blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Apple iMac family / MacBook Pro or air vs std laptop
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apple iMac family / MacBook Pro or air vs std laptop  (Read 896 times)
Waz1892

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »

Help!!

Need new laptop.
Always been Microsoft/windows

Looked at 2 laptops
Samsung 550p7c or Lenovo 580z

Then was shown the apple iMac family desktop

My head hurts....

Samsung £899 mac £999

Carpe Diem
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »

Used a Windows machine all my life. Been using a Mac book pro for 5 months.....hate it because I just can't be bothered to relearn.

Basic differences are these. The world and his dog attack windows software with viruses. Nobody can be arsed to do that to a mac so much safer from virus.
keyboard is much better on a Mac than anything else I have ever used.
Apple want you to play in their "sandbox". Do it their way or they make it hard for you to do anything. Try and dump your songs from an iPod onto a new machine etc.

I want to be able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want and I don't give a monkeys how pretty my inanimate pc looks. Go for the Samsung personally

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »

Used a Windows machine all my life. Been using a Mac book pro for 5 months.....hate it because I just can't be bothered to relearn.

Basic differences are these. The world and his dog attack windows software with viruses. Nobody can be arsed to do that to a mac so much safer from virus.
Apple want you to play in their "sandbox". Do it their way or they make it hard for you to do anything. Try and dump your songs from an iPod onto a new machine etc.

I want to be able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want and I don't give a monkeys how pretty my inanimate pc looks. Go for the Samsung personally

I generally agree with this - I pretty much have always used windows, but I have had to use Macs on a number of occasions. I don't think Mac's are anywhere near as intuitive to learn as windows - so it's not just about laziness.

I'd disagree about the keyboard though - only because the Mac keyboards (I've used -  are all Mac keyboards the same?) have all only got symbols on. I like the 'normal' keyboard which has handy hints like the words 'home' 'end' etc. I don't really want to learn what all the symbols mean (that might just be laziness.

I think you'd need a very compelling reason to buy the mac - and I don't think how they look is one.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

I generally agree with this - I pretty much have always used windows, but I have had to use Macs on a number of occasions. I don't think Mac's are anywhere near as intuitive to learn as windows - so it's not just about laziness.

I'd disagree about the keyboard though - only because the Mac keyboards (I've used -  are all Mac keyboards the same?) have all only got symbols on. I like the 'normal' keyboard which has handy hints like the words 'home' 'end' etc. I don't really want to learn what all the symbols mean (that might just be laziness.

I think you'd need a very compelling reason to buy the mac - and I don't think how they look is one.

and to add that there are new viruses weekly aimed at macs.

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: