blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Dealing with chat abuse
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dealing with chat abuse  (Read 11696 times)
the rage

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »

Just thought i would ask a couple of questions about chat abuse. I was playing in an online satellite game recently. Quite early on in the game i managed to get all in on the turn with AA against two pair. The river paired up to give me a lucky double up. One of the players, who was not involved in the hand, then gave me some minor abuse, calling me a fking fish. I'm sure that compared to many players, i am a pretty big fish. Anyway, i immediately gave him some abuse back, before switching off the chat facility.
 Normally, when i play poker, live or online, i don't chat much, but try to be pleasant and polite, if and when i do chat. There was at least one player, who is quite well known on this forum, who it would have been nice to exchange pleasantries with, but, unfortunately, due to the chat abuse, i did not get the opportunity to do this.
 My questions are-Why do supposedly experienced poker players behave in this way? and, what is the best way to deal with them?
 I'm reasonably thick skinned, and i dont mind a bit of light hearted banter, but it just seems a shame to have to turn off the chat to avoid being tilted by the players who have no manners. Or am i being too sensitive? Smiley
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

I always have chat turned off when playing online, as getting in a ridic arguement is rarely +ev.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

i normally type ty into chat tilts them even more

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »

Why would something written in a chatbox by an unknown person have any effect on you? Is it because you don't like the fact there are some people existing in the world who are rude or stupid? I'm afraid I don't how to solve that problem.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »

I always have chat turned off when playing online, as getting in a ridic arguement is rarely +ev.

+1

Plus it tilts me hard if someone types 'ty' when I get it in with top set and they hit a runner runner straight. Damn you Ironside!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »

+1

Plus it tilts me hard if someone types 'ty' when I get it in with top set and they hit a runner runner straight. Damn you Ironside!

yw

i also type in "its sir fish to you"

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »

ps half the time they aint even speaking to me

but half the time they are cause i am such a fish

LeedsRhodesy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »

Just thought i would ask a couple of questions about chat abuse. I was playing in an online satellite game recently. Quite early on in the game i managed to get all in on the turn with AA against two pair. The river paired up to give me a lucky double up. One of the players, who was not involved in the hand, then gave me some minor abuse, calling me a fking fish. I'm sure that compared to many players, i am a pretty big fish. Anyway, i immediately gave him some abuse back, before switching off the chat facility.
 Normally, when i play poker, live or online, i don't chat much, but try to be pleasant and polite, if and when i do chat. There was at least one player, who is quite well known on this forum, who it would have been nice to exchange pleasantries with, but, unfortunately, due to the chat abuse, i did not get the opportunity to do this.
 My questions are-Why do supposedly experienced poker players behave in this way? and, what is the best way to deal with them?
 I'm reasonably thick skinned, and i dont mind a bit of light hearted banter, but it just seems a shame to have to turn off the chat to avoid being tilted by the players who have no manners. Or am i being too sensitive? Smiley
[/quote

There you go you answer your our question, People talk crap at the talk in live games to try put you on tilt so at some stag you made a bad call and you lose all your chips,

online turn chat off or just type........ i jgfjajao your deofjspj  pefkjp fefkj]w MUM
h

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »

i dont think your playing the game right if you dont get some abuse

the rage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

Why would something written in a chatbox by an unknown person have any effect on you? Is it because you don't like the fact there are some people existing in the world who are rude or stupid? I'm afraid I don't how to solve that problem.
Because i'm human. I have human feelings. So if someone makes arrogant or aggressive comments towards me it tends to trigger a reaction. I try to block it out and focus even harder on the game in hand. I understand that, for most online players, winning is the be all and end all. Sometimes when i play online there is a social element to it, such as in forum league games etc and, in these circumstances, there is usually a little bit of friendly banter. It's no big deal to me. I guess i'll just have to keep the chat turned off, as others have suggested. Cheers for the replies. Smiley
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »

Because i'm human. I have human feelings. So if someone makes arrogant or aggressive comments towards me it tends to trigger a reaction. I try to block it out and focus even harder on the game in hand. I understand that, for most online players, winning is the be all and end all. Sometimes when i play online there is a social element to it, such as in forum league games etc and, in these circumstances, there is usually a little bit of friendly banter. It's no big deal to me. I guess i'll just have to keep the chat turned off, as others have suggested. Cheers for the replies. Smiley

Yah, and that's the point. You are playing poker with human emotions on the surface and an expectation that things should be just so, and that is to your detriment. Think of all the ways those emotions actually help you to make good decisions?? Poker isn't about what's nice and what's nasty in people, it's about winning chips. If you turn the chat off you will ultimately miss out on info, and the sometime banter you enjoy, so the bad guys win. Leave the chat on imo but change your attitude to rude comments, if you can make them incentivise you to play great poker and bust the bad guys you win instead. If you get to the stage where you're emotionally neutral to negativity you win muchly.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
K9sixtwo

Sigillum Militum Xpisti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

I played a game once a few years ago and the chat got really personal and insulting, and ended up with me saying something that i am, to be fair ashamed of , even to this day, it was a two way street and i had been quite restrained up to the point the other player just pushed me to far, but my response to him was unjustified, it got worse when i knocked him out on the bubble to the point that he started stalking my tables over a period of time and i reported it all to the site, who took appropriate action. Since then my mantra has been always to be pleasant and ignore abuse  as you can get wrapped up in it and it detracts from the game

abuse is just not worth it..
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »

When people call me a fish i say

"id understaand? I won? how can i play badly if i won"

yeah but its a donk call, how caan you call there etc

"o i see, but i won though"

then if im not playing too many tables i like to slipt insults in the text lol i.e

I (fkd)dIdnt think(ur) i could Fold because i (mum) had an ace

silly really should juyst turn chat off....

wallysnooper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

i dont think your playing the game right if you dont get some abuse

lol ^^^

I don't mind the abuse for sucking out or not reading the guy for having the world on the turn, and me scooping on the river.
I personally get slightly tilted when players say 'Ty' when their hand holds or when they suck out. I find if you dont respond to the abuse and dont get sucked in to a keyboard war the abuser, then my game stays the same and not giving the satisfaction of a response to the abuser usually casuses them to stack off hands later.
biggy333

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

i think it's funny that ppl go all "keyboard warrior" in the chat box but wouldn't dare say anything live.

jus turn off chat if it affects you. i find it funny esp when u get a "stalker" carrying on and following u to new tables thro the tourney hoping/waiting for u to get knocked out  and won't let it go.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: