blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Next Fantasy League?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next Fantasy League?  (Read 3174 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »

After the Cheltenham Fantasy League, I wrote to MereSpreadsheet & thanked him, & asked if he minded doing a few more of these, as & when, as it semed to work rather well, & he makes a comically firm but fair, if pedantic, organiser of these things.

He readily agreed, he enjoyed it, but he was keen not to give the impression that he was muscling on in the concept. He is not.

So, suggestions for the next one, please?

The next two big sporting events are The Masters Golf - 2 weeks Thursday - followed a week later by the Grand National, & the 3 day (?) horse racing festival that goes with it.

Any interest in either, or alternatives?

A Masters Golf Fantasy Punting League, where we all have a mythical £100 or whatever to invest howsoever we wish might be fun, or some better alternative?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Linux
lol pwnd

I am dexter in disguise...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »

The Euros will be good in a few months.

A 1st goal scorer in each game would be great fun.

7 seasons, 1 Promotion, 2 relegations, 3 play off exits, 1 play off bubble, 25 points deducted.
we are leeds and we are back.  https://twitter.com/jpmood
 Click to see full-size image.
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

In for any of these - great fun Masters would be fun, could just group players by world ranking into say 6 groups - stable of one from each group, award points for overall finish, sub par rounds, hole in one. Would be great. Or could do in groups like WSOP one e.g. Old Timers, Yound Brits (Luke, Rory, etc), Class of the 90s (Ernie, Retief)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »

sounds excellent idea

especially for the masters
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »

Aintree and The Masters sound like fun, and great news that Mere is happy to run these.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

Aintree and The Masters sound like fun, and great news that Mere is happy to run these.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

The less skill required the better,
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

Well let's firstly focus on The Masters.

Ideas, proposals, suggestions, entry fee (if any), etc?

No good expecting Mere to know what the format is, he knows nothing about golf. In fact, he knows bugger all about bugger all, imo, & what he knows about spreadsheets I taught him.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »

Could do picks for each day, overall picks, amateur pick, par 3 comp winner, top European, top USAean, Top RoWean, number of holes in one.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »

No good expecting Mere to know what the format is, he knows nothing about golf. In fact, he knows bugger all about bugger all, imo, & what he knows about spreadsheets I taught him.

If you wanted a format that gave you a few different markets to pick from in the Masters instead of just the simple outright you could have something like a selection from each category below with a stake on each as we did with the Cheltenham comp.

Top US player
Top British Isle player
Top Continental Europe player
Top Aussie
Top Asian
Top South African
Top Debutant
Top senior player
Leader after round 1

There will be more too, the prob with doing that format is you probably can't also do the outright winner as a category as if you pick the say, Matt Kuchar to be top US and the winner then you get two lots of points for what is basically the same result if he wins the event. The good thing about splitting it that way is that there will be markets available on all those lists so even if you don't really follow golf but fancy a go you can see by the markets how strong each player is expected to be in each list.

Splitting the field into groups and picking one from each group with a scoring system is ok too but I think it's more fun when the odds are taken into account.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

If you wanted a format that gave you a few different markets to pick from in the Masters instead of just the simple outright you could have something like a selection from each category below with a stake on each as we did with the Cheltenham comp.

Top US player
Top British Isle player
Top Aussie
Top Asian
Top South African
Top Debutant
Top senior player
Leader after round 1

There will be more too, the prob with doing that format is you probably can't also do the outright winner as a category as if you pick the say, Matt Kuchar to be top US and the winner then you get two lots of points for what is basically the same result if he wins the event. The good thing about splitting it that way is that there will be markets available on all those lists so even if you don't really follow golf but fancy a go you can see by the markets how strong each player is expected to be in each list.

Splitting the field into groups and picking one from each group with a scoring system is ok too but I think it's more fun when the odds are taken into account.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

"Top US player
Top British Isle player
Top Aussie
Top Asian
Top South African
Top Debutant
Top senior player
Leader after round 1"

looks ideal
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

MereNovice
Gamesmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »

That's effectively a double negative. Taken literally it seems to imply that I know something about nearly everything. Even with my over-inflated sense of self-importance, I couldn't claim that to be true. You're really too kind.

Reigning Blonde Fantasy Ashes and Super League Champions
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

Top US player
Top British Isle player
Top Aussie
Top Asian
Top South African
Top Debutant
Top senior player
Leader after round 1

Are we all, or mostly, settled on that Format, as suggested by Bobby?

If so, we need to build some rules.

Do we all have to make a selection in EVERY category?

Can we omit a single category?

Should there be a "double points" selection?

How much (if any) to enter?

How to score?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: