blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Tournament sb opening ranges
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tournament sb opening ranges  (Read 1043 times)
muckthenuts

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »

This is something i'm really rusty on. Anyone care to share some general thoughts?

Say in a rush tournament and we're readless:

Blinds 75/150 no antes

Folds round to us in the SB with 4,000
BB has 4,000

Whats your opening range in this spot, then how does this change if effective stack is 3,000?

judgedredd13

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »

rush is a bit more difficult as you have less information about villain in big blind as you are constantly getting new players etc but Ill share my thoughts with general mtt bvb situations. Obvious things to look at, reads on villain. Is he tricky?? plays very fit or fold?? is he going to get stubborn and call us down alot or put us in gross spots etc etc Like most situations in poker its not black or white i.e I must always open this hand with this stack depth etc. When effective stacks are 40bb+ i open too 2.5x. I dont really have any solid math behind this or anything its just what Ive kinda gone with and been told by people i respect so Ive never really questioned it, more shallow than this and I prefer to minraise.
If i think the button tends to call alot and wont give up easily it makes sense to start with a narrower range than versus someone more passive. The kinda hands I want in this range are going to be obviously strong hands but not only them but connecting cards/ suited gappers etc etc. Hands where I can bet flops and turn draws and continue too barrel that are going to play alot better out of position than big card little card combos where I am just going to be making pairs or check folding turns.
Versus someone I thought was passive nitty fish that is going to play extremely honest Its fine too open any two and Im sure you will show a good profit on it.  Ive been experimenting with limping in V certain villains too. I mean great spots that most people know about are crappy ax hands or small pairs etc that on a 30bb stack u dont want to raise call off with but by limping u can limp rejam over a bb raise so it play alot nicer this way. By havign this range and with everyone being a reg these days and expecting the limp shove off 30bb Ive been able to limp versus alot of less aggro players with a bucnh of my weaker holdings and stab at alot of pots and show a profit. reading that back aload of that might be drivel but maybe some of it was ok haha.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »

Good stuff man
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

I think you have to have to have literally no respect for someones poker game to min-raise from the SB. When people do it to me 35+bb deep I literally just call best part of every hand I have lol and I feel like I do ok with it as well.

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

I agree, anyone who min raises 30bb deep bvb Im pretty confident if your a competent player you can defend any 2 and show a profit long term. 2.5x bvb ftw.

It changes if they have <15bb in the bb and they have to shove or fold their entire range. You can now min raise any 2 and show a substantial profit

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »

I agree, anyone who min raises 30bb deep bvb Im pretty confident if your a competent player you can defend any 2 and show a profit long term. 2.5x bvb ftw.

It changes if they have <15bb in the bb and they have to shove or fold their entire range. You can now min raise any 2 and show a substantial profit

2.15 / 2.35 / 2.55

dem buttons Wink
The Squid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

People are defending way wider so i'm raising a tighter range of hands these days and i've ncreased my sizing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: