blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  results
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: results  (Read 50478 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:44 AM »

Full coalition with David Cameron as prime minister; Nick Clegg as deputy PM and four other Liberal Democrat cabinet ministers – 20 government posts in total. Last night Danny Alexander was confirmed as Scottish secretary. Others rumoured to include Vince Cable in a business and banking job, David Laws in education and Chris Huhne as justice secretary. Liberal Democrat wins:

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: May 12, 2010, 05:29:46 AM »

Liberal Democrat wins:

• Referendum to bring in an alternative vote system. Coalition members will be subject to three-line whip to force legislation for referendum through, but will be free to campaign against reforms before referendum

• New five-year fixed term parliaments, an entirely or mainly elected second chamber and a commission to review party funding. According to this plan, the next general election will be held on the first Thursday of May 2015.

• Reduce tax burden on low earners. A substantial increase to persona tax allowance from April 2011 with a "long- term goal" of a £10,000 personal tax allowance. Tory plans to reduce inheritance tax that would have benefited the richest people most have been scrapped.

• New pupil premium to be introduced, steering more funding to schools for every child they take from poor homes to help close class gap in school results

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:09 AM »

Tory wins:

• £6bn cuts this financial year and a reversal of some planned rises in national insurance contributions

• A cap on immigration with Lib Dem plans for an amnesty on illegal immigration dumped.

• School reforms to introduce more Swedish-style "free" schools

• A commitment to maintaining Britain's nuclear deterrent

• No proposals to join the euro and a referendum lock will ensure that any proposal to transfer new powers must by law be put to a referendum

• The Conservatives have kept their plan for a £150 marriage tax break. Lib Dems will abstain but not oppose this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:02:58 AM by kinboshi » Logged

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:33 AM »

(Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/12/conservative-lib-dem-coalition-deal )

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 12, 2010, 05:53:11 AM »

Nick agrees with me!

Tory wins:

• £6bn cuts this financial year and a reversal of some planned rises in national insurance contributions

• A cap on immigration with Lib Dem plans for an amnesty on illegal immigration dumped.

• School reforms to introduce more Swedish-style "free" schools

• A commitment to maintaining Britain's nuclear deterrent

• No proposals to join the euro and a referendum lock will ensure that any proposal to transfer new powers must by law be put to a referendum

• The Conservatives have kept their plan for a £150 marriage tax break. Lib Dems will abstain but not oppose this. Printable version Send to a friend Share Clip

• Y'all my beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeatches.

fyp

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »

It's the new politics

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »

I think the compromise they came to is a pretty good one, but, that's a lot of concessions and a lot of government posts that were conceded by the party that was only 20 seats short of an overall majority.

It gives some indication of how much power the very small parties could get if the winning party under Proportional Representation ended up only 6 or 7 seats short of a majority.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: May 12, 2010, 07:57:33 AM »

I wonder if this will turn people off the LDs...

My reasoning is I had a quick look on facebook and it seems like lots of people have no idea what they stand for and are now appalled

yup

A lot of my friends in Scotlandshire are anti Tori with more fervour than their grandparents were anti Nazi. They're saying that if the ConDemNation comes then they no longer agree with Nick and will be voting Labour.

Like this a lot..WP Tank.

A lot of people in Scotland should get over their Tory hang-ups though.."Oh but twenty years ago they were mean to us"...Get over it FFS.
Living in a community they did their utmost to destroy & seeing the results 20 years on I'll celebrate Thatcher's death like I've won the lottery. The current mob just aren't as honest as she was. The cuts will come first in Govt spending:

1 in 5 people now work for the state in the UK

1 in 3 in Scotland.

That's not down to Labour - that was Thatchers determination to take any major power out of Scots unions & to make us a service culture.

Still - independence wouls suit the Tories - so there's a little hope.

ON the Cuts; I should hope so! they can't start cutting fast enough IMO. Any party would have needed to do this, obviously so it can't come as a surprise to anyone that there are massive cuts coming. The structural deficit is a massive problem. and it's one that needs to be resolved.

On the unions; whenever I see the Royal Mail workers or signal workers strike again I feel sick. Especially the BA strikes will be the death of the company. To go on strike whilst your company is bleeding fast amounts of money is completely unforgiveable IMO.  Seems to me like they didn't do enough to break up the unions.

On Thatcher's death...Well I don't like the woman and sure as hell won't miss her, I especially consider "Right-tobuy" a massive mistake. So dance away, just don't think that there shouldn't be massive cuts now or that the Tories are the only ones that would make them.

Obviously an independent Scotland is not an option at the moment, it's simply unsustainable...let it go.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »

• The Conservatives have kept their plan for a £150 marriage tax break. Lib Dems will abstain but not oppose this. Printable version Send to a friend Share Clip

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Payyyyyyyy me da monies!

Seriously though, obviously a ridic plan this and a complete waste of money.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: May 12, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »

It's intersting that some people have been up in arms about the possibility of a LabLib coalition, as it wouldn't represent what the electorate voted for.

The ConDem pact wwas more logical in terms of the tories having the largest minority from the election, but is this result what the people who voted Tory or LibDem wanted when they cast their votes?  On the whole I wonder who is happier. I know a lot of LibDem voters were keen on electoral reform, but are they going to get the reform they thought they were voting for?

Oh, and that married tax break is just completely ridiculous.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »

• Reduce tax burden on low earners. A substantial increase to persona tax allowance from April 2011 with a "long- term goal" of a £10,000 personal tax allowance. Tory plans to reduce inheritance tax that would have benefited the richest people most have been scrapped.

that's quite an unexpected concession from the tories. Interesting times....

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:34 AM »

In terms of the greater good then conservative economic policies tempered by liberal social concerns and liberal social policies tempered by conservative pragmatism could work really well.

But I'm mainly expecting at the first sign of public spending cuts support will just drift towards Labour without any other policies or considerations being taken into account

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »

In terms of the greater good then conservative economic policies tempered by liberal social concerns and liberal social policies tempered by conservative pragmatism could work really well.

But I'm mainly expecting at the first sign of public spending cuts support will just drift towards Labour without any other policies or considerations being taken into account

Of course there is waste in public spending, but I sincerely hope that certain areas don't fall under an indiscriminate cost-cutting axe.  Primarily thinking about the NHS. 

How much of the LibDems' pre-election plans for the NHS will be considered by the coalition government?

http://www.hsj.co.uk/comment/opinion/norman-lamb-on-the-nhs-under-the-lib-dems/5013894.article

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »

I think all areas are going to have to suffer indiscriminate cost cutting purely because our finances are that bad.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 12, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »

It's essentially the same as the Tory NI policy that they are dropping to pay for it, so it's not that surprising.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: