blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272635 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  New Car
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Car  (Read 8136 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »

as long as you go into lease deal knowing that you are not buying the car - you are basically just renting it over a long term, and that at the end of it you will have nothing to show for your money. think of it a bit like renting vs buying a house.

Not strictly true, a house will generally go upp in value where as a car will have very little value after a few years. 

My next car (well van) will be leased.  I paid £10k for a Vectra four years ago and now it's worth approx £2k if I'm lucky.   It wouldn't have cost me that much more to lease a new car and would save me the hassle of trying to sell a car when I'm after a new one.

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

as long as you go into lease deal knowing that you are not buying the car - you are basically just renting it over a long term, and that at the end of it you will have nothing to show for your money. think of it a bit like renting vs buying a house.

Not strictly true, a house will generally go upp in value where as a car will have very little value after a few years. 

My next car (well van) will be leased.  I paid £10k for a Vectra four years ago and now it's worth approx £2k if I'm lucky.   It wouldn't have cost me that much more to lease a new car and would save me the hassle of trying to sell a car when I'm after a new one.

of course you are right, but a small point worth noting, is that that the best deals on lease cars is often those cars which have a high residual value, as there is more money left at the back end to play with.

you need to do your numbers very carefully, as they can be wildly different for each car.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »

When you lease a car you are basically taking out a big loan using the car as security.

The payments you make are funding the depreciation on the vehicle and also the interest on the loan.

So for a little example (simplified):

Lease a 20k car for 1 year

Loan amount is 20k. Interest at 10% would be 2k

Car value at end of term estimated at 14k

Total they want off you = 2k + 6k = 8k

Payment per month = 8k/12 = £666 per month.

It is nothing like renting a house. It's a depreciating asset that will eventually be worthless. You are funding the depreciation and paying interest on a loan not paying for the use of the car.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »

of course you are right, but a small point worth noting, is that that the best deals on lease cars is often those cars which have a high residual value, as there is more money left at the back end to play with.

you need to do your numbers very carefully, as they can be wildly different for each car.

It's actually often worth trying to lease a car a year or so old for this reason.

Cars depreciate loads in year 1 less so in years 2 and 3 then loads again once they have to have an MOT.

I got a 2 year lease on a 1 year old car cheaper than it would have been for a 2 year old car of exactly the same spec because the residuals were better.

Bit of a minefield out there Sov. Good luck finding the best deal.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »

Where can you lease vehicles that are a year old?  I've only ever seen brand new ones, not that I've looked that much into it.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »

Silly question but I am sure we got 0% finance on MrsB's vehicle and a X amount back after 4 years...surely that's MUCH better than leasing a vehicle as you have unlimited mileage?

Leasing makes sense for bigger cars but surely not for a car valued at less than 10k new? A 10k only has something like a £170 a month repayment on it and that's you getting unlimited mileage.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »

Silly question but I am sure we got 0% finance on MrsB's vehicle and a X amount back after 4 years...surely that's MUCH better than leasing a vehicle as you have unlimited mileage?

Leasing makes sense for bigger cars but surely not for a car valued at less than 10k new? A 10k only has something like a £170 a month repayment on it and that's you getting unlimited mileage.

The deal you've got with MrsB's car sounds fantastic.

It's much better than leasing because it's at 0%

You are financing the depreciation of the vehicle only and as they have estimated it to be very low it's only costing you about £85 a month.

I'm pretty sure there will be a mileage cap to get you your 5k back though.

Leasing makes just as much sense for smaller cars as big cars if the figures work out right. As I've said you're basically getting a loan to buy the car and then funding the depreciation.

You pay interest on the loan, pay for however much the car loses over the term of the contract and then give it back at the end to pay off the balance of the loan.

It works exactly the same no matter how big or expensive the car.

outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »

I have leased before and lots of very good points been made, esp by Matt

I would say this, in summary

1. Lease deals work best if you arent bothered about a specific car, you can get great deals, esp on new models.
2. Shop around for said deals
3. Make sure you crunch the numbers like a mofo, leave no stone unturned. Most deals are structure 3+23 (for 24 months, with the 3 being the non refundable deposit).
4. Make sure VAT is INCLUDED in all your discussions.
5. Always take the model as it comes, never ADD to the specification, you pay for add ons yourself over 2 years - very -ev
6. Seriously consider whether adding servicing options is financially worthwhile (do the maths  - again)

Finally, writing off a car is a disaster if you lease, so if you think your missus is gonna prang it big, then dont do it

GL - ill keep my eyes open for deals

I really like Niche Automotive but it tends to be better for higher value cars

(and on a personal note - i think you shouold probs buy a car at the level you are looking - 18 months old, so that you get 18 months warranty, but it has done some depreciating)

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »

Where can you lease vehicles that are a year old?  I've only ever seen brand new ones, not that I've looked that much into it.

Find a car that's a year old that you want to buy.

Contact the lease company and tell them you want that car.

They will then buy it on your behalf and charge you accordingly.

Not all of them do this obviously but there are quite a lot that do.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »

(and on a personal note - i think you shouold probs buy a car at the level you are looking - 18 months old, so that you get 18 months warranty, but it has done some depreciating)

This btw.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »

Just on my phone atm, but wanted to say thank you for all of your replies. Much appreciated!!

The reason I want to buy a new car/lease is because of my experiences with used cars. I've been unlucky but have spent more on my banged out mondeo that it would have cost to buy a brand new small car.

Want to get away from that sickening feeling when something goes wrong, albeit at a premium!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »

I got a cracking Renault Megane taxed and Mot
1.9 dci dynamique
real clean took it in part ex a few weeks ago I been using it
£2,750
keyless entry ect
panoramic roof all elec air con drives great
if that's any good
rrp around £3,500

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »

I got a cracking Renault Megane taxed and Mot
1.9 dci dynamique
real clean took it in part ex a few weeks ago I been using it
£2,750
keyless entry ect
panoramic roof all elec air con drives great
if that's any good
rrp around £3,500
meant to add if your not happy with a car off me after a week I will
give u your money back so long as you don't do loads miles etc

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »

well guys i've decided to buy this little bad boy.  Pre-regged with 23miles on the clock!

Click to see full-size image.

Thanks for all your help.

Pretty pleased with £10,500 plus my Mondeo!

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »

Put it all on ManU to win at the weekend.

They can't draw two in a row

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: