blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Just how good will the Olympics be?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how good will the Olympics be?  (Read 130656 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »

Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday i went to Olympic badminton,boxing and basketball and it was a truly wonderful experience.  The atmosphere was wonderful, everything ran smoothly and sport was exciting especially with Lithuania running the USA mens hoops superstars close and I was, of course, ridiculously excited to finally secure some tickets for the athletics although I felt every so slightly as though I was getting shafted a bit paying £295 for each ticket but nothing, absolutely nothing could have prepared me for last night.  I have been to sporting events all over the world and seen my little football team (a team I have watched home and away for 25+ years) come back from a 3 goal deficit twice in a fortnight to reach the UEFA cup final yet last night was so far and away the best sporting experience of my life.  

The scene was set as we walked into the park and ran into an entourage featuring Theresa May basically pushing their way through the crowds and looking somewhat overly self important yet a lot of noise was being made towards someone at the back of the group where the minor civil servants and aides were when i noticed it was Seb Coe people shouting thank you at him and to a person he looked at every individual and said thank you for coming and how much he appreciated it.  As a bit of a leftie I generally don't want to like Lord Coe but the job he and the others have done in putting these games on has been nothing short of sensational and despite having probably 50k people between him and stadium at this point yesterday I am convinced if everybody on the way had thanked him he would have stopped and thanked everyone of them for coming even if it meant he was there until 4am.  A true class act.

We were there about two hours before the action was due to start but despite wandering about aimlessely for twenty minutes or so neither me nor my Dad could wait to get into the stadium so in a way that was reminiscent of when my dad first used to take me to watch Middlesbrough and we used to stand outside and get the players autographs then go in as soon as the gates opened and sit watching the place fill up.  The stadium is amazing and although i was slightly surprised that our Cat B tickets were very high up to be honest I am not sure there could be any really bad seats in the whole place and we had a great head on view of the final straight.  The javelin and womens High jump kicked off and it was all building nicely for the main event in most peoples eyes.....Mo.....TBC

eagerly waiting for part 2 of this trip report.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

Yes me too.....
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:37 AM »

Redarmi a leftie??? Can't but help liking his work here tho Smiley
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:54:06 PM by smashedagain » Logged

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1113 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

The Telegraph's 50 best images of London 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9469714/The-50-best-images-of-the-London-2012-Olympic-Games.html

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1114 on: August 14, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »

Some crackers there, the synchronized swimmers one is great
Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: August 14, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »

Grab yourself some London 2012 memorabilia

http://memorabilia.london2012.com/iSynApp/allAuction.action?sid=1100443&rc=18&pgmode1=auctionLanding

I like the flags, but no bargains likely  Sad

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

LOL @ the one that's missing:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9469714/The-50-best-images-of-the-London-2012-Olympic-Games.html?frame=2308926

Just for Keith Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »

It doesn't exist!!!

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »

Clearly gives him a crafty kick in the knackers as he shakes.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »

Few pics from the triathlon  Smiley

Can't say enough about how good the volunteers were, they were really fun, friendly and helpful. They really didn't overegg the praise that was given on TV by Lord Coe and the BBC etc.

Click to see full-size image.

Got to Buck Palace less than an hour before the start and its wasn't that busy tbh, easy game  Smiley

Do you think the policeman is a fan of Wiggo?  Grin

Thirsty work all that, time for a poofs cocktail  Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:34:28 PM by Woodsey » Logged
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

Last Thursday, Friday and Saturday i went to Olympic badminton,boxing and basketball and it was a truly wonderful experience.  The atmosphere was wonderful, everything ran smoothly and sport was exciting especially with Lithuania running the USA mens hoops superstars close and I was, of course, ridiculously excited to finally secure some tickets for the athletics although I felt every so slightly as though I was getting shafted a bit paying £295 for each ticket but nothing, absolutely nothing could have prepared me for last night.  I have been to sporting events all over the world and seen my little football team (a team I have watched home and away for 25+ years) come back from a 3 goal deficit twice in a fortnight to reach the UEFA cup final yet last night was so far and away the best sporting experience of my life.  

The scene was set as we walked into the park and ran into an entourage featuring Theresa May basically pushing their way through the crowds and looking somewhat overly self important yet a lot of noise was being made towards someone at the back of the group where the minor civil servants and aides were when i noticed it was Seb Coe people shouting thank you at him and to a person he looked at every individual and said thank you for coming and how much he appreciated it.  As a bit of a leftie I generally don't want to like Lord Coe but the job he and the others have done in putting these games on has been nothing short of sensational and despite having probably 50k people between him and stadium at this point yesterday I am convinced if everybody on the way had thanked him he would have stopped and thanked everyone of them for coming even if it meant he was there until 4am.  A true class act.

We were there about two hours before the action was due to start but despite wandering about aimlessely for twenty minutes or so neither me nor my Dad could wait to get into the stadium so in a way that was reminiscent of when my dad first used to take me to watch Middlesbrough and we used to stand outside and get the players autographs then go in as soon as the gates opened and sit watching the place fill up.  The stadium is amazing and although i was slightly surprised that our Cat B tickets were very high up to be honest I am not sure there could be any really bad seats in the whole place and we had a great head on view of the final straight.  The javelin and womens High jump kicked off and it was all building nicely for the main event in most peoples eyes.....Mo.....TBC

eagerly waiting for part 2 of this trip report.

i came on to look for part 2. come on.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »

My fave moment from the whole thing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19124775
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 17, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

Yes that was brilliant. I love watching sports where the end result is slap bang in the middle of ecstatic relief and unmitigated exhaustion.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

Nice story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19304956

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

Apologies for the delay in this...been a bit ill this week.....

So anyway I knew Mo Farah was on the track before I spotted him because the roar was so loud.  Even thinking about it now send shivers down my spine.  The only thing I can compare the roar at the start of the race with is the roar at the start of the first race at Cheltenham.  I am sure everyone saw the race on TV but it was remarkable in that the noise seemed to follow the runners and in particular Mo around the stadium as they passed.  With about 5-6 laps to go Mo decided to take it up and in 50 yards went from last to first and I thought the roof was going to come off the stadium and from there onwards the noise was all around the stadium and just got louder and louder......by this point I think I wanted him to win more than I had wanted any sporting outcome before but it just felt as though someone was going to come past him then there just came a point with about 200 metres to go when you knew they wouldn't pass him and the stadium just erupted.  I was at Middlesbrough on both occasions when we came back from 3 goals down to get to the semi and final of the UEFA Cup in the last minute and never thought anything would surpass that but this did.  It was just the best experience of my life and it wasn't just me.  It was wonderful to see my dad jumping up and down and just showing unbridled joy at what he was seeing and in many ways that made the whole experience for me and this from a man who looked slightly embarrassed when I jumped on him when Boro won the Carling Cup.  The rest of the night was a bit of a blur but the general goodwill of the crowd was amazing and as someone with strong links to the Caribbean it was really great to see Keshorn Walcott win the javelin but the night was just topped off by the 4x100m relay with Bolt doing the Mobot as he passed the line and broke the WR.  They then kept us waiting and waiting and waiting for the medal ceremony by putting every other ceremony first but nobody left and when Mo came back out it was just incredible all over again.  As we filed out of the stadium they then did a really great interview with Mo and Usain Bolt which just topped the night off.  As we walked away I have to admit I felt a tiny bit flat in that way that you do when you know something will never be that good again.  Amazing experience.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: