blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272604 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Buying a 2nd hand car, advice neded
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a 2nd hand car, advice neded  (Read 8426 times)
Herbie H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »

A lot of VAT dodging ITT.

Never in the field of World Cup conflict has so little been offered by so few to so many- England WC 2010.
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

hmm i don't think i would take my VAT advice from you. In vast majority of cases you can't claim the VAT back on buying a car.
when you go and rent a car from avis/europacar ect you pay vat

Yes but if a company buys a car in the UK they cannot claim the VAT back.
Dont know how it works with your exports, but if you were to buy it and then sell it to someone in the UK and avoided paying the VAT it would be

illegal.

There is vat on used cars I will bet you anything you like and I will give you 100/1 bet as much as you can lose for once I am right for sure
as to when I export them to Cyprus I pay a duty registration costs small vat ammount also customs and excise duty

this why I asked in my first post if CIA was vat reg if he were
he could put the car through his business so long as it was vat qualifying
say he gave £10,000 plus the vat for a car
then in 5 years time he sold it for £5,000 plus the vat he would gain a further
8 and 3/4 vat relief hence a saving of £875

how can he sell it for 5K plus the VAT ? there. is no VAT on 'used' cars. Plus unless this company vehicle purchase was 100% for business use, then the company cannot offset the VAT element of the purchase price.

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »

There is only VAT on used cars that were originally VAT qualifying.

The point is Sofa that even if Cia is vat registered he cannot claim the VAT back.
You can only claim the VAT back if you can ensure that it cannot be used privately which is almost impossible.
He would have to have business only insurance etc

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »

unless things have changed dramatically over the last few years, pretty much any ex company/lease/contract hire/motability car is VAT qualifying until sold to Joe Public. That's why really old vans can still be VAT qualifying cos they've been sold from company to company to company I think

BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »

lol Sofa King, i would leave the VAT advice if i was you. Its so bad it's embarrassing

just because someone is VAT registered doesn't mean they can claim the VAT back on a car purchase. It would have to be used purely for business, which obviously isn't the case and isn't in 99% of instances.

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »

There is only VAT on used cars that were originally VAT qualifying.

The point is Sofa that even if Cia is vat registered he cannot claim the VAT back.
You can only claim the VAT back if you can ensure that it cannot be used privately which is almost impossible.
He would have to have business only insurance etc
i know what you mean but if he was vat reg and bought a car at £10k+vat =£11750 yeah???
he keeps it for 5 years then sells it for £5+vat +£5875 yeah??
he gains relief for £875 so he would gain a little
imagine on a x6 i bought last month was £45k+vat in 5 years time the customer would gain atleast 50% of the vat relief...

loads and loads of people dont realise there is vat on lots of car but most of the time traders just add it into the price.,.,i bout 3 vectras 2 weeks ago 07 plates £7k each minus the vat they wen to to cyprus
im doing this nearly every day i do know a little bit about it,i need to know about it .,.,.,
there are lots of times heres one for e.g i phoned a company in northern ireland jkc bmw,,, they were advertising a bmw 320 in white 2009 convertable m sport for £29k,,,,it didnt say vat qualifing.,., i spoke to the manager he made a few phone calls and came back with the price £29k-vat he didnt even know it was vat qual ,,i bought it and its being del to southampton monday with no vat for sure ,,,when it lands in cyprus my partner out there gets the car from the port then goes to register it these aprox figures £4k then he pays the duty on it not the vat the duty which goes on engine size and eeissions this could be £8k then customs £3k then vat @a reduced rate because of the duty paid another £3k shipping £500 some more paperwork and clearing fees £500 so now its upto about £20k worth of ex's the car now in cyprus costs us nearly £50k it will sell for e65.000 euros about £58k £8k profit not bad.,.,.,

but just look at this i had to get a customer from nicosia...,.,ferrari 6.0 litre engine the car cost £22k all the ex's coz of the size of the engine was £34k he only paid £22k for the car it was quite old,,,he paid more in duty and reg costs than the car was worth

it is against the european law for any car to be exported to another european country and charge ridiculous ammounts of DUTY on it but,cyprus breaks this law every year since being in the eu as they generate over e30 million euros a year in revenue for the goverment but they only get fined e5 million a year from the european union.,,,.,.,.,

everybody knows its wrong but they do it..,you cant do anything about it.,.,when greekstien comes on ask him .,.,.,
or for a laugh have a look on the cyprus autotrader at the prices.,.you will piss yourself at the prices..,.,
merc e270 2007 ere in the uk aprox price £12k cyprus price e35,000 euros aprox £30k

the bigger the car in cyprus the bigger the price.,.,.,

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

lol Sofa King, i would leave the VAT advice if i was you. Its so bad it's embarrassing

just because someone is VAT registered doesn't mean they can claim the VAT back on a car purchase. It would have to be used purely for business, which obviously isn't the case and isn't in 99% of instances.

put your money where your mouth is i give you 100/1 as much as you like

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »

this is ridiculous is this someone trying to wind me up??

put your money where your mouth is i give you 100/1 as much as you like

i just re read your staement and it seems as if your now changing it.,.,.,>

sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »

i can buy this car in the uk for £35- the vat then export it to cyprus
see below its for sale in cyprus for e69,000 euros about £62k pounds
just an eg
http://www.autotradercy.com/index.php?make=19&typeofvehicle=...&gearbox=...&model=952&extcolor=...&year=&sub=Search&submit1=1&p=search

BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

well i'll stop here because its not really worth it. Not sure what you are offering 100/1 on but if it is regarding tax advice i'd probably take those odds.

i haven't changed anything - the 1% refers to people who use the car wholly for business (ie don't take it home) or cars used wholly or mainly for taxis. Not sure that these instances are relevant to OP. Car traders can reclaim VAT because they are acquiring vehicles for resale, not usage. Again. irrelevant to OP buying a second hand car

All this about exporting to Cyprus is of no real benefit to OP and is irrelevant to buying a car in the UK.

you are saying that if you are VAT registered you can claim back VAT on a car, which is a rather sweeping statement that is fundamentally incorrect.
Herbie H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »

Pretty sure OP lives in London, so this is all pretty irrelevant.

Never in the field of World Cup conflict has so little been offered by so few to so many- England WC 2010.
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »

well i'll stop here because its not really worth it. Not sure what you are offering 100/1 on but if it is regarding tax advice i'd probably take those odds.

i haven't changed anything - the 1% refers to people who use the car wholly for business (ie don't take it home) or cars used wholly or mainly for taxis. Not sure that these instances are relevant to OP. Car traders can reclaim VAT because they are acquiring vehicles for resale, not usage. Again. irrelevant to OP buying a second hand car

All this about exporting to Cyprus is of no real benefit to OP and is irrelevant to buying a car in the UK.

you are saying that if you are VAT registered you can claim back VAT on a car, which is a rather sweeping statement that is fundamentally incorrect.

right this is the last time.,.,.,
i said to cia i can get you a car vat qualifying if you are vat reg this would benefit him.,.,.,
then you say blah blah blah no used cars are vat qualifying ect.,.,.,
then i felt i had to explain in detail how i know that used cars are vat qualifying hence the cypriot saga and how i know for sure.,.,.,end of.,.,

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

so what car did i get and did i pay VAT? 
Herbie H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »

so what car did i get and did i pay VAT? 

NH. Sir

BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »

i said to cia i can get you a car vat qualifying if you are vat reg this would benefit him.,.,.,

that's the point it won't benefit him. VAT is complicated but basically even if "VAT qualifying", you can't claim VAT back from HMRC on a car purchase when used personally. So he gets no benefit unless he is dishonest - not sure how many other ways it can be said
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: