blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  chippy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: chippy  (Read 10327 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »

Was that pattie n chips wrapped in foil?

Shocking behaviour if so.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »

Manuel's Old Dear, I'm also pretty certain that the picture is further clouded by the way different people deal with different foods and their bodies metabolise fats, carbs, proteins differently.

This also, good point, yes.

I also think you'd have to drink a LOT of anything like diet coke for it to have a dramatic effect on your body and your weight.

I would have thought so also, but apparently it ain't so.

In the study I cited http://www.wnho.net/artificially_sweetened_beverages.pdf
there was already a dramatic increase in weight gain/circumference gain in someone drinking 2 ASBs (artificially sweetened beverages) per day compared to someone drinking none. 2 per day pretty standard among those that are into such things.

2 x ASBs per day over several years = 2 x the weight gain and 2 x the circumference gain compared to a non-ASB consumer

5 x ASBs per day over several years = 5 x the weight gain and 5 x the circumference gain compared to a non-ASB consumer

(both correlations, but probably also causations)

Just 2? WTF man?

Well I'm thinking probably:

1) Artificial Sweeteners are really sweet, much sweeter than sugar. The sweet taste of them has been suggested as having a role in people putting on more weight than controls, possibly due to disruption in reward pathways etc (brain expects incoming calories/sugars from taste on tongue, gets none. They cited analogue studies on rats on Aspartamine)

2) Acid-formation.
Most people are already in a fairly over-acidic state (compared to the blood pH ideal), I think. Diet sodas are right up there near the worst acid-forming consumables. 2 of these a day are going to cause fairly high net system-acidity, with the subsequent body-compensation attempts, and with the subsequent metabolism disruption that the latter causes.

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/22755010/1681464815/name/Acid-base%2Bbalance%2Band%2Bweight%2Bgain%2B-%2BBerkmeyer%2B%2B2008%2BReview%2Barticle.pdf

To answer Redgirl's question, I don't think there's too much to fear in having too many alkalines in your diet. The normal balance I heard cited is 80/20 alkaline-forming to acid-forming foods recommended. Most people are over-acid anyway, shifting to more alkaline going to just bring an equilibrium for the majority. I'm open to correction on that, it's what I saw on skimming.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:20:30 AM by ManuelsMum » Logged

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »

It is heartbreaking to see what Northerners have to eat. Is there no real food up there? I wish there was something we could do for those poor people.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

It is heartbreaking to see what Northerners have to eat. Is there no real food up there? I wish there was something we could do for those poor people.

You can help by staying on the South coast, well out of the way.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

M&M, I'll read those pdfs when I'm not on my phone, but it's going to take quite a few significant peer-reviewed studies to convince me of the 'danger' of the such a small consumption of artificially sweetened drinks being so extreme.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »

Now, people, I didn't want to have to go here, but I really don't feel I'm getting my propers.
I am the official forum sage! I demand some respect!
I am prepared to accept the regional variations Cake/Pattie/Scone.

I am not prepared to be told the North East is Scottish. The Scottish wouldn't like it either.

Mushrooms are a perfectly acceptable addition to gravy, they don't really affect the taste, and
can quite easily be picked out if you aren't over fond.

And yes david3103, I too was a little disturbed by the foil wrapped meal, and was hoping nobody
else would notice. sigh.

I thank you.
Thrice.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »

I love mushrooms, but I don't want them in my gravy uninvited tyvm.

The older I get, the better I was.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »

Have you tried it? My mother puts mushrooms in the gravy sometimes and it's incred, I was a doubter until I tried it.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »

Have you tried it? My mother puts mushrooms in the gravy sometimes and it's incred, I was a doubter until I tried it.

Yes I've tried it, and I like it. Sometimes.

The older I get, the better I was.
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »

Brilliant  Cheesy

SlikVik

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »

chips
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »

chips
10% pls

Just me
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »

I regret to inform you but it's unlikely that Mr Vik will reply.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

I regret to inform you but it's unlikely that Mr Vik will reply.

Just me
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: