blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Hero Call or Donkey Call?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hero Call or Donkey Call?  (Read 3290 times)
AceOnTheRiver

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »

Hi

Rarely post on here (mainly use blonde to rail friends in DTD events) and even rarer to post in this area but I'm really interested in people's views on this hand.

Tournament - APAT English Championship 2 day event. 15k starting. 45 min levels. Good Slow Structure. £75 buy-in. c£3k up top with an added value seat.

We are approaching the end of level 13 which is also the final level of day 1. Around 45 remain from 170 ish runners. NB Making Day 2 is not relevant in my thinking although the blind increase is.

I have been moved to this table c. 45 minutes ago. I know about half the table and would generalise that they are solid / tight. I have been the most active player although not maniacal.

The villain has not been at the table long. His only action has been to 3-bet my open to 15k from a 45k stack repping super-strength. I folded (I didn't have much).

I have opened & folded to shoves twice in addition to the example above so the table knows they can do it to me. In fact on the very previous hand it had folded round to my button at 1/2 and I opened with J3 as the SB is super-tight and the BB has just joined the table and hasn't put a chip in yet. BB shoves so I snap fold.

So the very next hand blinds are 1k/2k 300a
I have 83k & villain has 64k
Blinds will go to 1500 / 3k in 5 minutes

I open from the C/O to 5.5k with  , Button & SB Fold. After quite a while the BB shoves his 64k. I generally make quick decisions but on this occassion I tanked. Obviously there are hands which crush me & hands I am racing. But I am also putting A8 & below firmly in his range along with KJ etc.

It's effectively for my tournament life (I had him covered by 8BBs). My rationale is that I genuinely believe I am ahead and I want to win this tournament. If I fold I will have 25BBs in 5 minutes. If I call & I'm right, I have 130k which will put me in the Top 5.

I eventually make the call and the villain sheepishly shows  Obviously he gets there otherwise I probably don't post this but I spoke to a few people as the night went on and would like to pose a few questions. Instantly at the table some of the players said 'great call'. Most I spoke to afterwards said they would fold and I get this, I totally get it, I nearly folded myself.

It's a 'correct' call as I'm ahead but I guess another question is 'Do you want to play for 12 hours then get it in when you are likely to be 60/40 or do you wait for a better spot'? I even asked a few players after whether they call if his cards a face up and most say no, not all but most, but don't you have to get it in 60/40 win a race etc at some stage?

So my questions are:

Would you call or Fold?
Where do you place the Call on a Scale of Hero to Donkey?
Would you call if you could see his cards?
Does the call make sense statistically?
Is the call good or bad tournament strategy?

Hopefully no tl:dr but I did read Tighty's template asking for as much info as possible
rbc_mike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »

Welcome to the PHA Smiley

firstly, im definitely making it less pre, like 4.4k, no need to make it much bigger than 2x at this stage imo.
I am also snap folding to the reshove. let's assume he is reshoving 88+, A9s+, KTs,+, QJs+, A9o +, Kto+ (which is a generous range imo), then you are only 39.411%.
obvs a9o > jt, but this isn't how we should be thinking. you need to be assigning a range to this player, and against a reasonable range, you are doing pretty badly.

A 42bb stack, and even a 28bb stack are definitely playable, there is no need to take this much risk. tourneys are all about applying pressure and chipping up with as few showdowns as possible. i personally hate the call with a9o, and wouldn't call even if i could see his hand. 

i see what you are trying to say about a statistically correct call, but in tournaments, making a chip -ev play is often a tournament +ev play. fold and wait for a better spot.

Dying's for fools.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »

Snap fold

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »

Just fold. Raise a bit smaller pre. Pretty much should have a plan when you open though.
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »

from a theory perspective tho if hands were in fact face up then it's a snapity snap call. These are the edges.
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »

Think it's an easy fold if you don't know his hand. If you knew you were 60/40 It's an easy call ESP given the dead money in the middle. A9off v j10s is in fact 52/48 though. If you could see his hand it's prob a sigh call given dead money in the middle.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »

Icm wise, its a fold even if you can see his hand no?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
PutYouOnAK/AQ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »

Probably a fold in live poker but its not an easy fold.  Online vs aggro regs I'm very happy calling off A9 but its +EV because we're going to be winning/flipping a lot and sometimes we will have them crushed, but its an opportunity to knock out a good player (who we're never gonna have a big edge over) and have a huge stack.  

If you think you have a decent edge on the field then theres no need to take a high variance flip, but at the same time you have to look at your table image now as players will shove lighter on you knowing your going to fold a bunch.

Open smaller and its tougher for people to shove, its hard to shove 60k if you opened to 4.2, if you get 3bet by said seemingly aggro player then you can shove.  Its harder to get away from a pot when you've invested so much in it and think theres a good chance your winning so invest as small as possible to win as much as possible.

Also don't think about how many bigs your playing just remember what the effective stacks are.

Lastly if your getting shoved on loads then don't open an obvious position when players have reshoving stacks unless your going to call.

Ul anyway gl in future comps!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:02:05 AM by PutYouOnAK/AQ » Logged
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »

Why?
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

Why?

the whole thing about busting 48% of the time and doubling up 52% of the time. you know? like when you tell us to fold AK 3handed to a blind allin?!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
AceOnTheRiver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Reflecting on your comments and many conversations I've had over the weekend, it seems that I am only thinking on one level in this spot regarding the eventual call. I will try to learn and improve my tournament play.

And yes, I accept that pre should be more like 2.2x

Another question, what can I call with in this spot?

Presume AJ is an easy call? so does that mean AT is also?
What about pairs? 88+ ?
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »

Why?

the whole thing about busting 48% of the time and doubling up 52% of the time. you know? like when you tell us to fold AK 3handed to a blind allin?!

oh like on a final table you mean?
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »

Why?

yeh, but icm still exists when 2/3/4tables left right?

Doesn't it still apply in level one? E.g. you raise to 300 at 50/100, guy puts you all in for 15k and shows AK, you don't call with 22 do you?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »

Why?

yeh, but icm still exists when 2/3/4tables left right?

Doesn't it still apply in level one? E.g. you raise to 300 at 50/100, guy puts you all in for 15k and shows AK, you don't call with 22 do you?

Right well im no expert but ICM calculations can only be done when you are actually in the money so assume they are only relevent when you are in the money/on the bubble.  They are designed for sit and go's and later stages of MTTs.  A decision you make not to stick it in on a 50/50 in say level one of a tournament is not an ICM decision its about preserving your tournament life because you think better spots will arise later in the tournament (this is not what ICM is - ICM is making decisions based on the fact that chip equity does not directly correlate to $ equity).
The point about calling it off when you are 52/48 is there is already dead money in there - and i cant be bothered to do the calculation but effectively your getting about 60/40 on your call (i would guess).  60/40 is a pretty big edge (IMO) in a tournament when you're likely to playing a circa 25bb stack and theres actually not a great deal of play.

An extreme example is you would take a 70/30 edge in the WSOP main event with 800 players left in.  However if you are 3 handed on the final table one guy has 10mill, you have 10mill and the other guy has 10k i trust you can see that it would not be in your interests to take a 70/30 versus the other big stack when you can just fold until the short stack gets knocked out.  This is basically what ICM is referring to.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »

Have you read this Alex? http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=46848.0

Great ICM stuff in there.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: