blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  laptop help....plzzz...techies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: laptop help....plzzz...techies  (Read 3475 times)
paulpitchford

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »

WinKey + L. Lock your computer...

It can only extract them because you're logged into your account.

Oh I'm aware of that. There isn't a windows password I can't change given 5 minutes with your computer Wink

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

Yeah, but changing the password outside of windows means the password won't decrypt the passwords...

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »

What happens if you're showing someone something on your laptop and have to leave the room. Would be nice if you could be confident you could leave them with your computer and browser without having to lock your computer completely?

Or, a lot of people use computers that other people administrate. In that case there might be many occasions when they have to leave their machine logged in whilst they are absent.

It's such a simple thing for Google to add, giving the user another level of basic, low-level security. But something they refuse to do. Which is one of the reasons why I refuse to use Chrome as my main browser.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

Or, you could use Chrome and just NOT save your passwords.

Can't be hacked that way Wink
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

I've reset ie8 to default....still the same problem

So I got chrome....magic....working ok..

But Sheeet,u guys r scaring me....lol

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 02:33:41 AM »

Could do, hope you're not going to be using the same password on all those different sites just so you can remember the password for all of them...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

I use Roboform for password storage.  Runs across the various browsers.  Also fills forms with your details to save you typing all that crap...  I have loads and loads of passwords I dont need to remember, just one master password.  When you are creating an acct on a website, roboform will also create random passwords so therefore, if someone manages to get one of your passwords, they cant just go mad on every website because they are all different..

Its Brill..!!
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »

Could do, hope you're not going to be using the same password on all those different sites just so you can remember the password for all of them...

Nope, that would be stupid.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

What happens if you're showing someone something on your laptop and have to leave the room. Would be nice if you could be confident you could leave them with your computer and browser without having to lock your computer completely?

Or, a lot of people use computers that other people administrate. In that case there might be many occasions when they have to leave their machine logged in whilst they are absent.

It's such a simple thing for Google to add, giving the user another level of basic, low-level security. But something they refuse to do. Which is one of the reasons why I refuse to use Chrome as my main browser.

I don't see how the password helps in either of those situations.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

?

You leave your computer and can leave someone on your browser, but they can't log in to any of the sites you use without your master password.  Neither are they three clicks away from being able to see all your passwords in plain text (as in Chrome).  Simple really, what don't you get?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »

I use Roboform for password storage.  Runs across the various browsers.  Also fills forms with your details to save you typing all that crap...  I have loads and loads of passwords I dont need to remember, just one master password.  When you are creating an acct on a website, roboform will also create random passwords so therefore, if someone manages to get one of your passwords, they cant just go mad on every website because they are all different..

Its Brill..!!

That's what FF does natively.

paulpitchford

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »

Seriously,

As long as you can log into the user's windows account, or already be logged into it, some of this software basically lists your sites and passwords like so:

SiteUsernamePassword
Site1.com/loginmyusernamemypassword
Site2.com/loginmyusernamemypassword
Site3.com/loginmyusernamemypassword

If the browser natively has a master password which acts as a salt for the cypher, the passwords are unattainable. What Kinboshi is pointing out is that, it doesn't matter how you access the users windows account, you need the master password for FireFox to be able to access the passwords for the stored sites.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:28:34 PM by paulpitchford » Logged

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »

I know what he's saying, but if someone wants to steal your passwords would you really want them on your computer at all? If someone has admin access to your PC and wants your passwords do you think firefox is any safer?

It might stop your mates getting your passwords for japes but I don't see it has any serious security benefit.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »

I know what he's saying, but if someone wants to steal your passwords would you really want them on your computer at all? If someone has admin access to your PC and wants your passwords do you think firefox is any safer?

I could give you admin access to my PC, you still won't be able to get my passwords held in FF.

It might stop your mates getting your passwords for japes but I don't see it has any serious security benefit.

I've said it before, if someone REALLY wants to hack into your computer to access your details, they can given the resources and time. 

I'm talking about preventing family, friends, colleagues, etc., being able to quickly jump on your browser and access your accounts for web-mail, facebook, twitter, amazon, ebay, etc., with no effort.  It also helps stop someone who's got remote access to your computer (for whatever reason).  Or if you take your computer to be repaired, or if you need someone to log in to your computer and find something when you're not there - you can get them to do that without being worried if they're going to have a little pry out of curiosity. Do you know who might steal your passwords?  Never misjudged a 'friend' who you thought you could trust?  What about someone doing it for a practical joke - still a pain in the proverbial.

It's the same as locking your front door or the doors to your car.  If someone REALLY wants to, they can get in.  But they'll have to make some effort, and you'll probably be aware that someone's made a forced entry.  If you're using Chrome and I jump on your computer, I can access your saved passwords in seconds, then be off again and you won't even know.  Why not eliminate this threat with a simple master password for your browser?

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

Turns out my lappy is also painfully slow due to malware...an application name iwongie is eating up the resources....and is very difficult to get rid of....thinking of a factory reset...

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: