blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273108 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A Story I wanted to Share
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Story I wanted to Share  (Read 2286 times)
claypole

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »

...partly to be a little self indulgent and partly because it may help some.

I consider myself an ok tournement player - far from the best, but made a profit this year to Ocober - including agreat trip to Vehas where I met some fantastic people like an old schoolfriend and blonde poster Lucky blind (who I hadnt seen for 15 years), big Trevor and AJ - and a small profit last year with 4/5 %10k plus wins to my name.

However - I am a gambler at heart, and when things start to go wrong I tilt big style.  I play cash and I am useless!  I lose my discipline in tournements - and make some bad plays, but usually I can recover it.

Since October - I've had a 'mare.  Despite placing in the blonde league - its been awful.  I'd only made two final tables, taken some horredous beats - but equally played very badly.  I sat at my parents 130 miles from home on Sunday night after making an horrendous move when having a decent stack in the 100k and fell out of the love with the game - thats it I am giving up, at least for 2 months!!!

24 hours later my nieces and nephews arrived (all over 18!!) and wanted to know about Vegas, WSOP etc.  They are in the University Poker Society - and begged me to play a couple of tournes and teach them a bit.  Under much duress, I deposited 100$ and entered a $25 multi and the $35 on prima.

I explained EVERY move to them, why I was betting, what i thought the opponent would do - slowed down questioned every decision, watched every move.  I played good poker - got muppeted in the $25 but at 3am had secured 6th place in the $35 - a massive $359!!!!!

They enjoyed it, I did - I remembered why I played the game.  Woke up, with $359 hardly denting the last two months losses - but loving the game a bit more and understanding why I play.

I drove home to London this afternoon - contemplated just having an early night or playing a couple of $30, $50 multis - but thought I wanted to play some decent poker - remebering last night.  I entered the $100 rebuy on prima and the $10 $17,500 for some fun.

Cut a long story short - I placed 2nd in the $100 ($5k - after being shortstack at bubble time) and a respectable 40th / 800 in the other (as busted but thats a bad beat story)

So, if your a gambler who plays - I hope my little story helps, if it has bored you I apologise - but Ive got a new focus and will be at the tables in the New Year

Claypole
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:05:14 AM »

Good story, Sometimes the best way to learn is to teach.

I know in the past I've kept myself off tilt by playing with the bird watching, answering her questions and the like.

Easier to play solid when people are looking. Perhaps this is why the PRO are so helpful.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
bundle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 01:09:30 AM »

Claypole That Is Fantistic..

I have to let you in to a little secret here..PROVES I'M REALLY INSANE.. I too have been doing well of late. the reason for this. here it GOES......... Talking to myself as if someone was there with me, and i too am explaining what i'm doing ,and why.  It gives you good reasoning for each move you make, and stops you from tilting..Now Just hope i'm still allowed to post on here..

Well done mate
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:10:27 AM »

great post

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »

Talking to myself as if someone was there with me, and i too am explaining what i'm doing ,and why.

I used to do that too, was too shy to post it. On probation from the funny farm as it is.

I got myself one of those bluetooth headsets the other day, I don't plug it into my phone or anything. It's just for show so peeps don't get worried when they see me talking to myself on the street.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 01:17:22 AM »

bluetooth does not PLUG in to anything ya mug!!

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »

allright then, connect, ya pedantic geek.

(takes one to know one)

Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 01:22:02 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I couldnae resist

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 01:23:36 AM »

Thanks guys - I am off to bed having stayed away from the cash tables - tommorow will be better at work!

And hopefully I'll carry on being a member of the talking to myslef club - may make be a bit calmer as I've had the right hump since October at the tables and let both barrels rip a few times at silly plays - apologies if it was any blondeites!
Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 01:47:21 AM »

The great and Wise RED told me to do this and it really does help...clears the thought process...

Well done!

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no bubble; there is the Final Table.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 02:04:07 AM »

The older I get, the better I was.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 02:07:20 AM »

bluetooth does not PLUG in to anything ya mug!!
I spat my drink all over pc when I read this...gonna give it a go. Kids think im loopy anyway but luckily they are not old enough to have me commited
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 02:12:35 AM »

Claypole

Nice to see people posting honest (and hard for them) stories on here
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »

wp claypole

glad that i could be of service by donating so many chips to you early on in the comp

always good to see that they were put to good use

i have seen you on the internet scene and have always considered you as a good quality solid player

you know that you have the game

if you keep going im sure sure you will be fine 

maybe try going to luton a little more   i find the more i play live the more it helps my online game

try reading snoopys thread on his life since playing fulltime    a very good read and will help  in tilting and times to play

good luck claypole    i know the poker scene is a better place with you in it

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
luckyblind

Why did I call myself lucky?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »

Well done mate. Good advice. Now keep that winning streak going, I will see you in Vegas this year 

D 4 Events - Deepstack & Short-Handed Poker Festivals across Europe. €500 main events with €300 & €200 Side Events.

Great Structures, Fantastic Venues, Affordable entry fees.

PM for more info.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: