blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Trying a wee bit higher...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying a wee bit higher...  (Read 6803 times)
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »

Update on whats happening.

Hotel room is still booked but ticket has not been won yet with 2 weeks to go Sad

I satted into this weeks final but tonights game was cancelled due to site maintenance... FML.

I bought in with the hope of winning a sat and withdrawing my buyin and then I noticed an invitation only game on Betfair midweek. 160 player invitation at $25 with top 30 guaranteed a seat, there was less than 100 signed up  Cry
I was not invited  Cry Cry

I have now thrown my toys out of my pram and withdrawn my buyin (mega pissed off) so just one last chance next Sunday to qualify....crossing fingers x
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »

Hotel room is still booked but ticket has not been won yet with 2 weeks to go Sad

I satted into this weeks final but tonights game was cancelled due to site maintenance... FML.

I bought in with the hope of winning a sat and withdrawing my buyin and then I noticed an invitation only game on Betfair midweek. 160 player invitation at $25 with top 30 guaranteed a seat, there was less than 100 signed up  Cry

I have now thrown my toys out of my pram and withdrawn my buyin (mega pissed off) so just one last chance next Sunday to qualify....crossing fingers x

Why??

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »

Why??

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 04:58:39 AM »

Sorry, after reading my post I didnt explain it very well.

I think Betfair should have looked at who was playing the sats up to that point and maybe invited people who had invested $$ and who actually want to play the live game?

I assume the 160 invited were active Betfair forum members which I am not, but I recall chatting to a chap at the DTD Apat World event last year. He told me that he wasnt a poker player as such(mostly gambled on sport betting) but had been invited to an exclusive online poker game where the top 100(?) would be treated to an all inclusive buyin/costs and fancy dinner. He told me there was less than 30 people signed up :/ Nothing wrong with adding incentatives to keep gamblers on site I guess ?

I also know that some people got invitations who had already qualified.

All that apart...I have so far spent about $60 trying to get there, I have a $120 ticket for this Sundays game..last chance saloon but I am confident it will happen Smiley

Reason for throwing toys out the pram is because 30/96 people have qualified by playing 1 $25 game ( I sooo KNOW I would have got there) and I refuse to pay the full buyin (or risk stakes).

If I felt I had an edge I would be very pleased at so many online qualifiers but tbf I should/would like to have been be one of the 30.

GL me on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:12:50 AM by suzanne » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »

Suzanne,

I can understand your frustration, & I'm not here to defend Betfair, or fly any flag for them. But understanding why they do this may ease your frustration.

What they are doing by inviting "non-regulars" or sports bettors rather than poker players is standard industry practice.

It's called, variously, "Winback", "Acquisition", or "Nurture".

The players they are trying to motivate are not those already or currently playing on the site, it's those who are NOT currently playing on the site. They are prime targets to improve traffic & revenues. That is the whole basis of targeted or tightly focussed promotions, offers, & freerolls.

You may take the entirely reasonable view of "well sod them, what about me, I DO play on here, where are my incentives & freebies?". Quite correct, too. What Betfair, & all other sites, have to do, is strike a balance between retaining existing player loyalty, & new or "Winback" Clients. This also mitigates against the churn rate - reducing churn is a prime focus for all Online Rooms.

Good luck in getting qualified. Win the lot.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »

Just found this thread......otherwise I would have guessed who I was sitting next to  Wink

ul on qualifying, I'm still in,... just!....but either way, I'm making it next weekend.

I'm happy to buy a piece of you, so try and make it and I'll see you there.

suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:47 AM »

Thx for the post Tony.

I do understand what you are saying and yes it does make sense I suppose in that they want new customers on the poker forum but its like a lot of "new" customer promotions....it pisses off the existing customers so much that they want to go elsewhere.

As you might have guessed i didnt qualify.

Half of me still wants to play this as I was soooo looking forward to it and the other half says if you cant even win a sat then dont bother.

I must admit I am not in a very good frame of mind at the moment poker wise, just been playing in the PokerPlayer main event on Betfred. $30 buyin 5k stack with 30 min blinds (yes really, 30 min blinds), still watching and they havent hit FT yet LOL. I went out 23rd (top 20 paid) when I called a shove with AA v AK, cant remember the board..only that there was 2 kings on it....7.5 hrs of my life I will never get back.

I am also well out of practise at playing live, I played a local home game this week and realised just how bad I have become.

I will decide today /later as I have a 72hr cancellation on the hotel.

04.48 and still no FT...11 left LOL...on a Monday night!!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »

Thx for the post Tony.

I do understand what you are saying and yes it does make sense I suppose in that they want new customers on the poker forum but its like a lot of "new" customer promotions....it pisses off the existing customers so much that they want to go elsewhere.

As you might have guessed i didnt qualify.

Half of me still wants to play this as I was soooo looking forward to it and the other half says if you cant even win a sat then dont bother.

I must admit I am not in a very good frame of mind at the moment poker wise, just been playing in the PokerPlayer main event on Betfred. $30 buyin 5k stack with 30 min blinds (yes really, 30 min blinds), still watching and they havent hit FT yet LOL. I went out 23rd (top 20 paid) when I called a shove with AA v AK, cant remember the board..only that there was 2 kings on it....7.5 hrs of my life I will never get back.

I am also well out of practise at playing live, I played a local home game this week and realised just how bad I have become.

I will decide today /later as I have a 72hr cancellation on the hotel.

04.48 and still no FT...11 left LOL...on a Monday night!!

Yes, I understand, though I'm not at all sure why it upsets people so, but it does, there's no doubt.

All Online Rooms do the same thing, & all face the same tug-of-war between addressing lapsed Clients, & trying to re-activate, & keeping their loyal regulars happy. It's a matter of balance, really.

Unlucky with the A-A v A-K , that epitomises the very essence & beauty of NLH if you are on the right end of it, & the ugliness & unfairness when on the wrong end of it. But I fancy, with 23 left, if the hands were reversed, you'd have played it the same as he did, with the same result.

Chin up, it's only poker.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »

I don't quite know where you are with the staking proposal for this, Suzanne, but if any is left, I'll take it. You'll have to trust me with payment, though, as I don't have any means to transmit cash online.

suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 02:33:39 AM »

Thx for the post Tony.

Yes, I understand, though I'm not at all sure why it upsets people so, but it does, there's no doubt.

All Online Rooms do the same thing, & all face the same tug-of-war between addressing lapsed Clients, & trying to re-activate, & keeping their loyal regulars happy. It's a matter of balance, really.

Unlucky with the A-A v A-K , that epitomises the very essence & beauty of NLH if you are on the right end of it, & the ugliness & unfairness when on the wrong end of it. But I fancy, with 23 left, if the hands were reversed, you'd have played it the same as he did, with the same result.

I know poker sites have new member freerolls etc which is all fine but this was different...at least it was the first time i have come across something like this. TBF I have only ever played sats for live games to Apat and Betfred Ladies as I dont really play live much. Apat will have have the odd game where a seat might be an added bonus but this was a 30 SEAT invitation only...is this the norm? and if it is can someone please send me info on how to get into these games?

This thread has become a bit of a dilemma for me.

The initial request was for a local £200+ game which I felt was out of my budget. Travel costs/no hotel bills were the main factors for asking for stakes (before sorting a babysitter..sigh). The replies were quite frankly overwhelming (not sure why) and went far above the 10 x 10% I asked for.

I then decided to try for the Betfair game as it isnt too far but hoped to sat in and then sell % to pay for costs...this hasnt happened either.

I WILL do this but I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible as tbh I am totally skint.

I am still looking.....DTD is looking fav at the mo.

And yes I agree about the hand Tony...the irony was that i was very low on chips and had managed to double through twice and was in a comfortable positon...I actually said in the chatbox I am gonna fold aces till the money... and that was the next hand Smiley

PS I want a Tikay tenner...just for luck value x
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:44:54 AM by suzanne » Logged
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »

Thx for the post Tony.

I know poker sites have new member freerolls etc which is all fine but this was different...at least it was the first time i have come across something like this. TBF I have only ever played sats for live games to Apat and Betfred Ladies as I dont really play live much. Apat will have have the odd game where a seat might be an added bonus but this was a 30 SEAT invitation only...is this the norm? and if it is can someone please send me info on how to get into these games?

This thread has become a bit of a dilemma for me.

The initial request was for a local £200+ game which I felt was out of my budget. Travel costs/no hotel bills were the main factors for asking for stakes (before sorting a babysitter..sigh). The replies were quite frankly overwhelming (not sure why) and went far above the 10 x 10% I asked for.

I then decided to try for the Betfair game as it isnt too far but hoped to sat in and then sell % to pay for costs...this hasnt happened either.

I WILL do this but I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible as tbh I am totally skint.

I am still looking.....DTD is looking fav at the mo.

And yes I agree about the hand Tony...the irony was that i was very low on chips and had managed to double through twice and was in a comfortable positon...I actually said in the chatbox I am gonna fold aces till the money... and that was the next hand Smiley

PS I want a Tikay tenner...just for luck value x

Hi Suzanne

As Tikay alluded to, I would surmise it was a 30 seat invitational because Betfair have a huge data base of sports betters (unlike  most other cardrooms)....and it was these people who were targetted. It could be that numbers were looking low a few weeks ago (UKIPT on at DTD this weekend)...and they decided to go down this route.

Keep looking at online sats for Live events and then sell %, as you say,......you will get there.

Good luck !
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

Nick has it about spot on. On multi-platform sites, it's quite normal, & to be fair, not unreasonable. Cross-selling is an integral part of their business model, & they are perfectly entitled to do it, much as it may annoy some. It's a business, after all.

Suzanne can have a "luck tenner" from me any day, & I'll try & take some action - if any is available - when you decide where & when to play.

On a seperate note, is that Event at the Fox Club tomorrow (Saturday) open to all - could I turn up & buy a Seat if I so desired?

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »

Nick has it about spot on. On multi-platform sites, it's quite normal, & to be fair, not unreasonable. Cross-selling is an integral part of their business model, & they are perfectly entitled to do it, much as it may annoy some. It's a business, after all.

Suzanne can have a "luck tenner" from me any day, & I'll try & take some action - if any is available - when you decide where & when to play.

On a seperate note, is that Event at the Fox Club tomorrow (Saturday) open to all - could I turn up & buy a Seat if I so desired?

I rang the Fox in the week, asking if I could buy in a friend.....and they said it wasn't open to the "general public", and that he would have to go through betfair.
To be honest I wouldn't think betfair would turn punters away on the day if there was room?, however on the betfair forum , the organisers are saying its nearly full (170?) and you have to email them if you want a seat.
Note its a 2 day event.

http://community.betfair.com/betfair_poker_live/go/thread/view/111341/26963745/Betfair_Poker_LIVE!_London
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

Thanks Nick. I had a gander on the Betfair Forum, too, it suggests "a few seats" may be available. I know Joe Legge extremely well, we go back a long way pre-Betfair - Virgin, & Sporting Odds etc, & I have/had a very good working relationship with him at all three, so I guess I could ring him & ask a favour, but I don't think I will, it's a bit out of order I think. 

I was just sort of idly curious.

Win the lot Nick, good luck.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: