blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 08:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272932 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary of a MTT Grinder Wannabe
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary of a MTT Grinder Wannabe  (Read 191758 times)
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »

Jason just had a deep run in the main event. Great player both on line and live

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

When i am trying to work out maths wise if its a call. I click call if i win i play on , if i lose i close the box and reg another.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »

Great post Dreenie, Blonde at its best, free advice which we can all learn from.

'Jason Somerville' videos, which site was this from ?

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks... The website is called pokervt.com

Best of luck.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »

Great post Dreenie, Blonde at its best, free advice which we can all learn from.

'Jason Somerville' videos, which site was this from ?

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks... The website is called pokervt.com

Best of luck.

Hey Dreenie, just posting to say great reply to a top post from Ant.

Plus I want to follow this thread, not read it fully yet, but will do.

I play $1-10 MTT's (PLO/NLH), have been grinding 20-30 hours a week for the last 4 months, going ok, but really looking to step up both in levels, my skills and time played. Doing a shitty day job to make sure the bills are paid and the pressure is off when playing.

I've seen some of Jasons videos, Jonathon Little has some decent ones too (imho), maybe a bit dated now, but good solid advice.

What do I get, no sleep at night.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »

Ty for the post dreenie and others.

I am going to stick to the games i know and play well, get the HUD set up, explore the use of table ninja for playing Pokerstars and just try out loads of different types of sngs and mtt's and settle on a really profitable structure and find as close to a bit of stability as possible.

I do wonder how using all of these programs will affect my game, and i really hope that its going to be a matter of being annoyed i hadn't used these aids much sooner.

With the future of this blog i am going to probably wait until i start grinding fully at an attempted living professionally from August 17th. When i will be free to go really hard at it and attempt to smash the games i have a familiarity in. Going to be exploring other games and other educational aids as well but with caution.

Layout of this blog will eventually be, what I plan to do on a nights session, my buyins, and then my returns. Also with notes about what i am doing well, what i should be looking to improve and any other questions i may have that i need help with answering or any fascinating points. I am going to relatively obsess about the intricate detail of the games i am going to play hoping that under that scrutiny i will find ways to eek out more profits.

I may alter this as i go along and be lazy in not keeping up with the blog, but what can you expect, blonde does not pay me for this tripe. Hopefully though it will be consistent and eventually i hope that what will be noticeable is the progression from a pretty lazy doing ok winning player into a proactive bulldozer who the hell can fucking stop him machine. I can have hopes but i need to make sure i do all i can to make it all come to actuality. It may well not, not going to live in a fantasy, just showing from the outset i am going to work my bollocks off.

I have hardly played so far this year and have made about $24k, which is good for the amount I have put in, but i really want to be pushing for more and i think with focus and a structure and a routine i could finally get there.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:36 AM »

It's so bloody tough getting out of bad habits and I need to with my approach to poker. Good but deffo so leaky. Discipline needed for the first time in my life, then pow I can envisage some great results. It's like I need to overcome a 5 year bad habit towards poker (sigh at the missed value) but I keep getting drawn into the lazy approach. I think something has snapped tonight anyway.

I am on a Wayne Bentley style delusional rise to the top now.
jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »

lol, we could all fall into that trap if after one big win we start talking like Wayne, I'm sure we'd all love to make a living from this game, but it's not that easy, we know that, Wayne it seems doesn't, which is one reason it's funny.

Bad habits I probably have more than I'd admit too, and some I don't even know about, but have spent the last few years systematically trying to remove them from my game, whilst still enjoying it. Perfection is nearly impossible in poker, luck just doesn't always reward it either. Working on removing bad habits does not always get you results, it's going to improve those results in the long run removing the all the bad habits you can though.

I have time to take a spin at the moment, and have had a few decent scores this year, but won't be giving up the day job in the foreseeable future, don't know I'd ever want to anyway. but it does allow me time to kick back and do what I want when I want. There could be a fine line between that and Wayne's delusional behaviour, and I'd hope my friends would tell me if I was getting near to it...

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »

It's so bloody tough getting out of bad habits and I need to with my approach to poker. Good but deffo so leaky. Discipline needed for the first time in my life, then pow I can envisage some great results. It's like I need to overcome a 5 year bad habit towards poker (sigh at the missed value) but I keep getting drawn into the lazy approach. I think something has snapped tonight anyway.

Lol, worry not bud, you are not alone.

Good luck you, & try & curb that delusion thing, it is SO easy to think we are good after a little result.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »

Lol, worry not bud, you are not alone.

Good luck you, & try & curb that delusion thing, it is SO easy to think we are good after a little result.

I spout the delusional thing but realistically planted on the ground. I just like to talk a big game in the hope it will motivate me to play better than before.

I am a decent winning player that with application could be so much better. Going to read the mental game book and learn as much as I can so hopefully I am never at too much of an unease with some borderline moves. I am talking some of the plain old its either a right or wrong decisions with shoves, that could be quelled with some sngwhiz investigation.

I can list so many different things I need to do to help but I need to list them all, prioritise and the apply segments to certain days for me to go and learn. Isn't too difficult and I expect a snowball effect.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 01, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »

Think i have gone mental.

The Super Tuesday is on and I love the allure of a 1/400 ish shot of the 70kish first place.

It was 12.05am, 2 and a bit hours after the tournament had started, no satellites available. Can't really allow for $1050 entry outright with no satellite, so in desperation entered a $500 hyper heads up sng, which i win. Here is where i go conservative. I now just register for the $1050, instead of playing another hu and being break even. So i have entered for half price effectively.

Blinds were at 75/150 with 5000 chips to start. Not fazed, I am in.

241 left, first is 72k, last time i entered this i came 15th about a month ago. I was 3/17 and made two proper dodgy plays that have haunted me a little, so i would like to put it right.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 01, 2012, 01:26:29 AM »

Dream over in 144th.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

Degens gonna degen!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »

Think i have gone mental.

The Super Tuesday is on and I love the allure of a 1/400 ish shot of the 70kish first place.

It was 12.05am, 2 and a bit hours after the tournament had started, no satellites available. Can't really allow for $1050 entry outright with no satellite, so in desperation entered a $500 hyper heads up sng, which i win. Here is where i go conservative. I now just register for the $1050, instead of playing another hu and being break even. So i have entered for half price effectively.

Blinds were at 75/150 with 5000 chips to start. Not fazed, I am in.

241 left, first is 72k, last time i entered this i came 15th about a month ago. I was 3/17 and made two proper dodgy plays that have haunted me a little, so i would like to put it right.

seems quite alarming to be honest mate.

is this a usual thing?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »

Nope.

I was buoyed by something to play this tourn, I made up for it with other binks in the night, but yeh complete and utter one off.

jackinbeat

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 01, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

Nothing wrong in taking a shot, heard that's how some players got their bankroll, didn't Galfond at one time have a winning session that was more than his whole bankroll at the time? and durrrr talks about taking shots with 20% of their roll.

I think if it's done properly, and I wouldn't know off the top of my head how to do that, but say if you're a winning player, ROI 40%, you take a shot say once every 3 months, with 20% of your roll, and only take another shot once you've rebuilt any losses, it could work. It's just controlling the shots, had a PLO spin a few years back 4400 up to about $6k in a few days going from $.25/.50 winning the majority at $2/4 and sitting in, or actually shitting it in a $5/10 game, ended up about $4k and cashed out. Did try to start from $400 again few times but no luck.

I wonder if there's any articles on taking shots, If I was doing it now, it would be live, prob the spanish pokerstars tour as i'd imagine with Rafa's involvement its attracting value, it's getting decent fields I believe and the buy ins not much.

What made you decide to take a shot Ant, and how often/high have you played before, and do you plan to do it in the future, or is it a random thought that you decide to act on?

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 83 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: