for an all time XI?  The memory seemingly much greater than the reality, and it is a sympathy vote.
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »

Shame he only got 22 caps then eh? For such a great player, helluva poor haul, yet good enough for an all time XI?  The memory seemingly much greater than the reality, and it is a sympathy vote.

The reply I would like to leave would get me banned but u r lower than a snakes bollocks IMO, Davie Cooper was and always will be a legend. No sympathy vote required.

Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2010, 02:09:26 AM »

Great argument-take jimmy johnstone out too then

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
fatshaft

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »

The reply I would like to leave would get me banned but u r lower than a snakes bollocks IMO, Davie Cooper was and always will be a legend. No sympathy vote required.
Why? I don't think he should be in, he rarely played to his potential, how does that warrant such a reply?  Cooper had many great moments, but he was far from a guy who turned it on in the majority of games he played.
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »

Shame he only got 22 caps then eh? For such a great player, helluva poor haul, yet good enough for an all time XI?  The memory seemingly much greater than the reality, and it is a sympathy vote.

Why? I don't think he should be in, he rarely played to his potential, how does that warrant such a reply? Cooper had many great moments, but he was far from a guy who turned it on in the majority of games he played.

Your original post about Davie Cooper was IMO very derogatory, but the suggestion he is in on a sympathy vote is what I found particularly abhorrent. To suggest he's in because he died in his 30s can only be described as insulting. Had you put it as you have in your most recent post I wouldn't even have felt the need to post.

Honestly in the 30 odd years  I've been watching football I haven't seen a better left sided midfielder/winger who is eligible to wear a Scotland jersey. I can understand surprise that the likes of Jim Baxter or Willie Henderson are omitted from the XI but Cooper is not some sort on sentimental inclusion. To many of those who voted he will be more than worthy of that place, I think so, my Dad may not agree but he's been watching football nearly 60 years so he's seen more of those who missed out.

True that he didn't do it every week but tell me a winger who has, for a long time he was the reason many of us went to watch Rangers.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: