blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272946 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  That old guy stole my future (and other animals)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That old guy stole my future (and other animals)  (Read 12695 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »

Ur dreaming if you think it's that easy to switch jobs.

Nobody said its easy but it can be done.

but if the housing is still unaffordable that takes away the point.

It makes perfect sense for the unemployed, and I'd generally see it as an excuse when people can't find any work - but the combination of how hard it is to switch jobs (when a geographical switch is involved in particular) plus the fact that it would most likely just make going from renting to housing only slightly easier - but still out of reach - suggests that this line of argument was just a bit of a red herring.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »

It can also not be done. I work for the national careers service and we deal with people daily who are qualified, intelligent, hard working people who are looking for any kind of work they can. They just cannot get a job.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »

but if the housing is still unaffordable that takes away the point.

It makes perfect sense for the unemployed, and I'd generally see it as an excuse when people can't find any work - but the combination of how hard it is to switch jobs (when a geographical switch is involved in particular) plus the fact that it would most likely just make going from renting to housing only slightly easier - but still out of reach - suggests that this line of argument was just a bit of a red herring.

Not at all, people can easily do it. They might not be able to do it next month or within 6 months, but within a couple of years it can easily be done. In the whole scheme of life that isn't a massive amount of time to wait. I've moved jobs and areas 3 times, was a piece of piss, some people just don't have the balls to crack on with it and would rather sit around and moan than try and change their life if its not working out where they are.

And I've already said there is tons of affordable housing around the country, if £80k isn't affordable I don't know what is. Have a look on right move if you don't believe me, shit loads here in the east mids and its not an especially cheap area.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:28:20 PM by Woodsey » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »

It can also not be done. I work for the national careers service and we deal with people daily who are qualified, intelligent, hard working people who are looking for any kind of work they can. They just cannot get a job.

Well I know people who are out of work too, getting a job is not a problem for them, their problem is they don't want to take the jobs that are offered, they think they are too good for them. They then moan that immigrants are taking the jobs they don't want to do, they can't have it both ways.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »

Well I know people who are out of work too, getting a job is not a problem for them, their problem is they don't want to take the jobs that are offered, they think they are too good for them. They then moan that immigrants are taking the jobs they don't want to do, they can't have it both ways.

I'm sure you're replying to a specific point, but it's not just the low-skilled end of the market that is finding it hard.

I had a good job, with good progression, an excellent salary and great terms. The company closed and all staff were made redundant. I spent three months signing on (which was little short of humiliating, standing amongst people in inner city Birmingham who had neither desire nor interest in doing a day's work - whether they were the architects of their misfortune or the victims of circumstance is another debate), while doing everything I could to get back into work.

I went on CV writing courses and interview training, put my CV out to agencies, contacted recruitment companies for advice and went every two weeks to be patronised and drilled by a suit in a thankless job at the Job Centre.

I eventually found a job in the same sector, at a lower level, for a lot less money than I was on, longer hours and less favourable terms.

The point I'm making is it is easy for people to say "you could have cleaned toilets for £6 an hour" but that's not going to pay the mortgage for everyone. Times are hard for everyone and it's important to keep that in mind sometimes

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »

^ I know that mate, we are going through a tough period, but the good times will come back eventually. But referring this back to the original topic, I think people are just using the current tough times to blame others.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »

That's a fair comment, Woodsey

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »

Just had cream tea at Wimbledon, yah.

Just wish you old sods didn't steal our sunshine.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »

So much fail in this thread.

I hope you're right Woodsey and the economic crisis really is all a mirage.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »

So much fail in this thread.

I hope you're right Woodsey and the economic crisis really is all a mirage.

No mirage, but let's hope it improves sooner rather than later  Smiley
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

I'm in the camp of there is a big difference in those who 'want' to work and those who 'NEED' to work.

2008 arrived back in UK with nothing, had a job within 48 hours, 4 years down the line I am still working (3 different jobs in that time) I will never own property in the UK again but then thats not my goal.

Just my experience of the current state of play. I do feel for the younger generation but I also believe that many of them do feel they are 'owed' everything rather than having to go out and get it for themselves.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »

I think that there is a monumental difference between feeling like you are 'owed' something and feeling that you should be able to start where the previous generation left off, which was true of every other generation before this one.

Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »

I must've have written out a dozen replies over the day and have just thought better of it.  Arguments/discussions can get personal real fast and I will take it personally.

Only thing I'll add;
This is a ridiculously tilting thread.  I couldn't find a facepalming pic or gif worthy of the thread.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:35:08 PM by Alverton » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »

I'm a big believer in change the things you can change and accept the things you can't.

Just be grateful for what you do have and get on with it instead of than wasting your time blaming someone for 'Stealing your future'

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »

The lighting of the flame may just be the best thing ever. At a time when, economically, the youth have been robbed of their futures by the old, it was symbolic to have the old Olympians pass their chance to lit the flame on to the young.

I'm a big believer in change the things you can change and accept the things you can't.

Just be grateful for what you do have and get on with it instead of than wasting your time blaming someone for 'Stealing your future'

yeah Andrew stop this constant moaning and blaming, then Red Dog wouldn't have to be such a hater at the younger generation

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: