blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272587 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  5 card omaha
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 card omaha  (Read 13035 times)
biggy333

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »

i know this is really vague but i jus sat in the £2 £2 / £4 , 4/5 card PLO game at gala leeds the other night and was looking for any help/tips.  i normally play PLO50 - 200 and can generally hold my own but just felt lost with the extra card.

i didn't play too long so no spec hands to ask about but it seemed a lot of pots were 5/6 way pre and some showdowns what i saw were like !?!?

can't rem exact but somthing like 24556 called £10 pre and scooped a £1k pot that got to the river 3 way was one that i thought wow.

i know it's vague but any help would be great thanks
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

It's basically bingo. Great fun though.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

+1

You should try it with 6. Not for the feint hearted.

Ah! The element of surprise
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »

5 or 6 card PLO should be a terrible game. The reason for this is that everyone should play extremely tight - since the nuts is always very likely to be out there, often with a big re-draw too. Everyone should play very tight preflop, and even tighter post-flop. There is simply no other way to win at multi-card PLO than to follow this strategy. This contrasts with NLHE or 4-card PLO where a variety of styles, including some very loose ones, can be profitable provided the practitioner is skilled enough to make them work (especially when a game is short-handed).

This means that theoretically multi-card PLO should be a conspiracy of tightness. It is almost as if this game is designed to kill action. In practice, however, it rarely turns out like that. The weaker players tend to see multi-card PLO as the ultimate gambling game in which the field is leveled and everyone has a fighting chance. In reality, of course, nothing could be further from the truth. But because the weak players mistakenly think of the game in this way and play far too loose/bad, it is a very easy game to beat and does not require a sophisticated skillset like NLHE or 4-card PLO. The problem for a good player who enjoys playing poker is that, whilst it is easy to win, it is also very boring because it forces even a very skilled poker player to play a very nitty game. There is no choice, no ability to use his poker skills to play more hands. If he plays loose he will be unable to beat the game. It is that simple.

As anyone who knows me will testify, I can nit it up with the best of them if need be. And I will do so in multi-card games (or in any game if the table is 9 or 10 handed) because this is the only way to win. But I hate having to do so; it feels dirty. Also, I don't like playing in a game where the weak/loose players have no chance at all to win. They should always have a punchers chance. They have this chance at 4-card PLO or NLHE (provided there are no more than 8 players at the table, preferably less). At multi-card games they are dead before they start.

There is one thing about multi-card PLO that winds me up in particular. When a PLO or Dealers Choice game goes short-handed it leaves the old-school rocks in a bit of a predicament because they might now have to play some poker rather than simply nut-peddling and waiting for the loose weak players to GIVE them their money. Now what often happens is that one of the grumpy old rocks suggests "Why don't we play 8 card Omaha?". And usually the weak players jump at the chance, thinking this is their opportunity to gamble. Really all that has happened is that the old rock has managed to get the game back to what it was when it was a full table... a straightforward nut peddling game where anything other than very tight play is brutally punished.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »

I played 4-handed 6-10 card PLO live one night about a year ago. Might of been one of the most fun games I've ever played in live

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

I played 4-handed 6-10 card PLO live one night about a year ago. Might of been one of the most fun games I've ever played in live

Lol. I bet there were three of you having a great time; gambling, laughing and loving every minute of it. And then the fourth player was a shrewd old rock, playing tight and getting the best of it against you all every time he made a bet.
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »

5 or 6 card PLO should be a terrible game. The reason for this is that everyone should play extremely tight - since the nuts is always very likely to be out there, often with a big re-draw too. Everyone should play very tight preflop, and even tighter post-flop. There is simply no other way to win at multi-card PLO than to follow this strategy. This contrasts with NLHE or 4-card PLO where a variety of styles, including some very loose ones, can be profitable provided the practitioner is skilled enough to make them work (especially when a game is short-handed).

This means that theoretically multi-card PLO should be a conspiracy of tightness. It is almost as if this game is designed to kill action. In practice, however, it rarely turns out like that. The weaker players tend to see multi-card PLO as the ultimate gambling game in which the field is leveled and everyone has a fighting chance. In reality, of course, nothing could be further from the truth. But because the weak players mistakenly think of the game in this way and play far too loose/bad, it is a very easy game to beat and does not require a sophisticated skillset like NLHE or 4-card PLO. The problem for a good player who enjoys playing poker is that, whilst it is easy to win, it is also very boring because it forces even a very skilled poker player to play a very nitty game. There is no choice, no ability to use his poker skills to play more hands. If he plays loose he will be unable to beat the game. It is that simple.

As anyone who knows me will testify, I can nit it up with the best of them if need be. And I will do so in multi-card games (or in any game if the table is 9 or 10 handed) because this is the only way to win. But I hate having to do so; it feels dirty. Also, I don't like playing in a game where the weak/loose players have no chance at all to win. They should always have a punchers chance. They have this chance at 4-card PLO or NLHE (provided there are no more than 8 players at the table, preferably less). At multi-card games they are dead before they start.

There is one thing about multi-card PLO that winds me up in particular. When a PLO or Dealers Choice game goes short-handed it leaves the old-school rocks in a bit of a predicament because they might now have to play some poker rather than simply nut-peddling and waiting for the loose weak players to GIVE them their money. Now what often happens is that one of the grumpy old rocks suggests "Why don't we play 8 card Omaha?". And usually the weak players jump at the chance, thinking this is their opportunity to gamble. Really all that has happened is that the old rock has managed to get the game back to what it was when it was a full table... a straightforward nut peddling game where anything other than very tight play is brutally punished.
Please find some other way besides under lining to emphasise your point. I 've almost broke my iPhone trying to get the "conspiracy of tightness" link to work Sad

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
biggy333

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

thanks for the replies

one of the things i was wondering was after i saw the 1k pot won with a low rundown is about starting hands. Apart from the obv DS broadways etc,what about playing 4 inc a pair / 5 card rundowns either suited or unsuited ? obv if u connect with the flop u have a massive wrap and good chance to make a straight easily or are they trouble hands for when u hit a low flush. And hands like 66889 to hit sets/quads. Would these just be a recepie for disaster with set over set/ underfull and best avoided .

i only played for about an hour or so did about £150 just getting raised off meh draws on the flop/turn eg.one hand on the turn i had gutshot/NFD where it was on me £225 to call vs 2 players - i fold (didn't come anyway). another hand on the flop i had broadway wrap £100+ to see turn where 2 spades on the flop so not all clean outs (that was £8/900 pot i would've split)

maybe i should jus grow a pair and get it in- but tbh i can't afford to throw £400 a time at flops/turns 2/3/4way!! (no bank roll managment lectures pls)

thanks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:22:41 PM by biggy333 » Logged
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

you should try 6-7 card PLO with a double flop greatest game ever after 10 card PLO8

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
biggy333

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »

it's at the gala leeds - normally 8 handed and button chooses 4/5 cards. i think if it's 7 handed u can opt for 6 but not sure, one guy asked while i was playing but obv 8 handed theres not enough cards
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »

If you're technical minded and a lil geeky then use the pro poker tools site or even better the Odds Oracle app (if you play with any serious intentions online then you should 100% have Odds Oracle anyway its a terrific tool) they both have a 5card PLO simulator. An interesting thing that you'll see if you run 5card PLO equities is that put a flop like   give yourself KK378 or some hand which is the VERY naked nuts and then run the equity against some hand that doesn't look like much at all and you'll be very surprised how much closer the equities are.

This kind of back Stu's points up where a weaker player who is delighted to be playing 5card PLO because of all the gambling he gets to do, gets to this flop, flops the nuts, gets his £500 in, but then vs anything that wants to be all-in here he is prolly drawing near enough dead.

+1

You should try it with 6. Not for the feint hearted.

I would describe 6card PLO as a game for everyone too feint hearted to play 4card PLO.  People are scared to play 4card PLO against aggressive players to pick 6 where they can hide behind all the cards they have and don't have to play any poker.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »

you should try 6-7 card PLO with a double flop greatest game ever after 10 card PLO8

bet the dealers LOVE this game.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

I would just end up getting to showdown and turning my cards over and just saying work out what i have got!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »

I would just end up getting to showdown and turning my cards over and just saying work out what i have got!
done that many time always wanted to play PLO8 with a double flop but dealer would kill us all

7 card double flop omaha is james bond and 6 card double flop is sean bean

also loved 3 card holdem with a doble flop people get so confused thinking they have the nuts on one board with a straight when quads is possible on every hand

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
biggy333

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »

didn't know about Odds Oracle app, i have HEM and thats great for normal PLO but obv not 5 card, i really wanna put some time into  getting my head round 5 cards cos the way i saw some  of the guys play (obv apart from some v.v. solid players) theres some money to be won and it's my local game  - i'll have a look at it def.

cheers
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: