blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  PC skills - RAM overload
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC skills - RAM overload  (Read 2205 times)
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »

I'm normally pretty good with self managing my pc and have a reasonable grasp of google.

But I've had a problem with my 'new PC' since the day I got it.  I overuse it.

By this I mean I have 3x 24 inch monitors and I fill them up, most if not all the time I have 3 or 4 firefox windows open with multiple tabs in each, often a bunch of youtube clips, facebook, hotmail and all sorts of other random internet rubbish (yes yes, that too).

However my 8Gb of RAM which I thought would be more than plenty, will be fine upon startup... but after a few hours.. or if i leave the PC on overnight - it will get up to 5/6Gb in use and then stay there..  Even if I close down everything and every unnecessary background program, it remains at high usage and quickly then gets to max and starts to error, in the past it even BSOD'd but I've stopped that happening now.

My question/ problem/ want is to find a way to 'clear down'/ 'clean' the RAM whilst the PC is in use so that I get back to the startup status.

I've looked online and found a bunch of small freeware programs that claim to do this, but with task manager and the PC performance monitor up I see no difference and the computer only goes back to a usable and workable state after a reboot.
Clearly this is only a #firstworldproblem and not really a major issue, but it is a pain in the ass and I would rather just be able to wipe the RAM clean if possible.

Tips, clues, solutions, ideas???

ty

PizzicatoXev

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »

What operating system you use?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »

Firefox will use up your memory. When that happens, restart FFor reboot the PC.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »

Firefox will use up your memory. When that happens, restart FFor reboot the PC.

I use Windows 7 and restarting firefox doesn't reset the RAM usage.  'Idle' is still at well over 4Gb which is clearly ludicrous.

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »

(I think) You have to be a bit careful when closing Firefox, even if you close all the windows I'm not sure it goes away. Try closing it fully by clicking on the orange Firefox tab and clicking on "Exit".
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »

task manager will show what is using ram - click on the memory column in the processes tab (to the right of cpu) and it will bring the heavy users to the top
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »

Just checked mine because I have loads of Firefox windows open too and it was taking up 1.2gb of  RAM.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »

If you have 8GB of RAM and are only using 5 or 6GB then the problem is what now?
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »

Yeah firefox has a problem with RAM usage, try ending the process in task manager and load it up again. Or just get chrome?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »

If you have 8GB of RAM and are only using 5 or 6GB then the problem is what now?

That between 4-7Gb of 'idle' usage is clearly ridiculous and not real. Something is holding onto the RAM usage instead of letting it go and so when i have the PC this high when idle, i can't then start a session of poker with hem, TN, PS, stars n everything else because then it goes over 7Gb usage and the PC grinds to a halt @ 7Gb.

Yeah firefox has a problem with RAM usage, try ending the process in task manager and load it up again. Or just get chrome?

Chrome ok? Never used it...
[ ] recommended?

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »

I use it having been a Firefox user for years. Really like it.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »

Wouldn't recommend Chrome instead of Firefox.

Would recommend CCleaner, it clears up temporary/unused files etc and fixes registry issues. Download legally for free right here --> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

What's wrong with just rebooting every few days? I thought this was pretty standard?  There is a tech forum called seven forum which I've used before. I think the posters can be trusted and give good quick advice

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

What's wrong with just rebooting every few days? I thought this was pretty standard?  There is a tech forum called seven forum which I've used before. I think the posters can be trusted and give good quick advice

Most Windows computers need to be rebooted on a daily basis. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

Most Windows computers need to be rebooted on a daily basis. 

Mine doesn't. Luckily it crashes every few days thus saving me the bother.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: