blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY FIRST WSOP - BY ROB YONG  (Read 125467 times)
Sunday8pm

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »

Rob,

Firstly may i congratulate you on your successes so far

Your blog is perfect, the elite description of some of your experiences are, by far the best i have i have read on the web so far
The description you give paints a picture in your mind of whats its like to be out there DOING IT.

Im sure many blondeites will agree with me, the effort your putting into these posts will no doubt reward you some time in the future.

I know we dont know each other personally but i feel it is necessary to thank you for some very, honest, eye opening, fascinating and emotional content.

Once again good luck and keep those posts coming  Smiley

regards

Ben Mayhew
Nightfly

my decision is final!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »

Rob Yong is a poker superstar!

These reports are fantastic.

Tikay i hope that rob's journal, when finished, finds pride of place in the articles section. Where it more than deserves to be!

Good luck Rob in the rest of your WSOP comps.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2005, 01:54:53 AM »

I called this one ActionJack.

lmao
DTD-Nick.W

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2005, 02:38:47 AM »

dltto

happy_steve

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »

Just to back up what everyone else is saying Rob, absolutely fasinating reading. Best of luck.

robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2005, 11:36:49 AM »

hi there nick this is a personal message from simon using rob's computer we are missing you big boy can't wait for u big boy these guy's are boring can't wait for the real deal to come and show the way how the big boy's are while i am writing this personal message for u nick rob and john are having a personal discussion u know what i mean big boy can't wait for the real deal get here and let's go bungie jumping and roller coasting and go carting by the way nick john and rob are a bit paroniad and reading my post so they have decide to have a bet who beats each other in go carting like a last longer type bet but the situation is very interesting john and rob went out at the same time with 60 players left and they had last longer bet it was seconds between them going on and on john had short stack and rob was short stack both on big blind took a stand with ident6ical situation button raise and took a stand with kqsiuted(rob) kj suited (john) and me and kev are between the discussion my stand is that it took rob a little extra time to come to us because he had to get his handbag so it was a draw but will these guy listen so can't wait for u to come c u soon
DTD-Nick.W

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »

you lot better stop all that bickering b4 i get there
how did you get on in the tourney

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2005, 11:41:56 AM »

chubbs! 1 week to go cant wait. If they both went out at the same time its either a tie or give it to the man that got outdrawn. As they both went out with junk I think kev should win the last longer money  Grin

ariston

better lucky than good
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2005, 04:48:28 AM »

This was my sixth event at the WSOP event and my overall best performance so far until I managed to spunk my chips away (as Thewy would say). I played for 9 hours and went out 60th out of 400. I had been in great shape all day, I had 20,000 chips when the average was 5,000. Today saw the best aspects of my game, and also the worst. Here's a few hands I played that demonstrate this:

Hand 1(my best one play so far)
Blinds 50-100, I have 6000 chips, one of the full tilt pros came to my table and started raising every hand, betting the flop and running over the table. It was amazing to watch him double his chip stack from 4000 to 8000 in 45 minutes without a single showdown. Then I got a monster hand, 4d5d on the button. He limped under the gun, as usual, representing AA for the 100th time so I put in a small raise of 300 to disguise my baby connector. He called the raise but looked offended! I felt he had a small pair or suited cards. Flop comes 10d three diamonds, which gives me the flush draw. He checks, I bet 700, he calls, Turn comes a , he checks, I bet 1400 and he calls, whoops!. River comes , great if I had been betting with a legitimate raising hand like AdKd instead of 4d5d! I have invested 2400 of my stack in this pot; I still have 3600 left, enough to fight back. I've just made up my mind to check the river and muck my 5 high discreetly BUT he bets 1000 into the 5000 pot - this sends alarm bells ringing - why the hell would he do that? I have shown strength pre-flop, on the flop and turn - if he actually had the goods he would surely bet more and expect to get paid off. He must have put me on at least AQ. If he had an average hand such as KQ he would have checked. I look at him closely, behind the glasses and cap is weakness. I am now 75% confident that he was also on the flush draw and missed, so he going for a 5-1 shot (bet 1000 to win 5000) that I was betting on the come with a hand like KJ or Ax of diamonds! I want that pot and `I am not going to win it by calling with 5 high! On The Poker Channel, Hendon Mobster, Barney Boatman, says if a player takes a long time and then re-raises, he normally had a big hand, so I put a chip on my cards, wait a couple of minutes and re-raise all in for 3600 with 5 high - he immediately mucks his cards, phew. For that moment, that split second, that little piece of time, I felt like the best player in the WSOP arena. I wanted to show my bluff, I wanted the table to know what a great player I was, but I mucked wisely.

Hand 1 (Why get involved with 96s?)
Blinds 75-150. 20,000 chips, I feel good, well above average. 4 limpers and I have 9h6h on the button, I limp for 150. Flop comes , , . I have a middle pin straight flush draw (any 7 or heart). Under the gun bets 800, all pass to me and I-re-raise him - all in for his remaining 3000. I never stopped to think whether I thought he would pass or not. He shows 5c4c, 2 pair and I miss my draw. I was surprised by his hand as I thought he may limped in with an overpair, but I didn't expect him to pass, so why re-raise him on a semi-bluff, the only way I could win was to hit my flush or straight - which makes me an underdog - why make this move when I didn't think he would pass? Down to 15,000 chips.

Hand 2 (A bad call)
Blinds 75-150, Jon Shipley comes and sits down. He raises 1000 in seat 5 when I am on the button, and I re-raise him 3000 with AQs and he flat calls. I have seen him make this move on TV, he is going to push-all in on the flop if no ace comes and outplay me (effectively only giving me 3 cards to hit the flop making him a 66% favourite to win the hand unless I have an overpair), so I make my mind up I am calling whatever comes on the flop to counter his tactics. It comes K 4 5 rainbow. Surprise, surprise, he moves -all in for his last 2500 and I call like a shot - what a stupid play, I am only beating AJ or AT and I never even thought about it. I was more concerned about not being outplayed than my own hand strength. He turns over 99, no A or Q comes. I am down to 10,000 chips.

Hand 3 (losing my confidence)
Blinds 200-400. An unbelievably tight player limps for 400, I find QQ on the button, I raise 1400, he re-raises me 4000 reprenting AA or KK. He covers me in chips, but I can't believe this absolute rock would make risk limping with AA KK and losing to 72 off suit, most likely he has AK. But then, I have been raising limpers all afternoon on my button with any 2 cards to steal chips so maybe he is trapping me. I ask him if he has AA or KK and he goes a beetroot colour, I tell him I have a big hand and he look like he is going to explode. His hands are shaking with excitement that I am going to make him the 3rd person I double up in 30 minutes! I pass QQ pre-flop, yes Tikay, I pass QQ pre-flop. All the energy drains out of me, I have been outplayed by the rock! I can feel myself tiltingnow down to 9000 chips. I declare to the table that I am not passing to another re-raise today.

Hand 4 (why race?)
80 players left, I still have average chips, 10,000. I have 99 on the button, I raise 1000, BB re-raises 3000, he only had 2000 chips left, I re-raise him all in and he calls. He has AKs and hits his King. I knew I was 50:50 at best, so why not get away from the hand? Down to 500 chips. I just want to get my chips and gamble, I can feel the tilt.

Hand 5 (just gambling)
I have now doubled 3 people up in the last hour. I raise 1000 with KQ out of position and a new player to the table the same chips as me re-raises 3000, I dump my last 4000 chips in the middle hoping that he has JJ, TT, 99. He turns over JJ and no K or Q comes and I am out. By this time I am not even reading situations, just gambling.

Summary
I played a number of very good hands today as well to get myself in a strong position. The 9s6s draw I played sent me on the slippery road to doubling up 3 more players. Passing QQ was a great lay down, as the guy told me at the break that he had AA and had just limped because it was my button BUT this correct play actually sent me on more tilt, effectively searching for opportunuites to play 50 50 coin flips to try and get back my chips quickly. Poker is an amazing game - it brings out the worst and best in a person. The best players utilise and develop their best qualities and are able to suppress their demons. My demons are lack of patience, lack of disciple and stubbornness, until I can learn to control them, I will never move my game on. I'm going to speak to one or 2 of the more patient professional for some advice before the next tournament on Tuesday.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 08:39:13 AM by robyong » Logged
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2005, 04:54:07 AM »

I was looking at Simon Trumper's web site www.simonacestrumper.com and it is definately worth looking at if any blondites are looking for more information like the sort of stuff that I have been writing in my journal. He has over 70 threads with lots of stuff on tournamants and hand analysis etc and also an interesting story called the Tournamant Rollarcoaster which is a good read. Cheers Rob

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 04:55:46 AM by robyong » Logged
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2005, 08:29:18 AM »

It's the $5000 Omaha Buy-In today (and double top up!) today, everyone is talking about the real cost of this tournament and general consensus is that it will cost between $15,000 and $25,000 even for the averagely cautious player. I don't play Omaha anymore, even though I made the 2 finals last year, at the Vic and in Paris.  I find it easier to study 1 game and NL hold'em obviously first choice. I've spent the day on my own today, reading my Dan Harrington book, which is absolutely excellent by the way. I've also got the day off tomorrow so I'll take the opportunity to relax again. Realistically, for a stay of this long, a hotel room is not really suitable, the guys who hired apartments have got the right idea. When my partner in crime, Nick arrives on Thursday, I'll talk to him about maybe buying a place out here, you can still get something for just over 100k, and with the expenses etc of hotels, it will pay for itself and be a more confortable habitat. Average properties in Vegas have been increasing at 54% per annum for the last 5 years! If you want to play the 3 Bellagio tournaments, the WPT Mirage Showdown and the WSOP its works out at nearly 15 weeks in Vegas per year. America is really the place to play poker, its all about getting value for your expenses. For example, the recent Head-Up in Barcelona was effective 2 reasonable tournements (1000 and 2000)  with a combined prize pool of 400K over 9 days, its just not economical to play there in my opinion. In contrast, if you come to the Festa De Lago for 9 days, you can play 6 tournaments with a total prize pool of 10m, there is no comparison. My last thought of today is the contrasting styles of poker over here, you have the players who sit tight and wait for a double up, but are always average chips at best, or the very aggressive players who either get chips or bust out early. Poker theory says that the most proftable method of playing is the opposite of your opponents at the table, so surely super-aggressive is the way to approach the main event??? At least this way you can get enough chips to take a few bad beats or lost coin-flips against shorter stacks. Everyone I have spoken to is telling me how tight they are going to play, that's a lot of blinds and antes available for the aggressive players like Negraneau and Co.
The Truth

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2005, 08:44:36 AM »

I have been thinking for some time prior to thi years WSOP that the 'true champion' will be the winner of the $5000 Omaha. Wondered what others thought.

Keep up the fantastic work Rob. If only I had a budget I would be commissioning some articles from you after the WSOP.

Look forward to more instalments.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2005, 08:50:16 AM »

Ive read hundreds of articles about the wsop, and thousands about poker in general, Robs stuff is on par with the best of them.

The older I get, the better I was.
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2005, 09:22:42 AM »

two great posts rob,
be careful though, you'll be ruining that bad boy image of yours & coming across as a great thinker of the game.
cu on sunday
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2005, 01:25:46 PM »

This is sooooo good Rob.

But I must make one point. When you lose a "race" it don't make it a bad play. If you' have won, you would not give it another thought.

Its good - EXCELLENT in fact - to be self critical. It's counter productive if you beat yourself up about a play that did not work out.

Once the hand is over, it's history. Easy to say, mind.....

You have taken your game to a new level Rob, & your writing is a revelation.

On behalf of all Poker 425 & blonde viewers, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Your reports are the best coming out of Vegas by far.

Talking of which, slightly off topic, I have been appalled by the poor quality of Live Updates from Vegas. If blonde can't better that (starting next week) it's time to pack up.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: