blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272718 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Amazon Kindle 3g.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazon Kindle 3g.  (Read 5214 times)
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »

Hi,

I'm doing a lot of reading at the minute and was thinking of getting one of these.

Does anyone have one? if do what do you think?

I'm also assuming i can read Blonde etc on it?

Thanks.

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »

My friend at work has one and i looked at it yesterday while he was reading the paper on it. Way too small for me but it was nice and small/thin/light he seemed to like it alot.
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:12:59 AM »

Hi,

I'm doing a lot of reading at the minute and was thinking of getting one of these.

Does anyone have one? if do what do you think?

I'm also assuming i can read Blonde etc on it?

Thanks.

Dont think you can surf web at all on it; otherwise nobody would buy an ipad. The 3g is just for downloading the books from Amazon as far as I'm aware.

Look a good bit of kit for someone who reads a lot tho. In truth though the extra £50 for the 3g is probably not worth it as you get wifi everywhere and you can just load the books in the house before you go travelling.

Only use of 3g; if you want to download new books while on a train that doesnt have wifi; on the beach on holiday. Even most hotels abroad now have wifi so prob not worth it

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »

So you cannot surf the internet at all then? ie read blonde etc?

This was also a good reason to get one because due to the kids taking over my laptop of an evening i'm currently viewing Blonde on my ipod! and my 37yr old eyes are struggling.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »

I've got one, and I love it. 

Handy for train/plane journeys meaning you don't have to lug around books, and with the wireless switched off (which you don't need to read a book you've downloaded) it lasts for weeks on a single charge.  The 3G is handy if you're going to be buying books or subscribing to newspapers, etc. and will be doing this on the move (where you haven't got a laptop with you or a wi-fi connection).  The 3G is free, and works across the world in lots of countries (those you'd expect it to really). So this means you can go on holiday to the States and don't have to think about the books you want to read before you go - you can buy and download the ones you want on the fly when you're there.

If you're reading magazines/newspapers, the DX (I think it's called) might be better as it has a much larger screen.  But that sort of defeats the object of it being so portable.  The screen is excellent in daylight, and is easy to read even in bright sunshine.   The screen isn't back-lit, so if you're reading in the dark you need an external light source.  But that's why the battery life is so good.

There's also the Sony version that others seem to prefer.  I like the simplicity of the Kindle, and the unit itself is very compact and neat.

There is a crappy (think they call it experimental) browser on it, but don't expect anything brilliant.  It's fine to read blonde with (and you get free internet access so that's good), but navigating a web page with the Kindle is cumbersome (it's not really what it was designed to do). 

But if you read a lot of books, and are often 'on the go', then it's a nice gadget to have.  Glad I got mine.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »

This was also a good reason to get one because due to the kids taking over my laptop of an evening i'm currently viewing Blonde on my ipod! and my 37yr old eyes are struggling.

You can read blonde on it, but it's not really what it was designed for.  Neither was an ipod really though Cheesy.  If you don't want to post a lot, but just want to read the threads on blonde, then I guess it's perfectly fine.  I really need a laptop though as for some reason I always want to respond on threads as well as read them... Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »

You can read blonde on it, but it's not really what it was designed for.  Neither was an ipod really though Cheesy.  If you don't want to post a lot, but just want to read the threads on blonde, then I guess it's perfectly fine.  I really need a laptop though as for some reason I always want to respond on threads as well as read them... Wink

Are you able to make the odd response on it though?

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »

I have one on the way as I need one for work, an unavoidable expense obv

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »

Larry the lobster will bear the cost of this eventually though surely?

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »

I no longer wish to be assosiated with the disappointment filled machine that is labelled Larry the Boring Crab Infested Lobster of Shite

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »

I use my phone to make my odd responses if I'm not on my computer.  But yes, could use the Kindle.  I have a small laptop that I use when I'm out and about anyway, so I tend to use that (which is why I don't see the point of an ipad).

pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

I no longer wish to be assosiated with the disappointment filled machine that is labelled Larry the Boring Crab Infested Lobster of Shite

Sights set on greater things?

pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »

I use my phone to make my odd responses if I'm not on my computer.  But yes, could use the Kindle.  I have a small laptop that I use when I'm out and about anyway, so I tend to use that (which is why I don't see the point of an ipad).

No i don't want an ipad either and as i'm never too far away from home i think the wi-fi one at £109 will suffice.

Excellent, thanks for the advice Dan.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »

Sights set on greater things?

Not currently. I cant get over how Larry treated me.
I thought he was amazing, he was so lucky, he was my world.
Then one morning I woke up, spooning the machine as normal, popped my nifty right in and didnt get a single fiddle with the feature.
This continued for months on end, and while I still put the effort in Larry just never got me excited enough to walk away satisfied.
Since the split up I havent been able to look at another fruit machine, my lifes a mess and I have been drinking heavily.
I was even tempted to eat a couple of the bastards as revenge.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

I've got one, and I love it. 

Handy for train/plane journeys meaning you don't have to lug around books, ...

How many books do you think would make the extra cost worthwhile?

What would you make the breakeven point?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: