blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Di matteo sacked!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Di matteo sacked!!!!  (Read 4247 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

Chelsea 7 managers in 8 years = 8 trophies

Arsenal 1 manager in 8 years = 0 trophies.

Kinds debunks the myth that stability equals success, doesn't it?

Stability only equals success if you have the best manager ever in British football and unlimited resources.

Sums up the state of the PL (and top-level football across a wider scale) perfectly.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »

Stability only equals success if you have the best manager ever in British football and unlimited resources.

Sums up the state of the PL (and top-level football across a wider scale) perfectly.

Still, if I had to choose, I'd rather be an Arsenal supporter than a Chelsea fan.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »

Still, if I had to choose, I'd rather be an Arsenal supporter than a Chelsea fan.

As long as Ian Wright is expunged from the club's history.

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

These are just outliers, surely? The trend is surely fewer management changes correlates with higher success.

Plus, I think you could argue that success is dependant on what club you manage (or what your budget is). Success for say West Brom is to stay in the Premier League. Success for Man Utd is to win at least a double. It's a different criteria. Given the money Everton has, I'd say David Moyes is highly successful manager, but he's won 0 trophies.

I reckon if you plot a graph with budget along the x axis, average league position for the last 5 years along the y axis, and highlighted all of the clubs having changed their managers once or not at all, they'd cluster better.

This trend is not a huge shock after all- why would you sack a successful manager? You only generally sack a manager after they've lost lots of games.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

As long as Ian Wright is expunged from the club's history.

Has he got previous for thuggery?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

These are just outliers, surely? The trend is surely fewer management changes correlates with higher success.

Plus, I think you could argue that success is dependant on what club you manage (or what your budget is). Success for say West Brom is to stay in the Premier League. Success for Man Utd is to win at least a double. It's a different criteria. Given the money Everton has, I'd say David Moyes is highly successful manager, but he's won 0 trophies.

I reckon if you plot a graph with budget along the x axis, average league position for the last 5 years along the y axis, and highlighted all of the clubs having changed their managers once or not at all, they'd cluster better.

This trend is not a huge shock after all- why would you sack a successful manager? You only generally sack a manager after they've lost lots of games.

By any criteria, the last 8 years at Arsenal have been a dismal failure.

A decent argument could be made that they are the second biggest club in England.

They have had one manager in the Abramovich era at Chelsea and zero trophies.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »

A decent argument could be made that they are the second biggest club in England.

Although Arsenal have now got a state-of-the-art stadium which is pretty-much paid for.

It may have been paid partially by us not winning a trophy recently but the club is on a sound financial footing for the forseeable future and there are not many who can make that claim.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »

Although Arsenal have now got a state-of-the-art stadium which is pretty-much paid for.

It may have been paid partially by us not winning a trophy recently but the club is on a sound financial footing for the forseeable future and there are not many who can make that claim.

I thought the aim of football clubs was to win stuff, not to be "on a sound financial footing for the forseeable future"

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

Surely there is a balance here.  Would rather my club was around for the forseeable future than won trophies.  You can spend fortunes and still not win anything or win a cup or two and end up like Pompey, Leeds etc

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »

Surely there is a balance here.  Would rather my club was around for the forseeable future than won trophies.  You can spend fortunes and still not win anything or win a cup or two and end up like Pompey, Leeds etc

Of course, but it's hardly a brag that your club isn't run by a bunch of feckless neerdowells.

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

Of course, but it's hardly a brag that your club isn't run by a bunch of feckless neerdowells.

It is in British football at the moment.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »

Pepe refusing to budge from his self-given holiday, so i guess Rafa until the summer. Pepe then walks in?!

Rafa will be back in the frame in the perm, working with an agenda, and CFC don't commit to any long term contract with the view to bringing on Pepe when he gets back into Football.

Carpe Diem
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »

Both/either will be a bust at Chelsea imo.

Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »

talk sport confirming rafa done until end of season

Carpe Diem
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »

Great manager. Don't think it's a great fit though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: