blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273129 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130666 times)
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

I have to admit to not caring one jot about the Olympics but it struck me today that it is probably because I don't view it as something I will have a bet on.

Which is a sorry state of affairs really so I am going to do my best to watch as much as I can and hopefully become converted have a bet on it.

Fixed your post Phil. Some great betting opportunities on Olympic sports. I'm not much of a sports bettor, but I was clicking buttons on Betfair on all sorts in the middle of the night four years ago. Particular highlights being the open water swimming, where watching the women's race showed the weird camera angle they had coming up to the end (quite hard to see how far to go in open water, then all of a sudden the camera pans and you see the guy in first cannot be caught etc) and the women's BMX, where opposing the Brit at stupidly low odds in an event with numerous crashes in the early heats was happy days. There's plenty of edge there if u watch enough imo!
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

Annoys when people go "could have spent the money in a more productive manner" esp. when we're all a bunch of degen poker players who waste money everyday.

Sometimes money is there to be spent on things that we can enjoy- like sports. Even stars have changed avatars to Country's flags which has got me excited!

Lol. Annoys when people go "All"

Never wasted money before Tom?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »

For £12bn we could probably have built a lolly stick skyscraper to the Moon.

How cool would that have been?

Isn't that the amount of tax Vodafone is avoiding paying every two years in the UK?

Also the £12 billion isn't just spunked up against the wall - a large amount of it goes back into the UK economy.  Some of it doesn't of course, but there are plenty of jobs created and businesses making money because of the Olympics. It's not all bad.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:56:22 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »

Annoys when people go "could have spent the money in a more productive manner" esp. when we're all a bunch of degen poker players who waste money everyday.

Sometimes money is there to be spent on things that we can enjoy- like sports. Even stars have changed avatars to Country's flags which has got me excited!

Lol. Annoys when people go "All"

Never wasted money before Tom?

Of course, and I totally get the Olympic thing. I'm looking forward to them immensely.

I was just sayin....

The older I get, the better I was.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »

I adore the Olympic concept but in the run up I felt Locog had done it's best to ruin it for me. I have had to look at all the new laws enacted to "protect" the brand, it was all about money. The G4S debacle etc didn't make it any better.

However, I have tried to put that aside and can only say I am really rather excited it's here. I haven't got any tickets because I felt it was a rip off in many cases and now I want to join in the ones that are left are incredibly expensive. I will see some of the free stuff, such as the cycling time trials etc then throw myself into the ParaOlympics as they deserve support. I will also be able to see many of the new buildings that way.

Bring it on

Go Team GB

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »

Those mascots though. I mean, WTF?

Wenlock and Mandeville

Click to see full-size image.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »

...  and now I want to join in the ones that are left are incredibly expensive...

I picked up a Beach Volleyball ticket for £65 yesterday - I think I just got lucky on the timing, the next cheapest ticket for any sport I might actually want to watch was about £200

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »

So for those saying that the money could be spent elsewhere, you would rather UK not see massive events and spend it elsewhere and be a nothing country?

I think the best way to see how we have done here is to see what the media abroad have said about us.

It's the greatest show on earth and I for one am looking forward to seeing us do well.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

Watching the Football at the minute, but I'm not really interested at all, nor do I feel any pride at us hosting.

Also the noise made everytime the Olympic symbol goes across the screen is already very annoying.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »

Personally, I don't think football or tennis should be Olympic events.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »

Personally, I don't think football or tennis should be Olympic events.

Agree, money innit.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »

Could all the moaners fook off and start their own whinging thread about the Olympics and leave this for the positive stuff about it. Sick to the back teeth about people in this country moaning about fucking everything and we get the best event in the world and they still moan about that.

Rant over  Angry
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

Could all the moaners fook off and start their own whinging thread about the Olympics and leave this for the positive stuff about it. Sick to the back teeth about people in this country moaning about fucking everything and we get the best event in the world and they still moan about that.

Rant over  Angry

Are you moaning about what people post?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »

Rant over  Angry

Are you moaning about what people post?

Yes now fook off  Cheesy
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

Immensely looking forward to it despite not getting any tickets for the events I really wanted to see. I've even rearranged my summer holidays. I'll be glued to the Beeb all 18 days.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: