blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Antes in tournaments. Do most structures get it wrong?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Antes in tournaments. Do most structures get it wrong?  (Read 5029 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »

The 6-max tournament at DTD (capped at 180 runners?) was excellent, and probably the most enjoyable tournament I've played in terms of the amount of play and the structure.

Not until it was three-handed did the average stack fall anywhere close to less than 20xBBs.  As it had a decent structure and was also a 6-max, people were playing more hands but didn't feel the need to get 'married' to hands - meaning the bet sizing appeared to be a lot more sensible, and there was a lot more post-flop play.  It also helped that someone pressed the wrong button when selecting the tournament clock and clicked on a UKIPT side-event structure that was 45-min blinds instead of the planned 30-minute levels Cheesy

Been a while since you mentioned this one Dan.

It's like Alan Ball. "But we won the world cup"

That makes me Germany then Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Fluence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 12:17:29 AM »

I don't know enough about structure calculations to comment on DN's views.

I would say though that many small stakes tourneys that I play in add antes to speed up the bust out rate and thereby end the comp sooner.  It would appear that this may not actually be the case unless they get it right.

Secondly it actually "physically" slows the game as the dealer is just wasting so much time reminding people to ante up.  Sadly a lot of low stake inexperienced players can't seem to grasp the fact that they have to ante. After all, they only have to do it every hand!

If I could make a serious suggestion why not make the button post all the antes for the entire table it would certainly speed things up.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:06 AM »

I don't know enough about structure calculations to comment on DN's views.

I would say though that many small stakes tourneys that I play in add antes to speed up the bust out rate and thereby end the comp sooner.  It would appear that this may not actually be the case unless they get it right.

Secondly it actually "physically" slows the game as the dealer is just wasting so much time reminding people to ante up.  Sadly a lot of low stake inexperienced players can't seem to grasp the fact that they have to ante. After all, they only have to do it every hand!

If I could make a serious suggestion why not make the button post all the antes for the entire table it would certainly speed things up.

I don't buy this argument that people have re antes slowing the game down. it's the players slowing it down. If they can't play properly not a reason to take them out really is it?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
keilan303

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 04:17:35 PM »

I liked Gus Hansen's way of looking at ante's in relation to the small blind and planning your blind stealing strategy based on the ratio of small blind:ante, Playing 500/1000 with a 100 ante in this respect makes blind stealing hardly worth it...whereas a a structure like 300/600 with a 100 ante (or a 3:1 ante ratio) a must steal situation...this makes for a much more tougher (and fun/quicker) game...
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

whereas a a structure like 300/600 with a 100 ante (or a 3:1 ante ratio) a must steal situation..

Not if you have an average stack of 50k.
Fenix35

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »

This is very true. Hence why the old party poker tournaments are complete crapshoots compared to many of the better structured tournaments on ftp/stars
Fenix35

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »

The 6-max tournament at DTD (capped at 180 runners?) was excellent, and probably the most enjoyable tournament I've played in terms of the amount of play and the structure.

Not until it was three-handed did the average stack fall anywhere close to less than 20xBBs.  As it had a decent structure and was also a 6-max, people were playing more hands but didn't feel the need to get 'married' to hands - meaning the bet sizing appeared to be a lot more sensible, and there was a lot more post-flop play.  It also helped that someone pressed the wrong button when selecting the tournament clock and clicked on a UKIPT side-event structure that was 45-min blinds instead of the planned 30-minute levels Cheesy

Also this
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: