blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Darts Betting and discussion
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darts Betting and discussion  (Read 493575 times)
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Tal does make some valid points, it's not a job I'd fancy doing.

Personally speaking I much prefer the ITV coverage these days to Sky (when they employ decent spotters that is). Mason is very good and improving and Warriner isn't too bad either. Rawling does a decent enough job as well considering he's not really a darts fan.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

Not to do with topic but

If you enjoy good analysis Freddie Flintoff is doing a brilliant job on the big bash this morning...

Learning something rather than stating the obvious
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »

Darts is, IMO, probably the most difficult sport to commentate on

- People know the first 6-12 darts are aimed at 60, 57 and 54
- People can hear the caller do the arithmetic for them (the louder and longer the better)
- When it comes to a checkout, the series appears in the bottom right, so people can follow that)
- The camera generally focuses on the bit they're aiming at, so, like golf, it's either in or out
- Unlike golf, there are no conditions to tell us about that we can't see
- It's quickly repetitive, so, twenty legs into the night, saying things that are new is tricky
- In the PDC era especially, there is a pressure to fill the silences with hugely enthusiastic noises (if you've ever been to watch the darts - sober - it's really quite boring as you get very little of the above, can't see anything and there's no one telling you what's going on so you end up watching on a telly without the commentary and standing up for the ad break song). It's not like in, say, tennis or snooker, where you can allow the audience to enjoy the sport for a bit. It's bright lights, blaring music, skimpily clad, overly made-up walk-on girls, big, sweaty blokes in massive, flowery shirts and a fancy-dressed audience absolutely off their faces on lager. The commentators have to follow suit.

Sid Waddell was unique, but, as he was in pool, he had a wingman to fill in with the more on-message stuff. I like Mardle, personally, and whilst I'm not a huge fan of the rest particularly, I do have some sympathy for them. I think they're in a difficult position, where the ghost of a great still walks the halls. I'm pleased none of them has tried to fill the gap and that's what Mardle does pretty well: it's a Mardle Korma to the Waddell Phaal, that's designed to taste like a curry but is obviously designed to be different, too.

Out of interest, if you could take any commentator from any sport and train them in the technical aspects of darts, who would you have on sky tonight?

Very good post.

The phrase "less is more" comes to mind. Just shut up and let us watch unless you have something useful to add.

The one man I'd like to hear having a bash at darts is Mike Carlsen (CH4 NFL man), who is the best analyst on any sport bar far IMO.

Doesn't treat the audience like idiots, tell us interesting stuff, is funny without being patronising and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of his sport (but doesn't use it to show off).

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: December 19, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

Why do TV companies use as many former pros as possible as analysts on sport?

Alan Shearer was unquestionably one of the best strikers of my lifetime.

But equally unquestionably he is one of the worst analysts on any sport.

Just because you are good at one, doesn't mean you'll be good at the other.

Richard Langley was a QPR midfielder of the early 2000s. I follow him on Twitter.

He is intelligent, funny and opinionated. I think he would be an excellent pundit on football programmes.

But he's a million to one to ever get the chance because SKY and BBC would rather wheel out Carragher, Shearer, Gullit, Souness, Redknapp et al because everyone has heard of them.

I like Thierry Henry, fantastic player, nice guy. But to pay him £4 mill per year to describe what has happened on a football field is a borderline criminal waste of money.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »

Richard Langley was a QPR midfielder of the early 2000s. I follow him on Twitter.

He is intelligent, funny and opinionated. I think he would be an excellent pundit on football programmes.

But he's a million to one to ever get the chance because SKY and BBC would rather wheel out Carragher, Shearer, Gullit, Souness, Redknapp et al because everyone has heard of them.

I like Thierry Henry, fantastic player, nice guy. But to pay him £4 mill per year to describe what has happened on a football field is a borderline criminal waste of money.

Click to see full-size image.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: December 19, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »

I think you have reasoned it out for yourself there Keith.

People like to hear from their heroes. Your QPR man may be all you say he is, but most wouldn't give him the time of day, because he is a lesser stripped QPR former player.

I agree, £4m a year for Henry is a scandal. He must have a great agent, or whoever signed him must be in on the coup. But the reality is, he has a name that people want to hear opinions from, and will switch onto out of interest, at least.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: December 19, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »

Funnily enough I like Kammy and love Soccer Saturday - especially Merson.

I think it's because they don't take themselves too seriously and are prepared to laugh at themselves.

It's the ones who think their opinions are gospel that get my goat - like Rod Harrington and Alan Shearer.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

I think you have reasoned it out for yourself there Keith.

People like to hear from their heroes. Your QPR man may be all you say he is, but most wouldn't give him the time of day, because he is a lesser stripped QPR former player.

I agree, £4m a year for Henry is a scandal. He must have a great agent, or whoever signed him must be in on the coup. But the reality is, he has a name that people want to hear opinions from, and will switch onto out of interest, at least.

I would not agree its a "scandal", good luck to him, but yes, people will want to see him & hear his views, & I can think of few better suited to the role. He is immensely popular, & from what I have seen & heard, comes across wonderfully on TV.

Great signing, I thought.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: December 19, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »

That's the terrible thing, Camel: I much prefer soccer saturday to final score. If I were sitting there, watching the games with them, I reckon it'd be a great day, my sides would be aching and I probably wouldn't even mention that it's ridiculous they don't know who all the players are.

But, alas, they are primarily there to tell us - their hungry audience - what is going on in the football matches their broadcaster doesn't have the rights to show live in our country. They have 10-20 seconds to give us a description of an incident (goal, penalty appeal, sending off, offside) and how often are you left feeling you know what has happened?

What you really need for that job is radio commentators, not the excitable bloke in the pub.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: December 19, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

That's the terrible thing, Camel: I much prefer soccer saturday to final score. If I were sitting there, watching the games with them, I reckon it'd be a great day, my sides would be aching and I probably wouldn't even mention that it's ridiculous they don't know who all the players are.

But, alas, they are primarily there to tell us - their hungry audience - what is going on in the football matches their broadcaster doesn't have the rights to show live in our country. They have 10-20 seconds to give us a description of an incident (goal, penalty appeal, sending off, offside) and how often are you left feeling you know what has happened?

What you really need for that job is radio commentators, not the excitable bloke in the pub.

What?

Don't start me off on Alan "Know It All" Green, please, or I'll need to go buy one of those critics armchairs with rear view mirrors & everything.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

What?

Don't start me off on Alan "Know It All" Green, please, or I'll need to go buy one of those critics armchairs with rear view mirrors & everything.

I think I'm the only person I know that thinks Alan Green is an excellent commentator.

Give me Green any day over Clive Tildsley or Martin Tyler.

I'm obviously a contrarian.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: December 19, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »

I don't mind Green particularly. I can take or leave it, but he does describe well.

But I mean in the sense that they're used to commentating in a medium where their audience can't see what they see.

Imagine commentating on something like poker on the radio. Some people would just tell you the cards and the bet-pot-stack sizes (let's say the elite online pros), but the best commentators would tell you everything and paint a picture of the way the players were dressed, their body movement, that the last, unexpected raise would have "scythed him down from his high horse" and so on. You'd feel like you were there. That's part of what makes the staring competition sketch so magnificent.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »

Agree with Camel.

If I'm driving home, and its footy on I always am pleased to hear Greens voice, yet because of all the bad press he gets, I'm almost looking to dislike him, but I can't. Solid, reliable and nicely excitable, perfect for that drive home.

Same with Kammy. Always pleased when its over to him. Life's too short to be serious all the time. Give me the fun time frankies any day.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »

Turned into a decent debate this, the thing that mostly comes across to me and I think we mostly all agree is we don't mind a bit of japes but we want our commentators to be on point and instead of stating the bloody obvious we want them to give us a proper analysis of what's going on.  Sometimes just let the pictures do the taling the way Ted Lowe did in Snooker.  Also echo Camel in that I love Mike Carlsen, the guy just oozes class. 

What of my pet peeves when watching Scottish Football is  how bad the commentators are, in all my years of watching football whether it be Sky/Terrestrial I feel badly let down.   Its such a shameful list of people we have let loose on our game. 

I also think paying Henry £4million a year is crminal because these costs are passed back to the consumer, and despte the fact he may well be very good - and having listened to him during the World Cup he definitely is - I don't think £4 million a year is value for money. 
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: December 19, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »

Turned into a decent debate this, the thing that mostly comes across to me and I think we mostly all agree is we don't mind a bit of japes but we want our commentators to be on point and instead of stating the bloody obvious we want them to give us a proper analysis of what's going on.  Sometimes just let the pictures do the taling the way Ted Lowe did in Snooker.  Also echo Camel in that I love Mike Carlsen, the guy just oozes class. 

What of my pet peeves when watching Scottish Football is  how bad the commentators are, in all my years of watching football whether it be Sky/Terrestrial I feel badly let down.   Its such a shameful list of people we have let loose on our game. 

I also think paying Henry £4million a year is crminal because these costs are passed back to the consumer, and despte the fact he may well be very good - and having listened to him during the World Cup he definitely is - I don't think £4 million a year is value for money. 

I think Clive Everton was streets ahead of Ted Lowe in that department.

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 236 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: