blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Brandon Schaefer, a story to inspire
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brandon Schaefer, a story to inspire  (Read 2911 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »

I thought this deserved its own thread

Written by WSOP Press guru Nolan Dalla, and sent out via the WSOP wires to the media...

Las Vegas, NV (June 8, 2012) -- This is a remarkable story.

It’s a story about personal sacrifice.  It is a story about making a commitment, and then keeping it.  It is a story about the escalating maturity of a remarkable young man who initially aspired to do one thing in life, and then suddenly did an extraordinary “about-face,” ultimately choosing to march to a completely different drummer, headed in an entirely different direction.

Meet – Brandon Schaefer.

Schaefer a 31-year-old man originally from Evanston, IL who once aspired to play poker for a living.  Like so many of his peers, he got caught up in the so-called “poker craze” during the post-Moneymaker era and soon found himself playing poker more than anything else.  Before he knew it, poker was more than just a hobby.  It was paying the bills.  Gradually, Schaefer transformed from full-time student into the kind of person seen by the thousands littering the tournament rooms and hallways of places like the World Series of Poker – a twenty-something, oft-hooded android incessantly hooked up to an IPod, mouse-clicking his way to financial independence.  No question, the "job" had it perks.

But something in Schaefer’s life was seriously missing.  Poker was not an end.  It was a means.  It was a means to an end.  Indeed, poker was a means to do something else.  To do something bigger.  To do something greater.  To see more of the world’s many magical places.  To experience more things.  To enjoy life more.  Much more.

Stoked with a bankroll enhanced by a combination of online success and some six-figure tournament cashes in Europe, Schaefer took some time off to travel and see the world.  He visited new places.  The more he immersed himself in his new experiences, the more he began to realize just how confining his previous ambition and occupation had become.  Spending 70 hours a week gazing at a computer screen or sitting inside poker rooms avoiding the pratfall of looming bad beats simply wasn’t fulfilling.  Make that fulfilling enough.

Fulfilling for some?  Perhaps.  Fulfilling for many?  Perhaps.  Just look around.  But not fulfilling enough for Schaefer.

During his many travels, Schaefer increasingly found himself drawn to the prospect of flying and the idea of becoming an aviator.  He also felt a deep sense of patriotism and a duty to give something back to his community and to country.  Encouraged by his older brother, who is currently an active-duty career military officer, Schaefer made a decision that was as daring as it is extraordinary. 

Schaefer decided to walk away from poker.  Quit the game.  Give it up.  Schaefer was about to make the ultimate gamble, and his decision had nothing to do with cards and chips.  He was giving up what for him had become a sure thing, in exchange for much greater uncertainly, laced with the prospect of danger.

And so, last September, Schaefer – now residing in Seattle, WA – walked into his local Army recruiting office and explained that he wanted to enlist in the United States Army.  He further explained that his ambition was to fly.

Schaefer was accepted on the spot and soon went through basic training.  He served for eight months in the military.  Then, he was accepted into a special program for aspiring helicopter pilots.  Schaefer is scheduled to begin his flight training in a few weeks.

But just prior to making what many would consider to be a giant leap of faith -- and possibly be shipped oversees for a far more dangerous role -- Schaefer decided to give poker one last try.  He made what will be a final trip (for a long time) to Las Vegas and to the 2012 World Series of Poker.  Schaefer later confided that he had totally forgotten about the WSOP this year, but once he heard the tournaments were now taking place, he boarded a plane at the last moment with the intent to enter just one event – which was the $1,500 buy-in No-Limit Hold’em Shootout.

When Schaefer arrived at the Rio and walked the halls with people who had previously been his poker playing peers, most of his compatriots probably had no idea of the commitment, the risks, and potentially the dangers that lie ahead for the player who initially took a place at Table 422, Seat 6 on Day One.  To bystanders, he looked like a typical poker player.  His hair may have been a little shorter  He was in better physical shape, than most.  But no one would have guessed that beneath the ball cap and the jersey, he’s one of our nation's very finest, the embodiment of selfless patriotism, and the personification of what General Douglas MacArthur alluded to when he famously uttered the words, "Duty, Honor, Country."

On Day One, Schaefer won his first match, which meant he was in-the-money.  Schaefer returned for Day Two, and won again, which meant he had locked up a seat in the final 12.  Then, on a magical day where all the stars aligned in a perfect poker universe, Schaefer came to dominate final table action and won his WSOP gold bracelet on a Friday night that turned into one of the most talked-about and Twittered finales of this year's series.

He collected $311,174 in prize money for the feat.  But the money and the golden amulet of accomplishment didn't seem to be on Schaefer's mind much as he stood before the flashing cameras and the poker world for one last shining moment, before entering an alternative universe where the currency of survival has absolutely nothing to do with money or gold bracelets.

Ironically, Schaefer won poker’s “Holy Grail” -- as he so aptly called it afterwards -- at the conclusion of one phase of his life and the very beginning of another.  All those seven years of table decisions, all those mouse-clicks, all those days, weeks, months, and ultimately years trying to be the very best be could be at this game – finally authenticated by victory.

And yet, for all the intrinsic accolades that goes along with winning a gold bracelet, for Brandon Schaefer, it's not over.  It's just starting.  A much bigger challenge is about to begin, for much higher stakes. 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »

Respect to the guy, awesome.

istrabraq

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »

Amazing story
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »

Lovely story.

This almost sounds a bit chirpy, but it's not intended to be.

Brandon & I correspond regularly, going back over 7 years.

We met at the Deauville EPT in 2005, after I imploded in the Semi, but we shared tables for 2 days, & I found him a really terrific sort.

There was a peculiar sidebar, he and his best mate, from the same Hickville type town in the USA, BOTH qualified online for the Deuville EPT, Brandon won it, his mate came, I think, 2nd or 3rd, for an extraordinary double.

We exchanged e-addresses that day, & he wrote to me the very next day, we kept in touch, & I even got him to sign up to blonde.

Exactly a month later, he came 2nd in the Monte Carlo EPT for €350,000, wow. I was there, not sure why, but Jen Mason played it, as part of her Unusual Suspects prize I believe, & Jen's Mum was there, too.

Anyway, Brandon turned up with his Mum in tow, (they both came to Barcelona EPT the following year, too), she was SO proud, you would not believe, & he was obviously as proud as punch of his Mum, who is a lovely lady. The family are of Asian origin, but I can't quite recall where exactly.

He is proper old-fashioned, & a true gentleman, he writes very correctly, well-presented writing is so nice to see, & has great humility.

I kmew none of that story that Nolan wrote about Brandon, even though we have corresponded several times recently. What an amazing lad. No wonder his Mum is proud.

He was very helpful to blonde, too, assisting Jen & I in many Live Updates, think snoopy &/or Floppy may remember that, too. Seems so strange now, but we pretty much pioneered Interaactive Live Updates, & we needed all the help we could get.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:36:03 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

He is proper old-fashioned, & a true gentleman, he writes very correctly, well-presented writing is so nice to see, & has great humility.

I kmew none of that story that Nolan wrote about Brandon, even though we have corresponded several times recently. What an amazing lad. No wonder his Mum is proud.

If only he could say the same thing about you.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »

If only he could say the same thing about you.

Yup, I can but envy those who write better than my ham-fisted efforts.

I still love to see it though.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Gazza

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »

Good story, he's an old school 2+2er as well.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »

what's his name on blonde? does he have any posts?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »

what's his name on blonde? does he have any posts?

Buggered if I can remember! I think he Posted once or twice, just to say "Hi".

I just tried to search for it, but it's not there under any obvious alias.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »

Correction, found him. "Brandon", a grand total of 4 Posts.

Here's one, from an EPT in, I think, 2008.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=30938.msg638464#msg638464

highmile

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »

Very nice guy, so was his mate, I too met him in Deauville when he won it and spoke to him quite a lot. I'm sure he was still at college and had qualified through Pokerpoints or something similar! EPT gave his friend a final ticket too which was a nice touch.

Not sure about all that crap in the article though, what the hell would he want to join the US Military to go fight the Oil Industy and Banker's wars for? - would have though he could have put his talent and money to a decent cause!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »

Very nice guy, so was his mate, I too met him in Deauville when he won it and spoke to him quite a lot. I'm sure he was still at college and had qualified through Pokerpoints or something similar! EPT gave his friend a final ticket too which was a nice touch.Not sure about all that crap in the article though, what the hell would he want to join the US Military to go fight the Oil Industy and Banker's wars for? - would have though he could have put his talent and money to a decent cause!

That's right, I recall now. Remember, back then, EPT had just started, & 'Stars was a mere 5th or 10th the size it is now, & kids travelling across the world after qualifying Online was something of a novelty.

Did you play that Deauville EPT, too? Just wondering if we know each other.

leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

A great story

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
highmile

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »

Yep I played it...long story, first big live tourney, doubled up in the first hour and finished day one in top 10%. Day 2 went dry then reraised all in with my AK against the serial raiser only to get called by one of your Blonde 'Pros' who had a big stack and declared 'I'll give you a double up' and called with about 25% of his stack.....obviously I was no match for his K6 suited!!!!!

We've met, shook hands and had a chat. I'll introduce myself next time I see you  Wink
luckyblind

Why did I call myself lucky?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

Yep, Brandon is truly one of the nicest guys I have met on the poker scene. I met him and played against him at Deauville also and every few years afterwards I would see him and he always remembered me and stopped for a few words.

I might have an inkling who had the K6 highmile Smiley At first I thought it might have been me but then I realised you had said "Blonde Pro" so it must have been someone else.

That EPT had quite a few blondes go deep and if I recall correctly it was the week that blonde launched. It was my first time playing an EPT after having only been playing for less than a year. It was the first time I met Tikay, Thewy, riverdave, Mel Lofthouse, Willie Tann, The Camel, Jeff Duvall & El Blondie himself. Ah the memories... Just wish I had cashed in an EPT since Smiley

D 4 Events - Deepstack & Short-Handed Poker Festivals across Europe. €500 main events with €300 & €200 Side Events.

Great Structures, Fantastic Venues, Affordable entry fees.

PM for more info.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: