blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130576 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: August 09, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »

Another Gold Medal for Yorkshire.

Acidmouse won't be able to contain his joy Smiley

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Snowball

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 09, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »

Amazing scence from The XL Arena, not heard a crowd like it at any Event so far.
I wonder how the Irish managed to get so many Tickets, must have easily 80% of all Tickets.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: August 09, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »

Good interview with Amir Khan, showing some humility too "I only got a silver, she did better than me and won the gold".

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
sweet potata!

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 09, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

BBC Sport:

"Complete and utter delirium at the ExCeL as Katie Taylor pulls the last two rounds out of the bag to win the lightweight crown. I've been to Rugby World Cup finals, I've been to Wimbledon finals, I've seen Great Britain win three gold medals in 45 minutes at the Olympic Stadium - but I have never heard a noise like that."
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »

Norwegian Women's Handball Team.

Like.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »

This one was special, she comes from burmantofts in Leeds right near St James hospital. As locals know this is a low income inner city area (i went to school very close) and one of the very few things young adults can do is go along to the very famous boxing club that was attached to the huge building next to the old St Agnes high school she attended. To come from that background and fight for years when no one else was fighting to Olympic victory is mental. She is also very proud of her roots and Leeds Smiley special very happy.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »

This one was special, she comes from burmantofts in Leeds right near St James hospital. As locals know this is a low income inner city area (i went to school very close) and one of the very few things young adults can do is go along to the very famous boxing club that was attached to the huge building next to the old St Agnes high school she attended. To come from that background and fight for years when no one else was fighting to Olympic victory is mental. She is also very proud of her roots and Leeds Smiley special very happy.

She was amazing. And her smile will rightly be on the front page of every newspaper tomorrow.

Chuffed for her.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 09, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »

Rudisha - Wow!
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »

How is it I'd never heard of David Rudisha before this week - he should be as famous as Bolt.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 09, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »

Feel privileged to have witnessed that.  The roar of shock that went up from the crowd said everything about how special that was.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

A nice piece in The Guardian about Rudisha and his Irish coach Brother Colm O'Connell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/08/david-rudisha-colm-oconnell-kenya?newsfeed=true

At 8pm on Thursday , the world's attention will turn towards a tall Kenyan runner called David Rudisha. The 23-year-old Maasai is the 800m world champion and world record holder, and the closest thing there is to a shoo-in for a gold medal on the track at the 2012 Games.

The question on the lips of commentators at the start of the 800m final will almost certainly not be whether he will win, but by how much.

Sitting watching on a small, flickering television in his house in the town of Iten, high in Kenya's Rift valley, will be a 63-year-old Irish Brother.

"A few of the other athletes might come and watch it with me, or I might watch it alone," he says.

Brother Colm O'Connell first arrived in the Rift valley from Cork in 1976 on a two-year placement to teach at Iten's Catholic boarding school, St Patrick's. When the school's athletics coach returned to the UK a few months later O'Connell stepped into the vacant role.

"I had no formal coaching experience," he says. "So I just learned from the athletes."

He was a good student. Within a few years his school teams started doing well in national competitions, and in 1986 he was asked to select the Kenyan team for the first-ever World Junior Championships in Athens.

He picked nine runners, seven from his own St Patrick's school, and to his surprise they came home with nine medals, including four golds.

"It was then that I realised we had something special going on here," he says.

Three years later, in 1989, he started the first running camp in Kenya. It was in the school holidays and initially it was just for girls. "I just wanted to give athletics a bit more focus," he says.

The idea caught on, and today there are over 120 running camps in the region, housing many of the greatest distance runners on the planet.

O'Connell's camps are still going too, and it is a considered a great honour to be invited to attend one. The coach has had an incredible success rate, with about 60% of those attending his camps going on to become international athletes – among them numerous world and Olympic champions. Wherever he goes, athletes stop to talk to him and shake his hand. "He is the godfather of Kenyan running," they say.

O'Connell first spotted 14-year-old David Rudisha in 2004, running the 200m sprint at a provincial schools race. "He only came fifth," says O'Connell. "But I noticed he was a tall, elegant runner, and that he was focused, so I made a mental note to watch out for his progress."

The next year he found Rudisha doing the decathlon in another schools competition. He also found out that the schoolboy's father was Daniel Rudisha, a former 400m runner who had won a silver medal in the relay at the 1968 Olympics. O'Connell invited the young Rudisha to attend one of his training camps.

"I wasn't thinking, 'great 800m runner'. But he was a good all-round athlete, so I thought I'd give him a try."

At the end of the two-week camp O'Connell told Rudisha, who was now 15, that he'd like to see him run 800m.

"He had never run an 800m before," says O'Connell. "So I wasn't expecting anything. Then the surprise came."

As the runners set off around the track, with sheep grazing on the infield, O'Connell watched from the side. Running alongside Rudisha that day was the recently crowned Kenyan national schools 800m champion.

The track in Iten is made of dirt and the inside lane is worn down to a rutted channel that makes it hard to keep your footing. The track is also a few metres too long. And it sits on the edge of the Kerio escarpment, jutting out into the vast sky, at a lung-sapping altitude of about 2440 metres (8,000ft).

Rudisha crossed the line first. "He won," says O'Connell. "He beat the national champion. And he ran 1 minute 49.6 seconds." For those not versed in 800m times, that's remarkably quick considering his age and the conditions. And it was his first 800m race ever.

"I didn't make a big issue of it," O'Connell says. "I didn't even tell him the time." Instead, gradually, without fuss, he shifted Rudisha over to the 800m. "The rest," he says, "is history."

The two men have since formed a strong bond, and the 800m runner is one of the few athletes O'Connell has continued to coach into the senior ranks.

"Sometimes you find you just gel with someone," O'Connell tells me. "As a teenager, Rudisha made a big sacrifice to move across the country to attend a school near Iten so he could be part of our group.

"He used to come at the weekends to stay and train, and sometimes in the evenings after school. The senior athletes, Isaac Songok and Augustine Choge, used to take him off for runs into the forest. He used to love that."

In 2010 Rudisha broke the 13-year-old world 800m record twice in one week. Then, in 2011, he won his first global title at the World Athletics Championships in Daegu.

"There are three things on a global level that you can achieve in athletics," says O'Connell. "He has two of them. There is one missing. Winning the Olympics, he knows, will give him immortality."

As for O'Connell, after the race he will take his usual evening stroll to the Kerio View hotel for a drink overlooking the valley in Iten. Or, as it is now more commonly known in Kenya, the Home of Champions.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 09, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »

That is one tremendous article, thanks.

Love stories like that.

Winning Olympic golds is not all about bigger and bigger dollops of Government funding.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

I checked Wikipedia to see whose record he'd broken about 10 seconds after he crossed the line - it had already been updated with date, venue, name & new record time!

<3 Wikipedia

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 09, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »

I checked Wikipedia to see whose record he'd broken about 10 seconds after he crossed the line - it had already been updated with date, venue, name & new record time!

<3 Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800_metres_world_record_progression

SAndy
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 09, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »

osagie's time in 8th would have won the last three Olympic 800 finals!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:47:54 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: