blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:09:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Another idea
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another idea  (Read 3090 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »

Live Cash

4,5,or 6 limpers say, u have 22-77 in the blinds or indeed in late position, how about making a "potbuilder" raise to say 3-4x that you know everyone's gonna call but builds the pot for when you hit a set? So long as no1s limped that may limp raise, and so long as no1 in the hand is capable enough to realise you never have a strong hand here (ie. every 50/1 table ever). this last assumption is paramount.

Seems like a good idea? Much easier to get 100bbs in when the pot is say 25ish and its only cost you £2-£3 extra. easier than £7 pots you can never get stacks in really vs calling stations. instead of betting say 5/14/30 you can bet 15/33/shove. easy game.

what are the downsides in this?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »

If you are playing players that bad and you have 5/6 limpers say, you can bet 5/6 OTF, pick up a couple of callers (super likely on flops seen 5-way in a 100NL live game). 21 on the turn, jam the river (should be ~pot). Doesn't seem like a great idea to be bloating pots from the blinds where your chances are far more reduced of getting all the money in the middle with your position. In deeper games, its probably more profitable, not so much in a 100bb 0.50/1 game. See your set cheap and make them pay big.

Plugging ABC leaks is far more profitable than finding funky ways of getting small extra edges in those games. If you are at a table of good/competant players where you might have to mix it up a bit to win big, fair enough. But not in the 50/1 table scenario discussed.

(side note: i've written that post after 0 hours of sleep at 8am, so i accept 0 responsibility if it makes no sense)
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »

Uh, 7.5 out of 8.5 times you don't make a set

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »

+1, obv there are far more times where we will be throwing it away on the flop or we become non believers and decide to continue in the hand with one over etc. Unless you flop sets 30%+ of the time i honestly think it is pretty bad at the lower stakes.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

how can it be a bad play if you're set mining? Honestly its a fine play, prolly slightly -EV in the short term as you will be chk/flding a high % of flops but the play is fine imo as long as there are a few fish in the hand, wont make a lot of diff vs good players

it is just a bit pointless tho, i mean the thing about live cash with weak players is the pot can be whatever size ou want it to be any time. if there is 8 in there you can bet £8 get 2 callers, bet £22 OTT, 1 caller and £60 OTR and bam uv nearly taken 100bb's off him and he hasn't noticed.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »

basically the 3/4x that you miss out on pre flop to build the pot to make on the flop/turn when you make a slightly larger bet size than normal. They haz pair they will cawl, they haz nothing, they will fold.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »

It's an interesting idea and i see what you're saying. May be useful at the end of the night when everyone is >200bb's and super stationy. Generally at 50/1 though if people decide they're peeling they don't give a f**k what sizing it is so I don't think it's that tricky to just go pot/pot/shove when you do have it. If we're only 100bb's effective i don't think a 3x pre will make that much difference to getting stacks in most of time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:16:06 PM by muckthenuts » Logged
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

Uh, you've missed the point

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »

Dont like it - bad idea.  Makes your hand less profitable imo.  If players are that bad that they will never reraise  pre then it should be easy to build the pot once you hit a set.  Also the fish will reraise the times they have aces/kings and then youve just made it a lot more expensive or not possible to set mine and crack their big hand.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »

Dont think building the pot in ssnl live is gonna be a problem. In deeper, nitfish-infested games then boom yes (because we can win it a lot of the time post anyway (when it goes 2/3way) and we get some camouflage on our range). fk im gonna patent that.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

Camoflouflaging your range with Alex Martin

I'll buy that book

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »

Dont think building the pot in ssnl live is gonna be a problem. In deeper, nitfish-infested games then boom yes (because we can win it a lot of the time post anyway (when it goes 2/3way) and we get some camouflage on our range). fk im gonna patent that.

So you would raise small/build a pot in live cash game with premiums? If not then we aren't balanaced at all right?

I like to raise biggish in live cash games and think that if we are going to camouflage any range at all then it should be our limp/limp behind range.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »

agree with players that bad you don't need to really set up the pot for an easy get in stax river shove.

if i was gonna raise id prob make it more tho like 7-8 both for value/taking pot down there and also prob a good spot for our image on the table in general as some kind of super lag nutcase.

also in 50/1 you'd have to make sure eveyrone is at least 120bb stacked, and tbh in that game it full of 30-60bb players.

think in general we will just level our self tho with stuff like this.  see a flop for cheap.  flop set.  profit. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:25:07 PM by scotty77 » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »

It might boost your total winnings but if anything it's going to decrease your EV overall.

If you hit a set you need someone to flop something to pay you off.

The less players in the pot the less likely that someone will hit something of sufficient quality to pay you.

As soon as you raise you're decreasing effective stacks so decreasing your payout.

There's other reasons to raise but pot building isn't a good one imo.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »

A lot of the responses do seem to be missing the point. OP doesn't expect or want a single person to fold, nor think it's that neccesary to be balanced in your standard live £.50/1 game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:03:06 PM by muckthenuts » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: