blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:49:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960858 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: August 23, 2015, 11:33:18 PM »

The transfer fee is usually the same amount as the purchase fee, so it would be easier and cheaper to just buy them.

It's a solid price for Encore imo and I really liked staying there, quality hotel.  Encore and Wynn don't really go rate chasing though, they just set their stall out and that's that, so deals are rare and usually somewhere else will court my custom far more readily.  So I usually end up putting Encore on the short list and then ending up staying somewhere else for the price differential.  I certainly don't think you are getting a bad deal, ~ rare to see < £100/night average on a 2week stay.

I don't shop at Tescos either!  But I do try and put petrol in there and also my energy supplier gives Tesco points... somehow with that a few thousand miles keep dropping in to my account which definitely adds up over the year.

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

The transfer fee is usually the same amount as the purchase fee, so it would be easier and cheaper to just buy them.

It's a solid price for Encore imo and I really liked staying there, quality hotel.  Encore and Wynn don't really go rate chasing though, they just set their stall out and that's that, so deals are rare and usually somewhere else will court my custom far more readily.  So I usually end up putting Encore on the short list and then ending up staying somewhere else for the price differential.  I certainly don't think you are getting a bad deal, ~ rare to see < £100/night average on a 2week stay.

I don't shop at Tescos either!  But I do try and put petrol in there and also my energy supplier gives Tesco points... somehow with that a few thousand miles keep dropping in to my account which definitely adds up over the year.

The cost to transfer is now cheaper than the cost to purchase.  Buying 17,000 points is £285.  Transfer cost for the same 17,000 is only £142.50.  I think it used to be the same, but they've changed it.  It's only worth someone selling their points if they know they're not going to use them. 
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: August 24, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »

Ahh good to know ty.  Yes makes sense to hoover up unwanted miles now then

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: August 24, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »

www.lowcostholidays.com are currently doing the Encore for £109 per night inc breakfast.  Plus if you spend more than £900 on your hotel booking you can use voucher code SUM16 to get a further £60 off.  That Encore price includes breakfast, which is a $35 per person per night credit that can be used at loads of places in Wynn/Encore at Breakfast or Lunch.  That itself is worth £45 per day, so that £109 per night rate is a massive bargain!  I just booked 14 nights inc breakfast at Encore for £1462 from 23rd June 2016.  You can only find the rate via a Trivago search!  Then you click on View All Deals to find it.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:14:17 PM by MLHMLH » Logged
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »

Nice find and thanks for sharing.  Definitely one of the best places to stay.

I had a little click around on the site... quite liked the option to "upgrade to room only for only £6.07 per night"

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: August 24, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »

Nice find and thanks for sharing.  Definitely one of the best places to stay.

I had a little click around on the site... quite liked the option to "upgrade to room only for only £6.07 per night"

Forgot to say that the £60 off is only available until midnight tonight!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: August 24, 2015, 06:07:07 PM »

www.lowcostholidays.com are currently doing the Encore for £109 per night inc breakfast.  Plus if you spend more than £900 on your hotel booking you can use voucher code SUM16 to get a further £60 off.  That Encore price includes breakfast, which is a $35 per person per night credit that can be used at loads of places in Wynn/Encore at Breakfast or Lunch.  That itself is worth £45 per day, so that £109 per night rate is a massive bargain!  I just booked 14 nights inc breakfast at Encore for £1462 from 23rd June 2016.  You can only find the rate via a Trivago search!  Then you click on View All Deals to find it.

That is superb. Love Wynncore, and I wish I could book that far in advance nowadays :/

Thought I had a few thousand miles, but just checked and they're not there now, sorry.

MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: August 24, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »

www.lowcostholidays.com are currently doing the Encore for £109 per night inc breakfast.  Plus if you spend more than £900 on your hotel booking you can use voucher code SUM16 to get a further £60 off.  That Encore price includes breakfast, which is a $35 per person per night credit that can be used at loads of places in Wynn/Encore at Breakfast or Lunch.  That itself is worth £45 per day, so that £109 per night rate is a massive bargain!  I just booked 14 nights inc breakfast at Encore for £1462 from 23rd June 2016.  You can only find the rate via a Trivago search!  Then you click on View All Deals to find it.

That is superb. Love Wynncore, and I wish I could book that far in advance nowadays :/

Thought I had a few thousand miles, but just checked and they're not there now, sorry.

No worries, thanks for checking
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3353 on: August 25, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »

Well spotted, although can't find it any more Sad I'm looking at November though so might be a bit far out yet for bargain prices. Am out Thanksgiving week which i'm led to believe is a quiet period so should be some good deals about?

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »

Well spotted, although can't find it any more Sad I'm looking at November though so might be a bit far out yet for bargain prices. Am out Thanksgiving week which i'm led to believe is a quiet period so should be some good deals about?

It looks like the Low Cost Holidays offer has gone unfortunately. Keep checking Trivago for your dates as prices change daily. Also try www.lowcostusa.co.uk and www.smartervegas.com
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: August 25, 2015, 11:53:34 PM »

Not directly Vegas related but anyone here a member of BA's executive club?

It's the tier thing that is puzzling me. I've gone straight into bronze tier after joining the other week (I could backdate my LV trip from May/June for a bunch of points). I'm now more than halfway to silver, and I have another LV trip booked in January for a few more points. I basically have a year to make silver tier before my points reset, am I right in thinking if I make silver before September next year then I'll be in silver forever? It isn't very clear on the BA website but I've read it that once you make a certain tier, then that's your minimum tier?

This won't make sense to most people! But if anyone in the executive club can shed any light I'd be most grateful. I might go slightly out of my way to make Silver if I get the answer I'd like Smiley

Edit, found a bit more info on a flight forum, seems you get relegated if you don't get enough points every year, so I might as well enjoy the bronze perks whilst I have them Wink
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:03:54 AM by hhyftrftdr » Logged

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: August 26, 2015, 01:18:49 AM »

Whilst I'm here, might as well make myself useful.

Looking ahead to next summer, there are some cracking return prices in both PE and biz out of Dublin at the end of May and into June; £652 for premium economy return on VA and £1137 for biz return using BA for the short haul legs and VA for long haul.

Sample itinerary.....Tuesday 24th May - Friday 3rd, return Biz flights and 9 nights in TI (Note its 9 not 10 nights as the flight going out does a night in London so factor in a hotel/kipping on a mates couch on the 24th!) would be £2274 for flights and £515 for hotel so ~ £1400pp give or take, or £900pp using the PE cabin.

Best Bitter.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: September 05, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »

Thought this might be useful to some, lifted from an excellent frequent travel blog:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/09/05/virgin-flying-club-credit-card-bonus/

Virgin Atlantic has boosted the sign-up bonus on its credit cards again.  This is not entirely surprising given that British Airways increased the bonus on its cards recently.

This new offer is as high as the sign-up offer on the Virgin cards has ever been.

Here is a quick overview of the Virgin credit cards. If some of the text sounds familiar, it is because I have cut and pasted some of it from the last Virgin promotion!

Virgin Flying Club offer two different credit card options. There is a free ‘White’ card and a £140 fee ‘Black’ card. Each comes in the standard MBNA double-pack of an American Express and a Visa.

Unlike the British Airways American Express cards, MBNA is happy for you to have BOTH of the Virgin cards. Whilst I would not recommend this, I know that some HFP readers in the past have applied for both at the same time and received both. This does put you under some pressure to hit the spending targets on both cards at the same time.

The free card is the Virgin Atlantic White Credit Card.

There is NO annual fee with this card, and the sign up bonus is 10,000 Virgin Flying Club miles. The usual bonus is just 3,000 miles and it never goes above 10,000 miles so this is as good as it gets.

You will receive 3,000 miles immediately and a further 7,000 miles when you spend just £1,000 in the first 90 days. Should you decide to keep the card, you will earn 1 mile per £1 spent on the Amex and 0.5 miles per £1 spent on the Visa.

My full review of Virgin White is here. The application page is here.

The representative APR of the card is 17.9% variable.

Virgin credit card bonus

The more generous fee-carrying card is the Virgin Atlantic Black Credit Card.

This card comes with an annual fee of £140, with a sign-up bonus of 32,000 Virgin Flying Club miles. The standard offer on this card was recently increased to 18,500 miles, so the additional bonus is 13,500.

You will receive 18,500 miles with your first purchase and a further 13,500 miles when you spend £3,000 in the first 90 days.

The earnings rate for the Black card is EXCELLENT. You earn 2 miles per £1 on the American Express and a whopping (compared to the competition) 1 mile per £1 on the Visa.

My full review of Virgin Black is here. The application page is here.

The representative APR of the card is 52.0% variable including the fee, assuming a £1200 credit limit.  The annual fee is £140.

And vouchers too ….

There are also two long-term incentives available with the Virgin cards. The White card offers an upgrade voucher (from Economy to Premium Economy only) for a miles redemption when you spend £10,000, and a second at £20,000. The Black card offers the same vouchers at £5,000 and £10,000.

Both cards also offer what I consider a worthless incentive – a voucher at £15,000 (White) or £7,500 (Black) for a free companion seat – excluding heavy taxes – when you buy a flexible ticket in any class.  This is likely to require you to buy a ticket which is usually hundreds of pounds more expensive than the cheapest ticket available for sale and is likely to be more expensive than buying two discounted tickets in the first place.

More information on these can be found in the reviews which I link to above.

Terms & Conditions

The key facts you need to remember before you apply are:

The application deadline is 27th October and you have 90 days from application to achieve the £1,000 / £3,000 target

MBNA does NOT offer a pro-rata refund when you cancel your card. Your £140 fee for the Black card is a sunk cost. You are therefore (effectively) paying £140 for the additional 22,000 miles on the Black card, since you could get 10,000 miles for £nothing by getting the White card instead.

You CANNOT combine this offer with the ‘refer a friend’ bonus I normally offer, which would have got you an additional 3,000 miles. However, this is still a far better deal than the usual bonus even without the additional 3,000.

How can you earn more miles?

It is very easy to earn further Virgin Flying Club miles to top up your account. The options are numerous:

Transfers from Tesco Clubcard (at a higher rate than BA, £2.50 = 625 Flying Club miles)

Transfers from American Express Membership Rewards (1:1) – transfers from Amex to Virgin are instantaneous as well, once your accounts are linked, unlike transfers to BA

Transfers from Heathrow Rewards (1:1)

Transfers from most hotel programmes, including Starwood Preferred Guest

There are also some hotels which credit to Virgin even though they do not credit to Avios

Car rentals – Virgin offers a generous 1,000 miles per Hertz rental for example

Receive 5,000 Virgin miles for taking out a Virgin Money ISA

Receive 3,000 Virgin miles with your first order from Virgin Wines

The ‘1 mile per £1′ rate on the Black Visa also allows you to run up miles very quickly

It is also worth remembering that you can transfer Virgin Flying Club miles into Hilton HHonors points (at 2:3) and IHG Rewards Club points (at 1:1). Getting one of these cards may be a way of giving your Hilton or IHG account a boost.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3358 on: September 06, 2015, 11:53:24 PM »

There is also an Amex Gold "chargecard" that awards a 20k points bonus that can be converted to various different airline schemes. 1st year free when should be £140 so can cancel after a year and rejoin to claim bonus again 6 months later.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: September 07, 2015, 07:20:20 AM »

What's the cheapest hotel mid strip these days now the imperial palace has been done up and changed name? Might do a side trip from work 10th Oct for 4 or 5 days but I'm slightly averse for paying more than about 50 quid for a room I'm only ever going to sleep in. Can't seem to find much below that figure, I guess us hotel nits are being priced out of that area   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:26:18 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: