blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Revision with kids
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Revision with kids  (Read 3652 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

revision so hard, fortunately, GCSE's mean f all.

But that isnt true in this kids life - for the next 6 months it will shape his progression to the next stage.

My degree now means fk all, but when I got it it was how I was bench marked.

So sadly, as much as you are right, it will be how he is benchmarked for the next 6 months, until his next step!

Pains me to say it, but v good post.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Free_Rollin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »

Any tips? My lads going for his GCSE's this summer, i just seem to be nagging him to revise, wish i could help him, i would quite happilly give an hour a day but don't know how.

If the problem is that he wants help but you're not sure how, then maybe look into getting a tutor. There's still probably a couple months left till exams (can't remember). Tutors are often university students/teachers so they know exactly what is important and will teach in an effective method.

If the problem is motivation, then perhaps go about telling him how GCSE's are a stepping stone to uni. Maybe the idea of him being by himself in a new city will inspire him to study! Try to do it in a way that doesn't add pressure to him. My parents always stressed the importance of getting A's all the time, and it made me feel like if I don't, I'll disappoint them. This is obviously not good for the student.

Good luck to him.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »

I could never revise anything, I'd look at it remember doing it before and find it totally uninteresting.

I did attend the pub quiz most weeks as preparation for my General Studies A Level.

Amazing the number of people who struggled with General Studies. Many considered it to be a micky mouse a-level, but I think it showed those who had more common sense and a more rounded knowledge rather than the ability to study a specific syllabus and answer questions on that.

Imo of course.

I took it very seriously and my preparation helped me get an A grade. Tongue

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »

I could never revise anything, I'd look at it remember doing it before and find it totally uninteresting.

I did attend the pub quiz most weeks as preparation for my General Studies A Level.

Amazing the number of people who struggled with General Studies. Many considered it to be a micky mouse a-level, but I think it showed those who had more common sense and a more rounded knowledge rather than the ability to study a specific syllabus and answer questions on that.

Imo of course.

I did bugger all preparation and got the same Wink

Didn't quite work out the same with maths though...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »

My daughter is doing GCSE's ATM and she is very motivated and doing well. I think the main reason for her motivation to study comes down to the fact she is very focused on wanting to be a midwife and knows what grades she needs to progress to college/uni etc.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »

Imo of course.

I did bugger all preparation and got the same Wink

Didn't quite work out the same with maths though...

I don't think I know many people who didn't get an A for general studies A level, but they weren't an option at my school Sad

For helping with revision, it depends how much work you can put in to it.

The basic template should probably be along the lines of find questions you can ask them on key facts they 'should' know (revision guides should be good for this) - with an underlying bribe of a certain amount for every A or A* and a certain amount for every A-C grade.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »

I don't think I know many people who didn't get an A for general studies A level, but they weren't an option at my school Sad

Sick rubdown of my earlier post of getting a C. clearly it was harder when i did my exam... I spent 8 yrs working in the intelligence industry as well. But now I feel like an idiot. Where is the suicide button?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »

Sick rubdown of my earlier post of getting a C. clearly it was harder when i did my exam... I spent 8 yrs working in the intelligence industry as well. But now I feel like an idiot. Where is the suicide button?

Cheesy

Don't take it as an insult.  Jon doesn't know anyone who isn't a family member Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

Cheesy

Don't take it as an insult.  Jon doesn't know anyone who isn't a family member Wink

Lol. So depressed at getting owned on here today I am gonna go and attack the grass in the garden. Probably wont be anymore posts from me for about a week as it is a beast of a garden. SIGH. lawnamonts.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »

LOL LWND

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

revision so hard, fortunately, GCSE's mean f all.

Bit of a gross generalisation. Interview many graduates do you? I've done a fair few, and I still look at GCSE results. Someone has 3 As at A level, great. Same person has 3 As and 7 Cs&Ds GCSE it's pretty much dead on they're going to be a narrow minded nerds. I'd say GCSEs results don't become ignorable until someone's got a few years experience in a job.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice your a great bunch. The GCSE's mean everything to him. Got to get C grade or above to get into college for A'levels.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »

Thanks for the advice your a great bunch. The GCSE's mean everything to him. Got to get C grade or above to get into college for A'levels.

Then that is all you need to tell him. I'd go for the "few weeks of pain, lifetime of gain approach".

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

But don't then tell them that their A Levels are probably going to be the hardest exams they ever do.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »

But don't then tell them that their A Levels are probably going to be the hardest exams they ever do.

If only this was true.

A-Levels were a piece of piss compared to 2nd/3rd year maths degree exams. It was a challenge to understand what the title of the course meant, nevermind the subject content.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: