blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Stephen Hendry retires
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stephen Hendry retires  (Read 4047 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:18 PM »

I predict he'll make a comeback.

You heard it here first.

Strictly Come Dancing?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »

Not a big surprise I suppose, seeing as he tried to retire last year and kinda got peer pressured out of it.

I'd imagine it's a right pain having to trek around to all those tournaments, especially having to qualify now.  Not like he has anything to prove.

Regarding the comeback comment, I'd imagine he could still have a bash at the qualifiers for the World Champs if he wanted - although the standard is getting so good that I doubt he'd have much chance.  Not sure the exact rules but John Parrott isn't on the tour any more yet still popped up for a 5-0 drubbing as an "amateur" in a very early qualifying round.

http://snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=95

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »

Yeah I was in bits for days even though he had behaved terribly when he did an exhibition for my dad back in 1990

Cliffs?

Turned up late, scruffy and pissed. Played 4 frames then did the offski for an hour or so around town, came back and played another 4 frames. Dad said what about trick shots and was told that he didn't do trick shots as we see them when he's playing anyway.

The asked my mum if she would write a letter to Barry Hearn saying how professional he was and how impressed they were with the exhibition. Dad didn't say much but mum told him to fk off Cheesy

This was 1990 and for £3k plus vat you might have expected him to at least conduct himself well and put on a good show. By far the worst exhibition they ever had dad said and they had over a dozen through the years.

Tony Knowles came up the club the day after the exhibition and went around the club giving advice and tips to all the players who were playing and this was after having to fly down to Heathrow because of terrible weather on the day. He also played a dozen frames because he was playing well and said he wouldn't stop until he made a ton.

Higgins played about a dozen frames too and was pretty well behaved apart from getting into it with the manager who was also at the time British Karate Champion. It wouldn't have been right if in true Higgins style he hadn't gone off with one of the local party people which in turn led to the hotel ringing my dad the next afternoon asking him if he could help them get Mr Higgins out of his room.....

Cliff Thorburn played one of the best players in the club who happened to be celebrating his birthday on the night of the exhibition. He was only about 18 at the time, won the toss and chose to break. Cliff smashed in a 130 clearance turned to him and said 'happy birthday son'. He then stayed at the bar drinking all night with the members and was still there at 3am shitfaced doing Norman Wisdom impressions.

Terry Griffiths did the same stuff as Knowles in 94 coaching the players and even came up early to play the winner of the U14 tournament in the afternoon too. He also put a word in to Steve Davis for my old man as he said it was such a nice club and got dad a discount of £5k as Steve only charged £2.5k +vat on his recommendation.

The computers at the club had a billing system and when Bill Werbeniuk came the barman used it to tally his intake. He drank 18 pints of Carlsberg Export in 4hours and was so pissed he couldn't do his trick shots Cheesy

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »

Yeah I was in bits for days even though he had behaved terribly when he did an exhibition for my dad back in 1990

Cliffs?

Turned up late, scruffy and pissed. Played 4 frames then did the offski for an hour or so around town, came back and played another 4 frames. Dad said what about trick shots and was told that he didn't do trick shots as we see them when he's playing anyway.

The asked my mum if she would write a letter to Barry Hearn saying how professional he was and how impressed they were with the exhibition. Dad didn't say much but mum told him to fk off Cheesy

This was 1990 and for £3k plus vat you might have expected him to at least conduct himself well and put on a good show. By far the worst exhibition they ever had dad said and they had over a dozen through the years.

Tony Knowles came up the club the day after the exhibition and went around the club giving advice and tips to all the players who were playing and this was after having to fly down to Heathrow because of terrible weather on the day. He also played a dozen frames because he was playing well and said he wouldn't stop until he made a ton.

Higgins played about a dozen frames too and was pretty well behaved apart from getting into it with the manager who was also at the time British Karate Champion. It wouldn't have been right if in true Higgins style he hadn't gone off with one of the local party people which in turn led to the hotel ringing my dad the next afternoon asking him if he could help them get Mr Higgins out of his room.....

Cliff Thorburn played one of the best players in the club who happened to be celebrating his birthday on the night of the exhibition. He was only about 18 at the time, won the toss and chose to break. Cliff smashed in a 130 clearance turned to him and said 'happy birthday son'. He then stayed at the bar drinking all night with the members and was still there at 3am shitfaced doing Norman Wisdom impressions.

Terry Griffiths did the same stuff as Knowles in 94 coaching the players and even came up early to play the winner of the U14 tournament in the afternoon too. He also put a word in to Steve Davis for my old man as he said it was such a nice club and got dad a discount of £5k as Steve only charged £2.5k +vat on his recommendation.

The computers at the club had a billing system and when Bill Werbeniuk came the barman used it to tally his intake. He drank 18 pints of Carlsberg Export in 4hours and was so pissed he couldn't do his trick shots Cheesy

The right answer would have just been "Thorburn".

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »

Cliffs?

Carlsberg don't do cliff notes....

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »

I'm getting on now obv and enjoying  strolling on down memory lane Smiley

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »

I'm getting on now obv and enjoying  strolling on down memory lane Smiley

Welcome to my world.

Mind you, nostalgia's not what it used to be.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:41 AM »

I'm getting on now obv and enjoying strolling on down memory lane Smiley

Welcome to my world.

Truth is, it's nice to reminiscence, (that must be gramatically incorrect) & we might be surprised by how much people enjoy reading little vignettes like that.

Write more, people LOVE that sort of thing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »

Reminisce is the one you're looking for Smiley

It is great fun writing it out and definitely stirs good memories from growing up.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »

Best ever I think and nothing but respect for the bloke, even though he had me in tears when he beat White in 94  Cheesy

Tears of sadness for White I hope. I was a huge Steve Davis fan, so much so I now look like him. So when young Hendry came along and disposed the nugget I was a little annoyed by the sweater shop wearing youthful spotty Scottish lad. But over the years he's been a true champion and ambassador of the game, it think it's a great way to retire. Leaving a real lasting impression, wp Mr Hendry!

Yeah I was in bits for days even though he had behaved terribly when he did an exhibition for my dad back in 1990, I was young and that made no odds to me though he was my hero. I used to play long frame matches with my brother at dad's club with him being Hendry and myself Jimmy, at least Jimmy nearly always won those!!

Was gutted at the time that dad wouldn't let me go to the exhibition to play him and I remember having a right sulk about it at the time for ages lol. Got to play Alex though which almost made up for it especially when he bought me lunch too Cheesy

Jimmy White is well well known Thailand degen mate, he is there a lot  Wink

Funnily enough Hendry goes there too doesn't he??? Can't remember which bar I saw loadsa pics of him in...

Missed this first time around, doesn't surprise me in the slightest about White Cheesy

Surprised about Hendry however as he's a married man with a couple young kids.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: