blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273129 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130688 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »

Warren Weir - yep, me neither - wins 200 heat faster than the slowing down Bolt and Blake.

Jamaica had 6 people go sub-10 in their national 100m trials and it's ridiculous how many of them could have finalled in this event.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »

Don't think there are rules to stop it are there? Can chuck people out for non trying as the badmo players were losing on purpose but I don't think you can do this lad or the cyclists for non trying.

I don't blame this guy at all.

Obviously just obeying team orders - might not get picked for GB again if he disobeys.

I just don't like the idea of having team orders in an Olympic sport.

Apparently it's a new-ish thing for triathlon, it's very unusual for there to be any kind of team in triathlon events, a lot of people don't like it because it's normally just down to individuals.

And a lot of people said it wasn't necessary for GB anyway because our front runners are so strong.

But it's just game theory in the end - the only way to stop it would be to ban it, and that might be hard to police.

Single athlete from each country solves the problem.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

Don't think there are rules to stop it are there? Can chuck people out for non trying as the badmo players were losing on purpose but I don't think you can do this lad or the cyclists for non trying.

Obviously just obeying team orders - might not get picked for GB again if he disobeys.

Apparently it's a new-ish thing for triathlon, it's very unusual for there to be any kind of team in triathlon events, a lot of people don't like it because it's normally just down to individuals.

And a lot of people said it wasn't necessary for GB anyway because our front runners are so strong.

But it's just game theory in the end - the only way to stop it would be to ban it, and that might be hard to police.

They've (apparently) stopped team orders in motor racing.

Don't follow that sport closely enough to know how well the ban has worked.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

Single athlete was introduced in cycling as an antidote to GB winning all the medals (worked well...)

All that does is prevent superstars like Hoy competing in some events

I'd rather see 2-3 per team as before

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »

stretch them out Smiley brownlee has the best run anyway...all coming together.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »

Single athlete was introduced in cycling as an antidote to GB winning all the medals (worked well...)

Am I hallucinating or did they even allow two teams in events like the Team Pursuit?

Definitely used to have two teams in the bobsleigh.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

They've (apparently) stopped team orders in motor racing.

Don't follow that sport closely enough to know how well the ban has worked.

No, team orders weren't allowed, they ARE now allowed (F1)

not allowing team orders was virtually unenforceable.

My eyes are open wide
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 07, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »

If the top 3 competitors in a sport were from the same country it wouldn't really be much of an Olympic 'test' for the others if only one of the 3 was allowed to compete.

It's almost like that with the triathlon as the 2 Brownlee's are 2 of the best.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: August 07, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

Yeah, I don't actually see it as a problem. Just added tactics & intrigue make it more interesting imo.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 07, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »

I have no problem with team orders. All part of the sport. As long as the overall objective is to win (which distinguishes it from the badminton), it's an added dimension.

You get pacemakers in the 5/10k events.

One athlete per team is the nut worst solution; not only do you end up with not having the best 10 people in the event, you still run the risk of nations supporting each other. It could be another Eurovision!

I think there should be the best X ranked competitors and then one/two/three (depending on the event) per country after that.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

Yeah, I don't actually see it as a problem. Just added tactics & intrigue make it more interesting imo.

I hate it, especially in this event.

I'm assuming no other competitors have a team mate to help them, which gives the Brownlees a huge tactical advantage.

dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

I think also, does lottery funding not rise or fall from one games to the next per sport according to success achieved

So for a sport like cycling, initial success leads to £ up leads to more success....its self sustaining

For swimming, fewer medals in 2012 leads to a cut for 2016 funding?

A shooting gold medal meanwhile transforms the £2.5m budget, I think, upwards for Rio 

Yeah Matthew Syed made this exact point on Olympics Tonight last night. He also expanded on the success breeds success point, Cycling's success means not only do they have the funds to hire top coaches, nutritionists, sports psychologists etc, but also that the top people in these fields want to be associated with the British Cycling team because they want to be associated with such a successful organisation.   
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »

I have no problem with team orders. All part of the sport. As long as the overall objective is to win (which distinguishes it from the badminton), it's an added dimension.

You get pacemakers in the 5/10k events.

One athlete per team is the nut worst solution; not only do you end up with not having the best 10 people in the event, you still run the risk of nations supporting each other. It could be another Eurovision!

I think there should be the best X ranked competitors and then one/two/three (depending on the event) per country after that.

I remember this being suggested a few years ago.

Would probably have meant about 7 Americans in the 100m final!

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »

I'm assuming no other competitors have a team mate to help them, which gives the Brownlees a huge tactical advantage.

but the other countries can also do this if they so choose?

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

but the other countries can also do this if they so choose?

Let's say GB has number 1 + 2 in the world plus als the number 10 in the world, who happens to hate the 1 and 2.

You leave out number 10 to run a pacemaker?

Hardly the Olympic ethos?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: