blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:36:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 344670 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »

While what might be regarded as one of the golden ages of chess was going on, there was a female superstar in the US chess world.

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4006751/lisa-lane-the-first-chess-beauty-queen.aspx

I'd never heard of her, but this is quite some character! Worth a few moments of your time, for sure.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 10, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »

The caption reads: "Seated at a chessboard, she is a chain-smoking, aggressive player with remarkable concentration..."

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 11, 2013, 08:01:14 AM »

Most of the major chess countries have top-flight leagues, much as you see in football. In the same way, there is a core of local players, but the big teams draft in (at their and their sponsors' expense) heavy hitters from further afield.

The 4 Nations Chess League is our local one, but plays a close second fiddle to the German Schachbundesliga (Schach being German for chess). Its season came to a conclusion at the weekend and this was the final table:

STANDINGS
RNG. Team                            P
1.   OSG Baden-Baden   30
2.   Mülheim Nord           25
3.   SG Solingen                   21
4.   SC Eppingen                   20
5.   Werder Bremen           19
6.   Turm Emsdetten           18
7.   SG Trier.                    17
8.   Hamburger S K           16
9.   SV 1930 Hockenheim   16
10.   Wiesbadener S V.     16
11.   SF Katernberg           15
12.   SV Wattenscheid           11
13.   SF Berlin                    7
14.   SV Griesheim            5
15.   SC Forchheim            2
16.   S K Norderstedt            2

Their squad is, frankly, ridiculous:

http://schachbundesliga.de/ligen/aufstellung.php?menuid=93&topmenu=80&keepmenu=inactive&keepmenu=inactive&keepmenu=inactive

It is worthy of note that the top two haven't played a game for them this season, the team has, by signing them, of course, ensured that they couldn't play a game against them either.

The team that finished second still had a very strong squad and more regular appearances, but not of the same stellar ilk:

http://schachbundesliga.de/ligen/aufstellung.php?menuid=108&topmenu=80&keepmenu=inactive&keepmenu=inactive&keepmenu=inactive

Baden Baden claim their 8th consecutive title.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:03:16 AM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 12, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »

I'm sure at some point in the last seventy-odd pages I've mentioned blind players; players who compete in normal tournaments with everyone else, but who have no or very limited vision.

There is a documentary out on blind chess in India. Here is a synopsis:

Filmed over three years from just before the World Junior Blind Chess Championship in Sweden in 2009 to just after the next championship in Greece in 2011, it follows three talented boys from different parts of India and a totally blind player turned pioneer who not only aims to situate India on a global stage but also wants all blind children to play chess.

Algorithms travels with the chess players to competitive tournaments and visits them in their home milieu where they reveal their struggles, anxieties and hopes. It moves through the algorithms of the blind chess world challenging the sighted of what it means to see. Going beyond sight and story, this observational sport doc with a difference elicits hidden realms of subjectivity. It allows for the tactile and thoughtful journey that explores foresight, sight and vision to continue long after the moving image ends.

Algorithms is the first ever feature documentary on Blind Chess.

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009460/four-moves-in-we-are-all-blind-120413.aspx

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »

Here is a clip:

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »

The latest master tournament starts on Thursday. Here are the players and, should you be interested, the betting:

http://www.marathonbet.com/en/betting/Chess

My gut tells me Radjabov is a very good price. He picks up his rating points by beating slightly weaker players and holding against the top dogs. He's also the only one of the contenders who plays a solid, counterattacking game, so should act as a good foil for the aggressive players.

A month ago, he would have been the highest rated player in the tournament. He tired towards the end of the Candidates and his rustiness found him out a bit. As is the way, once the sharks find out there's an injured dinner somewhere, they attack mercilessly.

Nakamura, Karjakin, Caruana and Topalov are all fiery, aggressive sorts. It is normal scoring, tho, so there's no 3 point advantage for winning game.

Should give us some entertaining games anyway.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »

I should have mentioned that the tournament in Zug, Switzerland, starting tomorrow is part of the Grand Prix series. This is one of the best ways for players outside the top five in the ratings to qualify for the next Candidates cycle.

Two events have been and gone - in Tashkent and London (not the London Classic) - and those who've yet to win one will be looking to do better this time.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009499/15th-dubai-open-chess-championship-160413.aspx

Report and photos of a tournament that has just come to a close in Dubai.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 18, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

There are a few countries where chess is part of the national curriculum and schools use it as a way of developing both social skills and tactical nous.

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009512/why-chess-should-be-required-in-us-schools-170413.aspx

You can now add a few cities in England to that list, thanks to a government-sponsored charity.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 18, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »

It is amazing, whenever I mention that I play chess, how many people who tell me "I used to play at school".

Makes me wonder why they stopped, but also what a brilliant educational device it is. It must interest children almost inherently, because so many, from wide ranging backgrounds, take it up of their own volition.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »

It is amazing, whenever I mention that I play chess, how many people who tell me "I used to play at school".

Makes me wonder why they stopped, but also what a brilliant educational device it is. It must interest children almost inherently, because so many, from wide ranging backgrounds, take it up of their own volition.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 18, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »

I'm not even sure what the last one is.

Or what you were doing walking in on those poor ladies with your camera.

All I know is you've sullied this beautiful thread. Again.

Roll Eyes

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »

Roll Eyes

You don't know what Mad Dog 2020 is? Oh my, with a capful of that girls knickers magically fell to the ground, it was incred! Although the watermelon one did make me puke all over my white jeans. Sad

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 18, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Roll Eyes

You don't know what Mad Dog 2020 is? Oh my, with a capful of that girls knickers magically fell to the ground, it was incred! Although the watermelon one did make me puke all over my white jeans. Sad

Literally (Andy Townsend style) - literally - never heard of it.

Sounds...evocative.

Also, took me a little while mentally to punctuate that sentence. I'm sure you did that deliberately, following the Poshboy grammar natter. Kudos if so.

I asked the chap next to me at work (he is more of an homme du monde than I). He laughed and said he'd also had something called Thunderbird.

I've decided I'm best off away from such lascivious beverages, in spite of what manner of doors they may open.

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

Thunderbird was also deece but I would say he is probs aged 33 as that was more for the older kids.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: