blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 1187 1188 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2563159 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17745 on: November 03, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »

Mums just arrived in Barcelona to visit for a couple of days. Will have plenty of words of wisdom for me no doubt.

Yesterday's online session was the first time in many months, even years that was so horrible that it still hurts today. Really nasty day. Usually the next morning I'm fine but this one still hurts today. I'll try not to let that affect the discussions with Mum!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17746 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »

Mums just arrived in Barcelona to visit for a couple of days. Will have plenty of words of wisdom for me no doubt.

Yesterday's online session was the first time in many months, even years that was so horrible that it still hurts today. Really nasty day. Usually the next morning I'm fine but this one still hurts today. I'll try not to let that affect the discussions with Mum!

I followed you until around midnight in the Sky Poker High Roller, last time I looked you were Top 2 with about 15 left - how much did you cash for? Think the top 3 when I switched off was you, Chris Moorman & Railtard.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17747 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »

I followed you until around midnight in the Sky Poker High Roller, last time I looked you were Top 2 with about 15 left - how much did you cash for? Think the top 3 when I switched off was you, Chris Moorman & Railtard.

13th and £0

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17748 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »

Was chip leader with 15 left with 10 paid in fact then the most epic self-bok happened.

The first thing was me saying to Victoria "I haven't had a set back in this yet". It had just been plain sailing so far.

Then when I took the chip lead from Moorman I tweeted the show because they were going on about how Moorman was chip leader and I wanted to set them straight Cheesy

Then Moorman and I played a pot, not a huge one (I folded KQ on QT829) but it was enough to put him back on top.

Feeling silly, I deleted the tweet.

Then lost a huge flip.

Then the show started reviewing the hand that Moorman and I played and I found out he bluffed me. Matt on the show was like "This is gonna get snapped off by Alex here I'm sure. OH MY GOD HE'S FOLDED!" And Victoria was laughing her head off.

And at this exact moment I busted.

Laptop almost went out the window.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17749 on: November 03, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »

Was chip leader with 15 left with 10 paid in fact then the most epic self-bok happened.

The first thing was me saying to Victoria "I haven't had a set back in this yet". It had just been plain sailing so far.

Then when I took the chip lead from Moorman I tweeted the show because they were going on about how Moorman was chip leader and I wanted to set them straight Cheesy

Then Moorman and I played a pot, not a huge one (I folded KQ on QT829) but it was enough to put him back on top.

Feeling silly, I deleted the tweet.

Then lost a huge flip.

Then the show started reviewing the hand that Moorman and I played and I found out he bluffed me. Matt on the show was like "This is gonna get snapped off by Alex here I'm sure. OH MY GOD HE'S FOLDED!" And Victoria was laughing her head off.

And at this exact moment I busted.

Laptop almost went out the window.

Ha!

That is just superb.

I should not laugh really, it's decent money, but I did, sorry. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17750 on: November 03, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

It is funny now looking back actually. That's a good sign I guess.

I felt sick to my stomach at the time and all through the night.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #17751 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

dont feel too bad, that post may be enough to get you the much needed Moorman book

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17752 on: November 03, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »

dont feel too bad, that post may be enough to get you the much needed Moorman book

Yeah, it has a whole chapter on bluffing.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #17753 on: November 03, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »

With all due respect to all contributors to this recent discussion on the best investment to make, none of you can now what is best for anyone unless you have had a full and detailed discussion with them about a whole host of things.

I would personally much rather take the advice of a chartered and/or certified financial planner who comes highly recommended, than take my investment advice from this thread.

Seriously, I mean no offence to anyone who has posted in saying that.

I mean this is true, and I assume Alex isn't going to say "Right I asked 15 people on blonde what to do and 9 of them said buy a house so I'm buying a house" It's a forum, you got accountants, bricklayers, sportsbetters and lawyers all rolfing around ITT and everyone's opinion is there's.

There are two long term proffessional gamblers ITT and one of them said he should 100% buy a house if he is able, and the other said don't buy a house until you can do so without massively damaging your liquid net worth, does blonde give you solid, reasoned porffessional advice - NO, what it gives you is a range of opinions from a range of characters/backgrounds.

One other aspect is your level of degeneracy.

88% concentration (remember him) spun up £100k plus and down again and up and down but in the blog talked about buying a house or part of one. If he had not bought the illiquid asset that is a house, then you can guarantee that it would have been lost by the end of the month through poker (and maybe back again) but these things don't tend to end well.

Don't know what happened to him in the end - was still an amazing tale.

Equity in a house is just something that gives that extra confidence that allows risks elsewhere.

Absolute best blog ever back in the day 

agree was sickest read ever. That's pretty irrelevant mind, as he wasn't a proffessional gambler, if that guy had £200k liquid then we'd all be saying BUY A FUCKING HOUSE and unplugging his router until he'd bought one Tongue

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #17754 on: November 03, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »

If it's possible to buy, would defo be worth doing.

If you rent a place, eg £600 per month, £72,000 over 10 years, not factoring in increases, it's a lot of "dead" money.

Owning your house - on a mortgage - over those 10 years you are building up equity in the house.

Ideal if you could just say there is x amount as a deposit (get a good loan to value), and take a mortgage for the difference.

Would be really interesting to hear if you can get a mortgage. Most providers might have issues with "poker income".

Good luck with it!

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17755 on: November 03, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »

If you rent a place, eg £600 per month, £72,000 over 10 years, not factoring in increases, it's a lot of "dead" money.

Owning your house - on a mortgage - over those 10 years you are building up equity in the house.

Ideal if you could just say there is x amount as a deposit (get a good loan to value), and take a mortgage for the difference.

Would be really interesting to hear if you can get a mortgage. Most providers might have issues with "poker income".

Good luck with it!

Not as much dead money as losing £50-100k a year he could earn from investing his £150k roll into his day job rather than a house over 10 years.  Makes the rent seem like small change.  Depends how much you value the lifestyle of working for yourself tax free i suppose v having a fixed steady income which doesn't require you to invest any cash to make so you can tie your cash up in a house instead.  Horses for courses.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #17756 on: November 03, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »

Good luck with it!

Pretty sure a poker player can get a mortgage if bank of mum and dad will guarantee it  Wink
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #17757 on: November 03, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »

I mean this is true, and I assume Alex isn't going to say "Right I asked 15 people on blonde what to do and 9 of them said buy a house so I'm buying a house" It's a forum, you got accountants, bricklayers, sportsbetters and lawyers all rolfing around ITT and everyone's opinion is there's.

There are two long term proffessional gamblers ITT and one of them said he should 100% buy a house if he is able, and the other said don't buy a house until you can do so without massively damaging your liquid net worth, does blonde give you solid, reasoned porffessional advice - NO, what it gives you is a range of opinions from a range of characters/backgrounds.

You always manage to make a lot of sense of things and tie up conversations succinctly.  I still think there are a few people saying, what you need to do/would defo be worth doing.  Not possible to gauge any of that without asking quite a lot of questions first.  Point taken from you though Dave.
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #17758 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »

Not as much dead money as losing £50-100k a year he could earn from investing his £150k roll into his day job rather than a house over 10 years.  Makes the rent seem like small change.  Depends how much you value the lifestyle of working for yourself tax free i suppose v having a fixed steady income which doesn't require you to invest any cash to make so you can tie your cash up in a house instead.  Horses for courses.
[/quote]

Totally understand what you are saying. If taking x amount out of your roll is going to be detrimental to what you can achieve in £

Imo, it's really a balance.

You can get the best of both worlds.

You can take out some, say £20k as an example. And get a mortgage (if that is possible)

Or, say over the next 3-6 months, I am going to use some of my "earnings" to put towards a deposit.
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #17759 on: November 03, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »

Good luck with it!

Pretty sure a poker player can get a mortgage if bank of mum and dad will guarantee it  Wink

couple of years ago i was putting down a 60% deposit down with my dad as a guarantor (prison officer 30+ years) and the underwriters knocked it back.

@whollyflush on twitter
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 1187 1188 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: