blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 05:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272978 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Luton 2012 thread, powered by the same old 3-4 posters
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 120 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luton 2012 thread, powered by the same old 3-4 posters  (Read 219407 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »

Most of those than favour a 'quicker comp' tend to be the tardiest to ever get their chips in     ....

This is just so wrong Paul. Shows a real flaw in your understanding of tournament poker if you truly believe this.

So much comedy in this thread today.

New structures are fine. Forces people to make mistakes. Which is what we want, right?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

In the long run.. comps like this would favour people like Alex Martin is what I'm thinking - a better, active player.

Reason being is that he aint waiting for hands and people like he'm with a better understanding in a theory sense are going to get their shoving / calling ranges more correct than someone like Chinese George - thelong run may not exist in live poker but I think I'm right in theory

More or less spot on Glenda.

luther101

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »

There you go       .....      a guarantee and an 'unfashionably long' 25 min clock over at Dunstable;

Friday 3rd February
£1500 Prize Pool Guaranteed
£30 + £3 No Limit Holdem Freezeout
8k Chips, 25 Min Clock, 8pm Start

Alternates & 1 Re-Entry Available in First 4 Levels
Early Bird Bonus - Register Before 7:45pm for 1,000 Free Bonus Chips
Dealer Bonus - 2,000 Bonus Chips for an additional £2 Charge

Or;

Big stack & guarantee down @ The Western

8:30pm
£3000 GUARANTEED!!!!
£1150 GUARANTEED TO THE WINNER!!!!!
£53 12.5k chips (+optional £10 for 7.5k bonus chips)
Plus a chance to win a seat in to our £15,000 Spring Guarantee!!!
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

So how is that better than a 5k gtd comp at the G?

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »

In the long run.. comps like this would favour people like Alex Martin is what I'm thinking - a better, active player.

Reason being is that he aint waiting for hands and people like he'm with a better understanding in a theory sense are going to get their shoving / calling ranges more correct than someone like Chinese George - thelong run may not exist in live poker but I think I'm right in theory

And how many 'budding Alex Martins' are present @ the G most nights, Glen?

Bar Vinny, there's hardly a horde of active players let loose every night.

Just wait till you're stuck on a table with a bunch of Ponderers ("cos that's what they do on the telly") - and see how you like 6/8 hands per rapidly increasing levels!

Just saying    .....

Drain Alien
*** Drainy ***

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

New structures are fine.
[/quote]

Disagree taxi-boy.
20 min bingo is proper shite (imo)
Tiz a shamus maximus, I enjoyed a piss up poker at the G.

Tighty - 8th September 2015 - Oh FFS Drainy is back !!!!!!
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »

I thought it played ok....

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

Just wait till you're stuck on a table with a bunch of Ponderers ("cos that's what they do on the telly") - and see how you like 6/8 hands per rapidly increasing levels!

Just saying    .....

It's a fair point. Especially about people taking an age over every decision. I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight, see how tilted I get by the people and go from there.

sola virtus nobilitat
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »

Just saying    .....

It's a fair point. Especially about people taking an age over every decision. I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight, see how tilted I get by the people and go from there.

Maybe the new structures will breed more Alex Martin types.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Drain Alien
*** Drainy ***

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »

I thought it played ok....

Yeah, clearly the new structure suits the fish.
Bush-boy. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:26:42 PM by Drain Alien » Logged

Drain Alien
*** Drainy ***

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you George Cameron....(good luck!)

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 03, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

In all seriousness, here's my take:

Slightly longer clock and take out a couple of levels or shorten the stacks -v- shorter clock and all the levels... I don't really think it makes THAT much difference which way.  I will play either when I feel like it (in before "not very often")

Last night I saw someone open-ship 24k @200/400 with A8 whilst others would get it all in with QT on a T-8-5 flop whether they had 2k chips or 200k chips.  That makes more difference than 5 mins on the clock.  There are always going to be shockingly bad players up there (both too tight and too loose) that don't make proper adjustments to the published structure.  Any structure that gets 70+ through the door is arguably a good structure, even if it is one that doesn't suit your playing style.

The antes were a bit better last night, slightly larger through the levels.  I think so many seem pre-occupied with the clock that they overlook the difference good antes make.

With 600k chips in play and weak antes, you end up getting down to 20 players having 30k each @1500/3000 and it gets called a crap-shoot.

With 600k in play and strong antes, you end up getting down to 10 players having 60k each @1500/3000 and there is some play left in that.

100-200r25
150-300r50
200-400r50
300-600r75
400-800r100
600-1200r100
800-1600r200
1k-2k r300
1500-3000r500

Would be a lot stronger than previously used, would force the nits to play, reward the duckers and divers appropriately and create decent avBB stacks at the business end.

relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »

There's 90 minutes before you get to the 20 minute levels, plus once reaching the final table, you get 30 minute levels once more.

Ultimately, there comes a stage in tournament poker where something has to give. It was our desire that, by implementing this change, it would stop the final tables becoming crap shoots with average stacks under 10bb.

I suggest a little forbearance as these structures play out. If a problem exists, it can be rectified.

Sure, other places might have a 25 minute clock. We also play a lot more levels than most clubs, so it balances itself out over the course of the evening. It's an extra level in every 2 hours. It is not a huge increase by any stretch.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 03, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »

Forbearance ftw!

luther101

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »

Just saying    .....

Maybe the new structures will breed more Alex Martin types.

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's only a year and a half since the Cardroom was run for Kalam's ("Let's go home as quick as possible") benefit - levels taken out, clock speeded up.

The punters voted with their feet and Tumbleweeds blew through an empty room.

Yup, let's go back to two table tournies, and cash tables on a Friday and Saturday only       .....         how long will the guarantees last for then?

What short memories many of you have got!

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 120 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: