blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130536 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »

I agree with the Camel's athletics viewpoint

5 medals, hopefully Farah for 6 and an outside chance of Dobriskey for 7

Lots of athletes underperformed, injured during competition, crumbled under the pressure below the successful headlines of last Saturday

Some bright spots, Osagie, Lawrence Clarke etc but the depth of performance has been disappointing

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 10, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

Tyler Hamilton stripped of his 2004 gold medal because of doping. Not a massive surprise but now means team sky - and Aussie - rider Michael Rogers gets a bronze.

Doubt this will affect the Armstrong case but interesting news

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

As much as I love the GB swimming team the results were more than disappointing. Although more finals were made than Beijing, swimmers did not race to potential, with a few exceptions.

A cut in funding may not be such a bad thing. A smaller team for Rio, with a more focused approach to the selected elite.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

Tyler Hamilton stripped of his 2004 gold medal because of doping. Not a massive surprise but now means team sky - and Aussie - rider Michael Rogers gets a bronze.

Another of Armstrong's inner circle admits doping! No surprise

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

I think one journalist got it right - Mohammad could win the whole thing - but it still wouldn't prove it was a good choice, it would probably just show that Cook would have won it more easily. (I'd add - but he probably won't )

This is such a huge logic fail.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

I think one journalist got it right - Mohammad could win the whole thing - but it still wouldn't prove it was a good choice, it would probably just show that Cook would have won it more easily. (I'd add - but he probably won't )

lol - no it isn't. If he wins the governing body will probably successfully spin it as proving they were right. But it just means that if they were both in he'd have come second to Cook (obviously it wouldn't turn out that way but I don't think it's too hard of an abstract concept to comprehend)

Out of interest I had a look at some martial arts forums and the responses on there are completely 1 sided towards Cook. The consensus in 'there' world seems to be that Mohammad is fine in himself - but they'd quite like him to go out early because they don't want the WTF (or is it TKD? whoever made the decision) to get off the hook.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:47:18 PM by Jon MW » Logged

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

Have I missed them or have zero competitors been caught for drug offences in this Olympics?

A couple were removed from competitions before the start, but I can't recall anything since then.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »

lol - no it isn't. If he wins the governing body will probably successfully spin it as proving they were right. But it just means that if they were both in he'd have come second to Cook (obviously it wouldn't turn out that way but I don't think it's too hard of an abstract concept to comprehend)

Out of interest I had a look at some martial arts forums and the responses on there are completely 1 sided towards Cook. The consensus in 'there' world seems to be that Mohammad is fine in himself - but they'd quite like him to go out early because they don't want the WTF to get off the hook.

What was the reason given for not picking Cook?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Idowo said he wasnt funded by grants and has paid his own way for the last three years, not that it makes that much difference overall

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

Out of interest I had a look at some martial arts forums and the responses on there are completely 1 sided towards Cook. The consensus in 'there' world seems to be that Mohammad is fine in himself - but they'd quite like him to go out early because they don't want the WTF to get off the hook.

What was the reason given for not picking Cook?

Primarily that olympics point scoring will favour Mohammad - more points for head shots and he's taller - unless other people can find something else - that's all I've seen

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »

"

Have I missed them or have zero competitors been caught for drug offences in this Olympics?

A couple were removed from competitions before the start, but I can't recall anything since then.

No cyclists.

Think there were a handful of others in the early days, although they might have been the results of tests from a couple of weeks before the games.

That is unless you count the Steve Cram test of "that chap is running more quickly than I've seen before"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:41:22 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »

Conte, the Balco villian, has said that 60% of athletics competitors are "at it" and the testers are not even close to detecting what they are taking these days

Obviously he is a discredited person in the sport though, and has an axe to grind

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2185691/London-2012-Olympics-60-cent-athletes-using-drugs-claims-disgraced-supplier.html

Olympic samples are kept for 8 years post event and tested annually after the event the aim being that any wrongdoing is caught afterwards as newer doping agents are discovered by the testers
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:13:04 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »

You do realise that your bit in bold is exactly my point.  If Muhammed wins gold it really doesn't mean Cook would have won gold, never mind won it more easily.  It isn't that I don't understand what you and the journalist are saying, I just know that it is logically flawed.

Barcelona are better than Manchester United, Manchester United are better than Chelsea, therefore if Barcelona played Chelsea they would walk it, plus numerous other examples througout sporting history. 

I am done with this

Cliffs
Cook is probably better than Muhammed.
There effectively isn't 50 odd ranking positions between them, as Muhammed fought at a higher weight at the European championships and won, resulting in an improvement to his ranking position to 7 in that weight.
Did the selectors pick the wrong man? Probably, but it isn't as clear cut as originally appeared.
Do the new rules favour Muhammed?  Maybe, but that doesn't mean that would make him a better pick than Cook (Nor does it mean he is a worse pick either FWIW)
If Muhammed wins, does this mean Cook would have won gold?  No
If Muhammed loses his next fight, does this mean Cook would have won gold? No

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

The Olympic rule is if you pick someone of B standard (time ) you can't pick anyone of A standard

They chose Sharp at B who won the trials and left 3 A standards at home as a result, the A standards like Meadows hadn't performed well in 2012 or had been injured

Very controversial, but clearly a very tough decision to have to make

There were 4 women who had made the A standard. 

I think the correct decision would be to realise that a situation has arisen that has shown that you do not have a good rule.  You should then hold an EGM* to change the rule.   Then pick Sharp and two others. 

* or whatever the equivalent is

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »

The Olympic rule is if you pick someone of B standard (time ) you can't pick anyone of A standard

They chose Sharp at B who won the trials and left 3 A standards at home as a result, the A standards like Meadows hadn't performed well in 2012 or had been injured

Very controversial, but clearly a very tough decision to have to make

There were 4 women who had made the A standard. 

I think the correct decision would be to realise that a situation has arisen that has shown that you do not have a good rule.  You should then hold an EGM* to change the rule.   Then pick Sharp and two others. 

* or whatever the equivalent is

It's an Olympic/IOC rule not a UK Athletics rule though? Or am I wrong?

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: