blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  My Dad
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Dad  (Read 4356 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »

I seem to count the passing years by the Christmases, every year has a summing up over the Christmas period then its on to new beginnings and resolutions for the new year. So this year I am thankful for....

This year my Dad was diagnosed with cancer and he was a bit poorly to start but he has rallied well and so far the operation and his medication has been good and I am so happy to be celebrating another Christmas with him. Christmas is even more poigniant this year and I am thankful for the improvements in cancer treatments we have, his surgeon who we had to pay for because the NHS was too slow, but was worth every penny - it goes without saying that I would have sold everything I own to save my Dad - and to the nurse who in the middle of the night after my Dads op found him in great difficulties and I have to say probably brought him back from the brink with some quick thinking and an accurate diagnosis.

I guess the doctor who misdiagnosed my Dad 4 times is thankful he has avoided killing another patient and that my Dad is not a bitter man. Maybe he hasn't given it a second thought.

I am also very thankful to the close friends who have supported me through an emotional time and listened when I needed to talk, and who just knew when to ring. Snatty has demonstrated so many times that he has ESP, just a shame it doesn't work so well at the poker table... ;-)  

So a year that went from tears to smiles is a good one for me, what are you thankful for this year?

PS Merry Christmas and I hope that you all have a lovely day tomorrow however you choose to spend it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:49:05 PM by Dingdell » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »

Happy Christmas to you and your Dad Tracey.

The Asian Alf Garnett passes on the same message!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »

Nice post Trace. Glad your dad's doing well.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

I'm thankful that we've almost seen the back of the "That's why mums go to Iceland" adverts.

The older I get, the better I was.
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »

Okay I just finished blushing................it is me that is blessed to have you as a mate. Hope the whole family have a great Xmas!!!

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »

Very nice post Tracey.

I'm thankful for being happy and contented.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
moonandback

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »

thankful for being back in my own house after the floods of last year saw us in pokey rented accomodation over christmas. just about to go and cook dinner for 8 having planned and prepped all day.

merry xmas all.

moon

its better that i have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »

Nice post Trace. Glad your dad's doing well.

+1 best wishes for 2011 to all of you.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »

Soooo glad to hear your Dad is doing better!!!

Enjoy your day everyone...whatever yer at.  xx

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

having such a fantastic wife and kids that i adore more and more everyday

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »

lovely post Trace.  I'm really pleased to hear that your dad is doing better.

I'm thankful for similar things, for different reasons.  This struck a chord:

I am also very thankful to the close friends who have supported me through an emotional time and listened when I needed to talk

I'm blessed to have good friends who have helped me through some tough times, several of them on blonde,and I fear I've been a bit of a burden on them this year and last.  I'd hesitate before doing a name check, as I'm bound to miss someone, but four people spring to mind more than most who have had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time over the year and have taken time out to listen and be there: Rich, Dawn, Simon and Jack.  thank you.

I'm also thankful that, compared to this time last year, I can see hope for the future.

I wrote a note on facebook the other day when i couldn't sleep.  Again i'm hesitant about posting it here as it's a bit personal.  Will compromise and put up a link (for now anyway).

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=480686334519

Wishing a happy and prosperous 2011 to all blondes.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »

Always a pleasure, never a chore.

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »

Platitudes ftw Smiley

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »

Well today is a big cancer day for my Dad and to be honest I played poker last night to try and think of something else and failed, went out in spectacular fashion and then put money in the slots just to forget about today. Not good. Came home and tried to sleep, failed and the lack of sleep means I'm finding it too easy to cry and get irritated at the smallest of things. I'm in hiding from friends and want to cancel my clients this afternoon to crawl under a stone.

My Dad gets his results at 3.30pm today but based on last time he won't come out of the appointment until much later. Although he was initially chipper his mood has darkened and today you can tell he is petrified. He has not gained any more weight, his appetite has reduced and he is feeling depressed from the hormones they are giving him. The next few hours will drag and in one sense I never want them to pass so I don't have to take his call. He didn't want me to go with him to the appointment, now his ex girlfriend has insisted she go with him and he has accepted - I wish I had been more insistent now.

I have done as much as I think I can to help him in my own way with recommended anti cancer diets and generally helping him with healthy eating and trying to tempt him to eat. I don't know what else I can do apart from being supportive but at the moment I seem incapable of stepping up to the mark.

There are other options that his treatment can take but he is 76 and they all take their toll on his body. I have done the worse thing today and trawled the internet looking for anything that will help, but of course it always makes things worse. Stupid stupid me.

Still can't get over the shock that my Dad is not invincible, he adopted me, gave me a home and has continued to look after me and rescue me my entire life when I F**k up. He's my hero - as all Dads should be.

Anyway - enough wailing and gnashing of teeth, I just had to vent some pent up emotion and get the waterworks running dry before the first client comes in!

I'm posting this in the hope that later on today I can apologise for being such an idiot and worrying too much, and that everything is looking good. Someone once blogged that I am as thick as pig shit and that everyone knows it - in this case, for once, I hope they are right.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

Good luck Tracey's Dad.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: