blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Late Night Poker final tonight, Ch 4 12.55am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Late Night Poker final tonight, Ch 4 12.55am  (Read 9926 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »

Off the back of that, if you were to ask me Coral's financial logic in spending all that money on the Show - let's call it 7 figues - I'd be lost for the answer. It's a pretty small room. As in pretty, but small. No way on God's earth could it have achieved payback on LNP.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »

of course I'd be shocked if they spent 7 figures on it, the state of the market isn't what it was post US lockout and BF/FTP etc, but there are a lot of good reasons why an ipoker skin might want to spend a great amount of money on the right kind of sponsorship, particularly in an institution like LNP.

There are some other reasons that might mean this kind of advertising as a non-standalone room don't make sense at all (and why you rarely see it!) and it's based on the idea that it's incred hard to see a return on your investment in such a big campaign when there are so many skins that don't contribute to the network.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13:16 AM »

They do a decent job imo, but the 1st ep of the final was pretty tilting that every single play was described as "great" when most where just pretty standard spots. I don't think any poker show would work on mainstream tv if it was just two good poker players discussing hands and theory, it wouldn't work.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »

Gabe and AJ - 10/10
Nick and Liv - 9/10

Vicky and James 1/10

Will still watch it to see how some of my close personal friends get on.

Nick and Liv - 9/10 ? How? He is one of, if not the, most annoying people on TV, and she's desperately dull (pretty yes, but dull)

Vicky and James 1/10? That must be a big negative score for James, Vicky Coren is the bees knees. She may not do great poker analysis, but she is at least interesting and funny.

Nick is an absolute hero, you're the first person i've met to say otherwise. Liv is alright.

Vicky is the bees knees [ ], interesting [ ], funny [ ].

This may be an age thing... I guess he may appeal to the Nuts/Zoo readers

Have you seen any of Vicky's other work? Only Connect is one of the more thoughtful quiz/game shows on offer these days, and she's always good value on the various panel shows. Her book about her life in and out of poker and that EPT win is a really good read too.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »

I'm a fan of all vicky's work as she is super intelligent and super attractive. Pha may not be up to speed but she has all the appeal I require. Horses for courses

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »

[/quote]

Have you seen any of Vicky's other work? Only Connect is one of the more thoughtful quiz/game shows on offer these days, and she's always good value on the various panel shows. Her book about her life in and out of poker and that EPT win is a really good read too.
[/quote]

The bolded part comes across as pretty patronising to be honest.  To suggest that Nick's witty, occasionally dry and always very original style mirrors the base, cheap laughs dross printed in Nuts or Zoo does him an immense disservice.  Maybe some people just need to lighten up a bit.  He is very talented.  In my opinion of course.  I only buy Nuts for the tits.

No one has questioned Vicky's talent in general, only in LNP where it has to be said that she struggles quite badly. 

In my eyes, poker commentary should include a team of 2; a high level thinker with a good understanding of concepts and plays, and a lay person with an ability to translate these occasionally complex ideas into words understandable to the average Joe.  Vicky does not fit into either of these categories unfortunately.

She is fit though.

Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »

Quality quoting tekkers as per...
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »

Quality quoting tekkers as per...

enjoyed this though

I only buy Nuts for the tits.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »

Without doubt the highlight for me of this LNP series has been watching the online qualifer Mr Okell, who had barely ever played live - let alone ending up on TV for one of his first encounters with the (non-virtual) green baize.

Watching the poor sod's trauma and pain - as he's wrestled with decisions - when 'put to the test' by the relaxed pros has been rivetting.

When he had A 9 in the BB to a shove, he grimmaced , he tanked, he grimmaced     ...    and eventually called, successfully.

The 'sniffy comments' and bemusement of his fellow players/commentary team over, "what was he waiting for?" made me laugh.

The very people who get pompous over some poor rookie lad's dwelling in the biggest tourny of his life     .....        are often those who've had/still require staking in their poker careers.

Gripping stuff watching his emotions & facial expressions as he - very visibly - computes what to do in situations that are to many "auto call" situations.

I'll bet that many of those that have smirked at his pain swear at learner drivers too      .......

Not having looked up the result on THM, gl Mr Okell.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:56:14 PM by luther101 » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »

[/quote]

The bolded part comes across as pretty patronising to be honest.  To suggest that Nick's witty, occasionally dry and always very original style mirrors the base, cheap laughs dross printed in Nuts or Zoo does him an immense disservice.  Maybe some people just need to lighten up a bit.  He is very talented.  In my opinion of course.  I only buy Nuts for the tits.

No one has questioned Vicky's talent in general, only in LNP where it has to be said that she struggles quite badly. 

In my eyes, poker commentary should include a team of 2; a high level thinker with a good understanding of concepts and plays, and a lay person with an ability to translate these occasionally complex ideas into words understandable to the average Joe.  Vicky does not fit into either of these categories unfortunately.

She is fit though.

[/quote]

Talking of "pretty patronising" comments......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »

Ha.  I'm sure she'd take it as a compliment.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

[/quote]

She is fit though.

[/quote]

If that was patronising then I withdraw it.
It doesn't alter my view of the presentational style of Mr Wealthall though. Witty and dry? Really? Maybe I should stop fastforwarding through the 'felt fact breaks'

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »

You don't know Vicky, I assume?

Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »

No but should our paths cross i'd like to think that she'd be tolerant of my point of view and be able to take a compliment.
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »

You don't know Vicky, I assume?
Lol. I was sat on a table of sharks including Neil Channing at the irish open when she came over to tell him of her demise in level 2 and wondering what the hell she was gonna do in Dublin for the next few days.
[ ] suggesting playing the ladies side event went down well with her
[X] made everyone else laugh

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: