blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 344422 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:56 AM »

The 64 squares are numbered by the column and row of the board. A-H for the columns starting from the left; and 1-8 for the rows starting from the bottom. So the first square in the bottom left corner is a1, and the top right square is h8 (always done from white's point of view).

Then capital letters are used for the pieces. So B=bishop, N=knight, K=king, etc.

So, Be5 means Bishop to e5.

Thanks, figured it was something like this... but i did wonder about the two 'views' and when you refer to which piece.. which rook etc..

If both your rooks (for example) can both move to the same square then you also add the square it started on.

Pawns don't get a letter, so if it just says a square number (like e5) then it means pawn to e5

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »

white: A rook and 3 pawns v black: a rook and 2 pawns

if both sides work out that without the other side intefering you can both race a pawn and get them promoted, do you let your opponent get his pawn promoted queen in exchange for being able to get your pawn promoted to a queen?

Also - black promotes first so is a pawn down, but with the initiative

EDIT: I've played 40 long games (3 days per move) so now I'm analysing - hence the burst of strategic thinking

Hi Jon. This is a difficult question to answer because it depends so much on the position.

In general, queening a pawn each makes the position much more complicated (because the queen has so many possible moves for you to work out) and the side that is ahead will generally want to keep it simple; both queening would tend to give the other guy a chance he doesn't deserve.

Endgames are more difficult than players realise because they are full of little tactics. The fact that Magnus Carlsen has been beating the best players in the world in level endgames is proof of this.

If the pawns are all on the same side of the board, the position might be a theoretical draw. By all means carry on, but be aware that, if the villain plays well, it might lead to shaking hands. Make him find the right moves, though, if you want.

And thank you for your examination of the position. Certainly encouraged some debate.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »

Quote from: kinboshi link=topic=58441.msg1648994#msg1648994date=1349483974
The 64 squares are numbered by the column and row of the board. A-H for the columns starting from the left; and 1-8 for the rows starting from the bottom. So the first square in the bottom left corner is a1, and the top right square is h8 (always done from white's point of view).

Then capital letters are used for the pieces. So B=bishop, N=knight, K=king, etc.

So, Be5 means Bishop to e5.

Thanks, figured it was something like this... but i did wonder about the two 'views' and when you refer to which piece.. which rook etc..

There are different ways of recording the moves and this is the modern way, called Algebraic Notation. Wiki amongst others explains how to do it

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)

http://chess.about.com/od/tipsforbeginners/qt/ReadNotation.htm

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

When I first started playing, it was either descriptive or algebraic - and it was either or that was used, but not both together. I naturally combined the two in my notation as it seemed the obvious thing to do, and now it's pretty standard.

I remember being able to read chess notation of a game and be able to follow the whole game in my head without a board. I reckon I'd get lost after five moves now.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »

I'm not as good as I used to be either, Kinboshi. I used to be able to recall games but I struggle now.

A thought-provoking article on economics from a chess grandmaster turned economist Ken Rogoff. (This is the man who played Carlsen for a bit of fun on his sponsor-led visit to New York a few weeks back)

Cliffs: the birth of the computer age raised questions about whether it would put people out of jobs. It didn't. In chess, computers have changed the game and, rather than putting trainers out of a job, they're now paid more than ever, because they are able to utilise the resources better than anyone else.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8534
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:41:19 PM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »

Forget Rastafish's "table talk". In days gone by, there were players who would stare at their opponent and drive fear into their hearts. We've heard about Alekhine, but here are some others:

Mikhail Tal

Garry Kasparov, who has openly discussed his use of mind games.

Bobby Fischer

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Of all the people to give the death stare to...

OK this one has no world champions in, but points for identifying the three people in the in the picture (I only know the one watching and the one on the left...)

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »

Sensational stuff in the latest round of the Grand Slam Masters Final, as we are now in Bilbao for the second half.

It was the leader against the World Number 1, with Caruana taking on Carlsen. The Italian/American had been the victor in their game in Sao Paolo, as Carlsen had tried too hard to force an edge, despite getting it, when he blundered. This time, the position was level and looked all but drawn. Again, Carlsen pressed. Again, he found an edge but there was to be no let-up this time, with the Norwegian showing a textbook finish to the game that makes commentators’ lives tremendously easy.

The other two games were the equivalent of nil-nils, with no real movement either way.

So, Carlsen closes the gap to Caruana’s lead as we go into the next game. Carlsen will have white against the bottom seed (Vallejo-Pons), so he could be the chipleader this time tomorrow.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8538

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »

Also, any ideas on the people in the pictures above?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »

A more detailed analysis of Carlsen-Caruana is available now:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8538

The most wonderfully written prologue on this page, too; how does Carlsen tackle the fact that every player nowadays in that elite bracket has done hours of opening preparation, so advantages are hard to come by?

Today's fixtures are:

Round 7: Tuesday, October 9, 17h
Magnus Carlsen v Francisco Vallejo-Pons
Fabiano Caruana v Sergey Karjakin
Levon Aronian v Vishwanathan Anand

I am expecting Aronian v Anand to be a draw (it often is) and for Caruana-Karjakin to go the same way (after a loss, I expect Caruana to take no risks and be content to share the point). Carlsen might see this as his best chance (White against the bottom seed), so I am expecting a long game. Will he get enough to lead or will the home player score a shock victory?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »

Chap watching - kibitzing - is Gorky.

Chap on the left is Lenin.

Not sure who Mr Yawny is.

Another player I shall be profiling in the future is Mikhail Botvinnik and he was a "reg" with the Soviet Elite (if that isn't an oxymoron)

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »

Hot off the press!

Round 7 has been completed and here are the games:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8539

Incredibly, it all went as I predicted (if only this were what happens when I put money on outcomes), with Aronian and Anand never really getting going, Caruana seemingly struggling to find the sparkle he had in Brazil and sharing the point with Karjakin...and Carlsen beating Vallejo-Pons to share the lead.

Carlsen's win was a king's side attack but not the sort we see in the ferocious attacks of Tal, Shirov and the like; it is more composed but equally effective.

The modern player has tremendous calculational ability and has no fear of complicated positions that seem to offer the Villain a chance for some counterplay. That isn't how they see it, though; they are for the mostpart happy that they aren't in any danger.

Tomorrow's games could well see three draws, which is what happened in the third round in Sao Paolo. Carlsen and Karjakin often have exciting games but there is rarely a victor.

Anand is starting to get silly with his draws. There isn't much to take from his games at the moment and, for a truly gifted player, it's a shame that he isn't showing more oomph.

Here is the pic for the Bilbao leg opening ceremony. Can you remember which is which?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 09, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

Silly me! The caption of course reads: "Spain holds its first chess-themed Guess Who? Championship"

On a personal note, I have a match tomorrow night, playing as a reserve for the team above mine. There's a chance depending on board order that I could play a wildly attacking player - probably the chess equivalent of Mad Turk. Not everything he does is sound but his ability is often underestimated and any whiff of a chance for blood will be mercilessly seized.

I have two possible counter-strategies: step up to the plate and back my own ability to go toe-to-toe, engaging in a slugfest (from baseball to boxing and back again  - sorry); or to play on the counter by playing solidly and inviting him on, intending to create small weaknesses in his position which I can exploit as the game progresses.

As with poker, it is rarely a good idea to lock in your strategy beforehand in chess, although preparation is never a bad thing.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »

The games of Round 8 have yet to be reported in detail but I am aware that all three games were drawn (two sets of predictions in a row...weeeeee). So, it's as you were.

Some photos from the official site (Photos by Manu de Alba):

The anticipation is almost too much to bear for Magnus.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: