blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG  (Read 125512 times)
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2005, 07:14:53 PM »

DAY 25: Friday 8th July  Main Event Day 2
I hadn't slept well, kept thinking about how I was going to play and the conflict between survival in the tournament and getting a big chip stack. Went to breakfast with Nick in the San Paulo Caf?at about 10am and was kindly joined by Gary Bush when he saw that my diamond card got me to the front of the queue. I find talking with Bushy a strange, as often he will walk away from you in mid conversation, then come back 10 minutes later and resume the same conversation at exactly the same point! I like the guy though; he's a unique character and is also extremely knowledgeable about poker, he actually makes a lot of sense when you can get him to stand still.

I reached my table, no 46 seat 7, just as those famous words, shuffle up and deal echoed around the arena, good start, I'm on time! I only knew 2 players at the table, on my immediate right, Jo Beavers (Hendon Mob), and on my immediate left, Eric Lingren, double WPT Winner. The rest of the players looked nervous and had internet shirts on and I assumed they were mostly satellite qualifiers. Bad news and goods news, Eric Lingren presence would restrict my play (as he had position on me), but Jo Beavers wasn't going to give me such a hard time stealing my blinds. Overall, I was happy with my table.

Level 1 25-50 Fell out with Eric Lingren already!

I played 14 hands in this level and increased my stack to 13,500 by the end of the level. An excellent start. These chips were won in 2 hands:

Hand 1
I raised 200 in seat 7 with 4d5d and of course Eric Lingren called on the button. I was finding it really difficult to play a pot in position as he was playing every pot! The flop came, , I have 2 pair. I bet 400 and Eric calls thinking I have missed, Turn , I check to show weakness and he bets 1200, I flat call, River , I check and he thinks about bluffing again but unfortunately does not (there was no point of me betting on the river as he would just fold), I show my hand and he mucks.

Hand 2
I raise 300 in mid position with AA (a big raise to protect my hand this early in the tournament) the BB flat calls. He puts his sunglasses on and stares straight at me, who cares, I have AA. I want a unpaired rainbow flop but it comes down TsTh2d. The only hands I am scared about are JT, AT, 77, he check. I decide to check to give him a free card if he has AQ or AK, and also keep the pot small in case he is slow playing a monster. The Turn is a two hearts, he checks, I bet 1000 into a 700 pot, he flat calls. River comes and he checks again. He has showed real weakness throughout the hand, and I come to the conclusion he has 88,99, JJ. However, I check the river and flop over my AA, he mucks. Now, I know I could have milked him for another 1000 on the river, but I just don't want to risk being check raised on a TT22 board against the BB. I heard Eric say, you had him, man behind me, and I turned round and said very politley, would you bet with that board? He replied sarcastically, I don't give free advice in major tournanamnts! Eric Lingren is a world-class player who I aspire to play like, so I told him where to stick his advice and we never spoke one word for the next 8 hours (even though we were sat next to each other!).

Level 2 50-100 Static
No progress this level, finshed up with 13,400 chips but I only played 4 hands! This was nothing to do with my cards, just that someone had nearly always raised before me so I could not enter the pot as the aggressor. I raised a couple of times in early position to steal the blinds and that was it. I was getting on pretty well with Jo Beavers and hoped that we wouldn't clash. I'm a bit soft like that, when I get on with someone at the table, I try and stay out there pots, sometimes subconsciously.

Level 3 75-150 Lingren The Master
Although I had fell out with Eric, I think the guy is absolute class. He was playing at least 1 every 3 pots and I wasn't even concentrating on my situation, I was watching him take apart these weak players who checked to him allowing him to bet them out, time and time again. His main move was to call the raisers bet on the flop in late position, then call there bet on the flop, and turn, and if they check the river (or flop or turn) he would bet them out! He even did this move on the experienced Jo Beavers when Jo laid his hand down when Eric represented the flush on the river. I tried to stay away from Eric even passing my SB when he was on the BB, however, when I was forced to play AQs on the small blind heads-up with Eric's BB, he bet of the flop, the turn and the river and my Ace high was good! I would like to say for the record though, that this is the highest calibre player I have ever sat on the same poker table as. I rate him much higher than Negraneau, as he is much more aggressiveI just feel that Negraneau is more of a gambler, and Eric Lingren is a Stone Cold Killer. However, Negraneau is has much better table manners!

This was a good level for me, finishing on 16,500 chips. Bearing in mind I bluffed 3500 away when I raised with 23 on the button, missed the flop, turn and river, and bluffed every street, I was well happy with the 16,500 finishing chips stack.

I played too many hands this level - 16 to be exact. I was too loose, but the table was tight, I raised with Q3, 52, 23 and wasted chips bluffing into big hands on the flop. The problem with me is once I have fired the 1st bullet, I can't stop firing, and end up firing the 3rd bullet on the river and having to muck my hand quickly!

Hand 3
The hand that I won my chips on was a crazy one. I limped in with 77 under the gun for 150. The Button raises 750, one of the looser played who had just lost half his stack with trip Q's and was steaming. Anyway, I wanted a raise when holding 77, to hit a set and bust someone, so I called the 750. Now when a under the gun limper calls a raise for 4 x the BB, its very suspicious. Although, I only had 77, I felt the whole table felt I hand AA or KK, including the button raiser. The flop was 885, a great flop for 77, or AA, or KK! I decided to check - raise, I'm sure that I am ahead, and I know that he will bet - why not? So, I tap the table and bets 2500, a big bet into a 1650 pot - this concerns me a bit, as he may be protecting 99, TT, JJ. I should probably lay my hand down now, that's seems too much of a big bet with AK, AQ, AJ. Hold on - I limped under the gun and smooth called his raise, he has 5,000 chips, I have 12,000 chips, there is 4150 in the middle, I announce ALL-IN, he takes ages, gives me the full rubdown and eventually shows me a T and passes??  I guess he had TT or AT, I felt full of confidence. It's not like me to take 3 levels to move all-in.

Level 4 100-200 'In the groove
I only played 3 hands this level but won every single one. I picked up KK but got no action. However, at the end of this level I had 24,000, up 7,500 and over double average for the field. The low number of hands was just due to the pots being raised by the time it got to me.

Hand 4
I raised 300 in mid position with 99 and was re-raised 1800 by the weakest player on the table, this guy had haemorrhaging chips by calling raises and passing on the flop, and raising himself and checking the flop. I thought about flat calling and betting the flop if no Ace or King came, but this system has been letting me down recently. Also, I had laid down 33 and 77 to re-raises this level already, and most of the time my pocket pairs are in front. I get a count, he has 4,000 chips, enough to pass if I move-all in, However, this guy will not pass, so I guess I can fold, lose the 300, or gamble on a 50:50 at best for 5500 chips to win 6,400. I announce ALL-IN, and he calls immedialty with AQ off suit. My pocket 99 hold up in front of the ESPN cameras and we're up to $24,000 chips.

Level 5 100 -200 + 25 Ante How do I get paid?
I had AA twice, KK twice, QQ, AK 3 times, hit a full house with my JJ on a KKJ flop and lost chips this level. I only won $1000 plus the blinds and antes with all these hands. I was playing so loose this level, I raised 5 hands on the trot with trash, got AA and they still all passed.  Eric Lingren had been knocked out with QQ v AA held by Paul Zimbler which allowed me to play more freely. I must have won 10 rounds of blinds and antes this level but blew them all away on this hand:

Hand 5
I called a raise with QcTc on the button, planning to do a Eric Lingren move on the raisor, who looked like he was petrified entering the pot. The flop came down KKT rainbow, he bets 1000, I smooth call, although I think I am ahead. The Turn comes a and he bets 1000, a weak bet or a milk bet, I re-raise him 4000 expecting to pick up the pot and this little, quiet, timid student looking individual says all-in! It will only cost me another 5000 to call, I have already put 6000 in, I've got a T with a Q kicker, what am I beating, what I am I drawing to? I have to pass but I'm still healthy at 26,000.

Level 6 150-300 + 25 Ante How do I get paid version2
890 players left out of 200. Average chips 21,000, I have 26,000. Playing to 650 players, I should make the next day. In this level I had AA twice again, KK, QQ, AK - all I won was the blinds and antes again. I'm feeling robbed by the Poker Gods. It seemed like every time I raised with average hands like J8s I got re-raised, and when I had the goods, nobody was interested. The last 2 levels have given me the best run of hole cards in my poker life, and my chip stack was the same. I started to feel frustrated, and wasted a few thousand chips calling raises out of position. I was hoping for a table move, as I got the feeling that some of the players were noticing I was playing a little too loose, and every time I raised, it took an age to get round the table! However, I managed to get lucky and hit a flush with 5h7h and ended the level with 28,000.

Level 7 200 - 400 + 50 Ante
We had been playing for over 10 hours and I was in good shape. I decided to slow down, look for a opportunity to take out a short stack, and try and stay away from any major pots, especially when I'm bluffing. I also thought that the table has started to view my raises with more and more suspician and I was getting re-raised more often (except when I had the goods). When I was on the button the BB was re-raising me and had taken a few thousand off me recently, I could just never find a hand on the button until..

My last WSOP Hand
I picked up AK on button and raise 1500. The small blind, a very tight player thinks for ages and then finally passes (he had TT) and the tricky player on the BB re-raises me 4500, surprise, surprise. Finally I have a hand to play back at him and I announce ALL-IN  and he call like a shot and flips over AA. I let out a cry of Oh my God and walk away from the table, the ESPN cameras rush over got the all-in but I don't even watch the flop, turn or river (the case Ace actually came on the turn). I feel sick inside, my stomach wrenches, my first thought is of quitting poker for ever, I pick up my stuff, shake hands with the table and walk quickly to the smoking area. Chubbs, Grumpy and follow me out, all I keep saying is, 'What are the odds of that, AK on the button, AA on the BB, what a joke, this game is a joke, I thought he was making a move on me, I can't believe it. Burnley John kindly points out that I could have flat called the 4,500 and passed on the flop (as the Ace does not come till the turn), I feel like telling him to XXXX, especially when he reminds me that you need patience, control and discipline to win a poker tournamant. I know people are only being helpful, but at the time

I went out 800th out of 2000 players. Nick went out shortly after me with A6 of an A 6 J flop, the guy hit a backdoor flush holding A9s, Nick's gutted. Everyone's gutted who went out. We all feel sick. Its like someone has kicked you in the XXXX repeatedly, or if you made a mistake (and maybe I did),  continued to kick you!
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2005, 07:16:44 PM »

DAY 26: Saturday 9th July  Homeward bound
Flights changed to this Sunday. I'm coming home. I feel mentally and physically drained. I'm $50,000 lighter in the pocket and am not sure what lies ahead for me in the poker arena, if anything. I have learnt so much here, I know I can mix it up with the best players in the world, but the facts speak for themselves, 11 events and only 1 place in the money. Maybe I should have come here and played a good solid game, I am sure my results would have been better (they couldn't be much worse!), but I tried every move in the book and left empty handed. The correct word is A FISH!

This journal has kept me company; I've never done one before. I'd like to thank everyone for all their nice comments. It's been an adventure, a long time away from home, my friends and my family.

Did I learn from the pros?      Definitely, more that I could every have hoped

Best Players I played with?      Bruno Fitussi and Eric Lingren   

Do I rate the WSOP & Rio?      No, WPT Bellagio is a different league

Favourite Moment:   Winning my table in the $2500 Shootout and Lawrence Gosney winning a Bracelet      

Worst Moment:   Hearing call when all-in with AK in $10K WSOP Main Event   
Best Laugh:            Simon 'Chubby Nowab doing press-ups in Rio bar

Saddest Moment:   Walking through Bad Beat Alley seeing players actually crying after being knocked out

Most Embarrassing Moment:   My room bill being put on stop when I had ordered room service for 7 people

Biggest Mistake:         Moving all-in with 72s with a re-raise and a flat call

Best Move:            Bluffing Bruno Fitussi all-in with on the turn

Liked The Most:         Witnessing some of the best players moves live

Disliked The Most:         The amount of chips you get in other WSOP events

Most Irritating:         The TIN number required to collect your winning

Overall, was it all worth it?       I don't know

Will I play here again?      I'm not sure

Did I enjoy myself here?      Sometimes

Am I skint?            Definitely, very

How do I feel now?         Tired, Dazed and Confused.

THE END

Cheers

Rob   

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

"Was it worth it?"  Yes Rob, it was, you cant buy memories like that

"Will I play here again?" I have a little 100 that says you will be back next year

I think I got more out of this journal than you did

Thank you

The older I get, the better I was.
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2005, 12:30:18 AM »

Rob, thank you for sharing your thoughts, emotions and insights.  It sounds to me like you held your own with the best in the world.

Well done and all the best for the future.

PS. Someone pick this guy up for a writing slot in poker please.  The best I've read about WSOP by far.

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
elblondie

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2005, 08:01:56 AM »

Thanks Rob...great reading.
I agree that its sad the Rio is not a patch on the WPT and isn't a patch on Binions either. They also deserve a good kicking for the ITIN fiasco. It makes european players lives a misery for no reason whatsoever.
Isn't it amazing that Eric Lindgren has done so badly this year? Every time I sit with him I am so impressed.

Anyways...I am getting some Blondepoker shirts printed up. They will be similar to the Full Tilt hockey shirts, but will have two numbers or letters on the back. Can I get you and Nick a couple ? What size are you both ? and what does Nick want on the back of his ? (I was going to put 7 2 on yours!)

i'll walk a million miles for one of your goals
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »

Nice read Rob.  Thoroughly enjoyed your posts. They inspired me to have a crack at a diary myself.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »

We got back today, Lawrence Gosney gave us a lift to airport, he still talks to us lesser mortals but he keep kissing his wrist every 2 minutes?

I've just read my journal and it all seems a long way away from where I am now, sitting in my conservatory.

I can't believe how many grammer and spelling mistakes are in it, I'll clean it up and keep it for posterity!

Cheers to all Blondites. See some of you at the $100 re-buy at Notts in a couple of weeks!

Cheers Rob

ericstoner

Winner of the Stars $200 sunday biggy, RU APAT Ire

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2005, 03:26:28 PM »

The last sentance says everything you need to know,about a real poker player. Smiley.
There's no mistaking were all in for the long term.
Great read Rob..........and good luck in the notts comp.

Blonde Hall of fame inductee,October 2007.
divaflava

WIP

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2005, 10:31:05 AM »

TTT - In case there's someone who hasn't read this masterpiece yet...

Now available in new improved post-rehab 'flava
goldgoat

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2005, 12:47:30 AM »

Great account of your trip Rob - haven't posted on the thread before but have thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I only started playing online a few months ago and had my own very low key trip to Vegas at the end of May - stayed in the Golden Nugget for a week and sat down with the locals and tourists for my first live poker experience. Had planned to play at Binions but to be honest didn't think it was that impressive (I'm sure it's different for the WSOP Final !). Came away a little bit ahead in cash and a long way ahead in experience! A slightly different level to the sort of money and game level you've been dealing in in Vegas, but the process is still the same i suppose!

Good luck with your next tournament ..... i'd imagine there's every chance you'll win it on the rebound!

PS For anyone else on the forum - i live in Reading; can anyone recommend the best places to play live in striking distance?
Cheers
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2005, 05:07:44 AM »

Dave - 72 suited would be better! Nick on plays AA so I'm not sure. I'm medium and he's prob large.

Thanks for all your nice comments everyone, I've still got jetlag, went to sleep 5pm last night, got up 3am. Still got the poker bug as I'm playing a STT on Party now!
Maroon

Utrinque Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2005, 11:02:01 AM »

Great to hear you're not put off the game.

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is.
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

Just spoke to Willy Tan, he is absolutley over the moon. What a popular result. Looking forward to "nipping him" for a few dollars when he gets back.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2005, 08:47:39 PM »

bump
richmagpies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2005, 09:01:18 PM »

Just read the whole thing - great writing Rob - not read such a refreshingly honest account for ages- seriously great. Definitely hope to read about your next WSOP visit! 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: