blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 07:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  True ROI of Top Players at the WSOP This year
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True ROI of Top Players at the WSOP This year  (Read 18254 times)
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »

Dan needs to look up "Cost of Capital". Only a person with effectively infinite money could rationally pay 1.49 for a <1% ROI with the variance of tournament poker.
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »

Better off backing 1.01 shots on Betfair.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »

Dan needs to look up "Cost of Capital". Only a person with effectively infinite money could rationally pay 1.49 for a <1% ROI with the variance of tournament poker.

What % of your bankroll would you stake on heads on tails if someone gave you 2/1 about predicting the correct answer?

(Obviously you know for sure it's 100% you aren't going to be cheated)

The last time I was at the Aussie Millions Roland offered m 5/4 red or black on the next flop.. What should I have bet?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »

... and risk premium in old school theory.

Buying costs should be deducted from any expected return, so that means the expected exchange costs from live poker clearly be in too.  This isn't the exchange rate movement which is a different thing.

..and grim risk should be factored in for some people.  If often somebody pays slowly, it would be reasonable to deduct for that too.

It is interesting Dan mentioned share traders, a lot of share traders wouldn't have a clue on the theory, they just "know" when to trade.  I expect Camel doesn't know the theory behind the price he quotes, just instinctively has a rough idea where it should be through experience.

Will give a better answer tomorrow.  Am up early in the morning.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »

What % of your bankroll would you stake on heads on tails if someone gave you 2/1 about predicting the correct answer?

The last time I was at the Aussie Millions Roland offered m 5/4 red or black on the next flop.. What should I have bet?

There is a definitive answer to this question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

That's good stuff.

I asked Tony Bloom the 2/1 coin flip question and his answer was 1% of his money.

Obviously the richer you are the less the utility of winning 2x your stake.

For Bill Gates the answer would probably be 0.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
skolsuper

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »

That's good stuff.

I asked Tony Bloom the 2/1 coin flip question and his answer was 1% of his money.

Yeah the mathematically correct answer (Kelly) is most likely way over what people would actually be prepared to gamble, it's sick variance. Making Kelly sized bets, you lose half your bankroll 50% of the time, so 7/8ths of your bankroll 1/8th of the time and so on, which most sensible people don't want to go through. Also, whilst underbetting kelly only has a small opportunity cost (making slightly less money than you could have on profitable bets), overbetting it leads to "gambler's ruin" and is a disaster in terms of long term expectation, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I had a friend at betfair that used Kelly/20, but he said Kelly/10 was more standard.
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »

Not interested in 1.5 100% at 1.49. I think what David is trying to get at is some point where players ROI = backers ROI so markup should be sqrt(ROI) so for 50% ROI 1.5^0.5=1.22 would be a "fair" markup. My A level maths escapes me but I think variance would still be higher for the backer here. You can use a diminishing utility function within Kelly if you cared etc.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »

That's good stuff.

Yeah the mathematically correct answer (Kelly) is most likely way over what people would actually be prepared to gamble, it's sick variance. Making Kelly sized bets, you lose half your bankroll 50% of the time, so 7/8ths of your bankroll 1/8th of the time and so on, which most sensible people don't want to go through. Also, whilst underbetting kelly only has a small opportunity cost (making slightly less money than you could have on profitable bets), overbetting it leads to "gambler's ruin" and is a disaster in terms of long term expectation, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I had a friend at betfair that used Kelly/20, but he said Kelly/10 was more standard.

Good post.  Kelly suggests in Keiths example you should bet 25% of your bankroll which may be mathematically optimal but it is most certainly not life optimal.  I have used between half and a fifth of kelly based on my confidence in certain bets, stakes etc and have been broke a few times.  I would guess something like a fifth Kelly is workable but if I had a very big roll it would be less for sure.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »

That lecture must have been on a friday of a deepstack weekend Wink

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2012, 02:16:30 AM »

I have a formula for staking, for selection of who to stake and how much to wager.

It's a sliding points system, derived from the following criteria.

1) How much do I like the person, out of 100

2) How much do I feel like he's "due" out of 100

3) How high has his morale been lately out of 100

4) Value at the price, out of 100

Anything above 325/400 is an auto buy for me. 250-325 very likely buying, if anyone has a particulally high 1) score Im often going to just buy anyways

How much to stake

1) How am I running recently - if it's 0-30 out of 100 = 3 points, 30-60 = 2 points, 60-80 = 1 point, 80-100 = 4 points

2) How Degen do I feel - 0-40 = 1 point, 40-60 = 2 points, 60-90 = 4 points, 90-100 = 7 points

3) Has the guy ever won before when I wanted to buy a piece but didn't, yes = 2 points, no = 0 points.

9-13 points = buy 3x what I can afford, 7-8 buy bigger than i should, 5 and below buy what I can afford, or maybe be a little nitty.

Pretty big loser buying pieces in tourneys lifetime, but I always get a good go for my money  Smiley

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 02:48:04 AM »

bookmarked

such a hero

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »

I have a formula for staking, for selection of who to stake and how much to wager.

Anything above 325/400 is an auto buy for me. 250-325 very likely buying, if anyone has a particulally high 1) score Im often going to just buy anyways

How much to stake

1) How am I running recently - if it's 0-30 out of 100 = 3 points, 30-60 = 2 points, 60-80 = 1 point, 80-100 = 4 points

2) How Degen do I feel - 0-40 = 1 point, 40-60 = 2 points, 60-90 = 4 points, 90-100 = 7 points

3) Has the guy ever won before when I wanted to buy a piece but didn't, yes = 2 points, no = 0 points.

9-13 points = buy 3x what I can afford, 7-8 buy bigger than i should, 5 and below buy what I can afford, or maybe be a little nitty.

Pretty big loser buying pieces in tourneys lifetime, but I always get a good go for my money  Smiley
Sad and I thought it was a waste of time getting you to put me in the one drop. I just scored massive here

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »

How much to stake

Sad and I thought it was a waste of time getting you to put me in the one drop. I just scored massive here

I would defo stake you in something as you literally smash every criteria + ive been losing lately and what a hilarious way to get out of it just sticking herbie in a live comp and collllleccccttttiiinnnnnnnng oioiiii

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »

How much to stake

I would defo stake you in something as you literally smash every criteria + ive been losing lately and what a hilarious way to get out of it just sticking herbie in a live comp and collllleccccttttiiinnnnnnnng oioiiii
Lol Ty for the vote of confidence.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: