blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG  (Read 123893 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »

I'm yet to post on this thread, but I'd just like to say that, as someone who has never been to Vegas, I'm finding your reports pretty entertaining. Keep em up Rob.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2005, 02:47:33 PM »

agreed, what a great & unique pairing they'd make for any potential sponsor...they're at the right place to stumble across something.

gl today rob
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »

Me too! Chubby & Grumpy are bound to pick up some sponsorship soon, I hope so anyway, they are two great guys. I guess the sponsors are worried that the two boys come from Lancashire, not really known as a poker area. Has there ever been a good poker player from Lancashire?

Ed Burger - welcome to blonde! We have a Private Tourney on Thursday night, Crypto have added 500, & there is 100 on my head. It's a non-profit making thing (well, except for what I win...) for blonde, not some corporate do set up to get your dosh, so I hope you can join us, & meet some of the other guys & gals.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2005, 07:45:48 PM »

It's a non-profit making thing (well, except for what I win...)

I didn't realise there was a prize for the bubble  Cheesy

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »

Well thank you clever clogs.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »

Rob, is there any of "our guys" there tonight who could text me a few updates from the Omaha Final? Paul Maxfield is in it, we need to sweat him.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2005, 07:45:31 AM »

When people have been asking me questions on this tread I have been emailing them direct BUT Colchester Kev said I must post the answers on the thread for everyones information and to show that I am not ignoring people. Tikay, not sure about Paul Maxwell, just seen him at the bar with Surrinder on my way up to my room. I'll try and find out what happened after I've posted my journal for the day. I talked to min just before the final and he was in good spirits. Roy the Boy went out 20th to a flush draw FYI.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »

You are a STAR Rob.

What you doing Thursday night, 8pm English? We could use you & some of the boys playing in the Crypto sponsored Blonde Tourney. 20, no juice, 500 added by Crypto, 100 Bounty on me, & bragging rights galore. You need to decide in advance, as we have to issue entrants a password. I am sure guys like Kev will want to play in it.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2005, 09:02:04 AM »

Sat down to a tough table today, but only 240 runners, I had Daniel Negraneau to my right on the BB this time, and Daniel Alyai on my SB. The conversation on the table was about the number of entries in the main event, Negraneau said there was only 2600 confirmed even though the rumour mill is saying a full house - better get your ticket now! This was the TV table again and there was a microphone handing above the table and cameras from every angle. On hand 3 Negraneau slow played aces (he actually moaned to me when he was re-raised pre-flop with them as I had limped with 3s4s, something that wouldn't go down too well in the UK) and took down a massive pot. He moved all-in on the river and the guy passed QQ on a TJ46 board - great pass. I was wondering how Negraneau had managed to get all his chips in the middle with a 25-25 blind structure until the next hand when I got involved!

Hand 1: 2 limpers in the pot, I am in seat 4, I limp with ATc, the button puts in a small raise of $100 and 1 of the limpers calls, and I call. I make up my mind that if an Ace comes, I'll lay my hand down to a bet. I'm playing this hand to hit a Ten, 2 pair or a flush draw. The flop comes T 4 2 rainbow, limper checks, I bet $400, button flat calls and limper folds (now 1200 in pot). I put him on AA, TT, KT or 2 over cards (not 22,44 as I believe he would have tried to see a cheap flop, or JJ, QQ, KK as he would have -re-raised to protect his hand and build a pot). Turn comes, a lovely Ace, making me top 2 pair. I bet 1200 hoping that he had called with AQ, AK and hit his Acehe just flat calls, now I am confused as he looks very reluctant to call and not happy with the Ace. Anyway, I now think I am 100% ahead but don't know what he has, river comes a King. This is a bit of a scare card for me as he may have the AK so I decide to check to him and to my shock he moves all-in. he can't have had QJ for the straight, so what has he got?Huh? To call me will leave me with $1000 chips. I begin to doubt my reads, but if I was ahead on the turn he can only have AK or KK or QJ, I discount KK (why would he call 30% of his chips with the Ace on the turn) and QJ for obvious reasons. So, I need to put in $2,500 and there is there is over $6000 in the pot - over 2-1I call the bet and he flipps over KK!!!! He had called on the turn and hit his 2 outer on the river; I'm down to $1000 chips after 30 minutes!

Normally when this happens, I like to chuck all my chips in the middle and cross my fingers for a quick double up, but alas, this is pot limit so I can't even go on tilt, I'm trapped in a place I don't want to be! So, I have no option, I compose myself, put my shades on and spend the next 2 hours grinding in back to $3,500 when this hand developed:

Hand 2: Negraneau raised under the gun and gets 1 caller (he always gets callers). I look down and see JhTh on the button and call. Flop comes Kh5h8s, Negraneau checks and the other caller bets $700. I put him on KQ, KJ I am sure I can make him pass if a move all my chips in and I have the flush draw as backup. I'm not really worried about what Negraneau has, as he had checked even though he raised under the gun, even with AA he would have get to protect his hand against the flush draw, especially in pot limit. So, I re-raised with nearly all-in of chips and Negraneau thinks for ages and then just flat calls, the initial bettor folds, I chuck my remaining $400 in the pot and Negraneau matches it. He flips over his cards and says, I really hope you're on a flush draw!, he has Ah8h meaning I was dominated. To make matters worse, I hit my Jack flush and a runner runner straight but he made the Ace flush! Wow, Negraneau called 70% of his chips with the original bettor still to act who had more chips than him, I shook his hand but couldn't resist saying, how can you call with that hand with a man behind you who has you covered? He just winked and said gamble sometimes.

So, did I play badly today? If I had laid down ATc and ThJh pre-flop I may still be in, but then I would not have been involved in these interesting hands. I like to analyse my hands after I have been knocked out, please do not confuse this with replaying bad beat stories. I find the mathematical and psychological side of poker fascinating.but it would be nice to win a few of these big pots every now again!

On a positive note, Burnley John won the $500 freeze out at the Bellagio today, getting $10,000 on his first day in Vegas. He was all in pre-flop with AT v AQ (T on river), 66 V KK (6 on flop), TT v AA (Ten on river). Each time he outdrew someone Chubby and Kev were going crazy on the sidelines. The noise even made Doyle Brunson, Chip Reese  and Phil Ivey look across the room in between a $500K pot!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 09:04:42 AM by robyong » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2005, 09:17:57 AM »

Another terrific read from The Yongsta, & well done to Grumpy for taking the American's money back to Lancashire, top stuff!

Rob has a fascinating and intriguing way of articulating his thought process in big hands, & us regular guys would be idiots if we could not learn something from these. And I fancy Negranau groaned just a little to find himself next to our Rob once again, Rob has a very "in your face" attitude at the table, not to be confused with arrogance, it' just part of his arsenal.

In Amsterdam last year, he got heads-up with Marcel Luske in a satellite. Marcel is used to dominating the table, & there was Rob, feet on table, beer bottle in hand, ciggie in mouth, moving all-in blind hand after hand. I went up to him & said "careful Rob, do you know who that is?", he replied, "yeah, that's why I am doing it, to tlt him up". Tilt him up he did, & won the sat!

DTD-Nick.W

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »

Correct Again TK.

Robs reports just keep getting better, Maybee its because the distractions are still here in the uk!!!

Well done to Grumps lets hope the 2 Burnley boys manage to pull off a deal soooooooooon.

patman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »

This is priceless - to get a read on how he`s thinking and analysing the play as well as an honest appraisal of how he played post game.
besides actually playing in these games....dream on i couldnt buy this kind of experience/information....and it also shows that even the names dont always play by the odds/rules which gives us all hope.

keep it up and thanks for the time you take to do this....and i hope you pick up some cash...you deserve it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2005, 10:26:59 AM »

Here here patman. Rob is becoming our surprise package, a right little blonde hero. Money cant buy this kind of analysis.

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2005, 10:34:22 AM »

Unlucky rob, the KK hand is so bad its unbeliavable. How many mistakes can he make in one hand and still get your chips? Offer mine and wombles congratulations to burnley. Tell him to make sure theres some left for us as he carving every game up he sits in at the minute  Grin

ariston

better lucky than good
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2005, 06:00:54 AM »

Not a huge amount to report today. The $5000 PL is down to 3 tables, with Devilfish and Steve Liu both still in. Steve has a mountain of chips and looks set to reach the final following the form of his poker partner CT Law. Steve has had some pretty tough beats this week but he has enough chips to wait and prey on the short stacks that cannot damage him. I've played on the same table as Steve quite a few times and he is a real gentleman and one of the genuine nice guys on the circuit. I think that a lot of the dead money has dried up over here reflecting in the relatively low entry, 298, for this event, although I have spoken to a few Americans who say they do not like pot limit. I'm confident that the UK guys coming over will have no problem getting into the main event as the common theory around here is that it won't fill up until the final week when most of the satellites have finished. On my way down to the arena I met Baron from Blonde, and told him he should play the Palms $200 tonight, I saw him 1 hour after the event and he had KK cracked twice and was $400 dollars light. Tomorrow is the $1500 freeze out and I'm sure this will get above 1000 runners and the action will be crazy with everyone trying to double up early on even with 25-25 antes and a 75 minute clock. Its 10pm in Vegas and I'm getting an early night.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 06:04:37 AM by robyong » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: